KO Propo awesome servo $40 new??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

KO Propo awesome servo $40 new??

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 02:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Really? Ok thanks. In that case, I already have them.
Old 02-21-2004, 01:39 PM
Tech Regular

Ummm you can easily make your standard servo, or any servo, an FET powered one....

http://www.schumacher.clara.net/servofet.htm

Im gonna try it and let you know how it goes!
Old 02-21-2004, 07:20 PM
Tech Regular

Well it seems to work fine...for now.... We shall see how it performs on the track.
Old 02-21-2004, 10:55 PM
Tech Adept

[QUOTE]Originally posted by seaball
[B]results:

- the metal output gear (w/spline) appears to be a direct fit. i stopped here, as i don't mind the plastic gears for the others and i was beginning to contaminate the whole assembly with my fingers. it appears that the geartrain is a direct fit.

This isn't the one that strips (take it from someone who has gone through 3 gear sets in 4 weeks) its the one all the way opposite the output gear. It usually just loses 3 or 4 teeth. Will have to check into getting the metal gears.

On a side note 4 of us ordered servos and I am the only one that has stripped gears thus far. I'm pretty hard on electrics though.
Old 02-22-2004, 06:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JohnnyRingo
[B]
Originally posted by seaball
results:

- the metal output gear (w/spline) appears to be a direct fit. i stopped here, as i don't mind the plastic gears for the others and i was beginning to contaminate the whole assembly with my fingers. it appears that the geartrain is a direct fit.

This isn't the one that strips (take it from someone who has gone through 3 gear sets in 4 weeks) its the one all the way opposite the output gear. It usually just loses 3 or 4 teeth. Will have to check into getting the metal gears.

As posted above, I stripped mine too. Also, a friend of mine stripped his too after getting the servo. I'm just gonna go with the Metal Gear set.

On a side note 4 of us ordered servos and I am the only one that has stripped gears thus far. I'm pretty hard on electrics though.
Old 02-22-2004, 07:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

notice that i never indicated or implied that the main output gear is the one that strips. my reasons for even changing that gear was to keep horn flex to a minimum, tighten the horn screw down more, and minimize axial play.

all of this was done for precision, not robustness.

i have three hardcore sessions on the servo, and the only complaint that i have is the play that is still present in the actual gear mesh. i looked at the digital version (2123) that someone was running and the play was present in that too.

if i were using a digital servo in my car, i would make dam sure that it didn't have an excessive mechanical deadband. maybe it was just worn, but i can say that the two futabas that i had (9550, 9450), use smaller pitch teeth that yeilded zero backlash.
Old 02-22-2004, 08:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I ordered one of these when I saw the post for $39. I don't think most of you realize what a deal this really is. I pretty much am using all Ko servos right now. They are excellent servos. The 2113 is a steal for $39 compared to what it would normally cost over $80. As far as plastic gears are concerned, too many people have the mind set that you must have metal gears in your servos. This is not true for onroad or 1/10 offroad. Almost all cars have built in servo savers and if your car doesn't have one built in all you have to do is buy a servo saver for the servo for protection. I have only stripped one set of gears in an old Ko PS-1001 fet servo and found some of the matching gears that I needed from some Futaba servos, they were a perfect fit. At the time I could no longer get the gears for the Ko so that is why I looked through some gears from Futaba to find mtching gears. The other thing about Ko servos is how surprising it is to find out how many of their servo parts are compatible with each other. I have two 2015 servos that I bought and the gears and cases for these are a direct fit for my old 1001, so I bought a bunch of extra gears for this servo to have for spares. I also believe that the 2113 uses the same servo case as the 2015, if it does that means the gears can be used in that one as well. I know that the 2015 case is the series 2000 case set and that fits quite a few of their servos.

Also for anyone who does not have a speed control with the fet lead, you can tap the fet lead from the servo directly into the positive lead for your cars battery pack! So it is not a neccessity to have the fet lead on your speedo.
Old 02-23-2004, 07:38 AM
Tech Regular

I might get one of these babies after I see how my standard servo performs with the FET mod done to it. All you have to do for the mod is to cut off the positive (usually red) wire from the servo connector, then connect that to your FET wire out of the ESC. It seems to work MUCH faster, but then again I havent used it on the track yet. We shall see.
Old 02-23-2004, 03:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I just sold mine on Ebay for $59.00

I got to many servo's to mess with the plastic gears.

lol
Old 03-28-2004, 05:07 PM
Tech Master

I had stripped out a gear with the 2113 servo I bought a metal gear set for the 2123 servo and they were a direct fit. The metal gear set was 17$ but now the only gear to go bad is the plastic one and thats only 3 bucks. In fact the whole plastic gear set is only 3 bucks. Im very happy with this servo it is fast and smooth.
Old 03-29-2004, 04:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

Yeah, I forgot to post about my experiences with the metal gear set. I got it because I broke my plastic gears, and the metal gears are great. Like it has been said, they are a direct fit. They work great. Now I can race and not have the fear of breaking them.

-etzkev

P.S. What type of grease is best to lube the metal gears with? Will the white losi diff lube work?
Old 03-29-2004, 07:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Im running a KO 713 in my TC3 with plastic gears and in 9 months ive only gone through one set of gears which aren't too expensive to fix.
Old 03-29-2004, 09:01 PM
Tech Master

KO sells the plastic gears cheap. The gear I broke wasnt the bottom one that usually breaks it was the one above it. So the metal gears will strengthen it up there. But even with the plastic gear set 3 bucks is a cheap fix.
Old 03-30-2004, 08:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The reason I passed on mine was that, even though the gears are cheap, I don't want to have it brake in he main or a qualifier that I'm tq So it had to go.
lol
Old 03-30-2004, 11:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Just buy the metal gear set then. For $58 bucks, you have a top of the line servo then. Thats all I did.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.