Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Orion 10 amp regulator? >

Orion 10 amp regulator?

Orion 10 amp regulator?

Old 07-20-2009, 02:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Orion 10 amp regulator?

I have been running the Orion 10amp regulator for about three weeks know and ever since I switched to lipo(using this regulator), I have been having nothing, but problems. My truck just shuts down in the middle of the track. It will run fine for about 5 laps and then thats when it starts. It seems as if the regutator is sutting down. I lose all power to the truck and the receiver goes into fail-safe. I run the DX3R if anyone has any question about what radio system I use. I thought that I may have ruined my lipo pack but I let my buddy run the pack and he had no problems. I even took my sons mx3 and put it in my truck and it did the same thing, but instead it would try and take off until the oring i use as a throttle return would stop it. I guess my question is does any of you guys have any experiecne with this particular regulator, or have you had similar or the same problems with it?
Old 07-20-2009, 02:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

I run 3 of them. 2 in my buggies and 1 in the truggy. Do you have the voltage set right on the regulator? It should flash atleast 5 times when it's powered up. 5 flashes is 6 volts and it goes up from there. The only problem I've had with one of them is a leg broke on the IC inside. It took me a minute to find it. But if you power the car up and then move the blue heatsink around a bit and see if it cuts out. I took mine apart and put some solder of the cracked leg and stuck another piece of thin foam servo tape on the bottom of the heatsink and put it back together. Been fine since. Hope this helps. Also, just to be sure, make sure your lipo is fully charged just to make sure it's the regulator.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:09 PM
Tech Regular

Yes, my reg. is set correctly 5 flashes... sometimes I do notice that I will lose power very briefly if I fiddle around my radio box, but this happens inconsistently so I cant really pin-point why or what causes it.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:13 PM
Tech Master

Is your regulator in the box? If so, take it out and move the blue heatsink around and see if it acts up. Also check the plug connections to make sure a wire isn't broke inside the insulation or something odd like that.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:32 AM
Tech Regular

Will do, I was so hesitant to make the switch to lipo. This really make me just want to give up and stick with NiMh.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

I got one, it's set at 6.4 volts and have not had any problems with it.
Hope you get yours took care of, call Orion and see what they say!
Old 07-21-2009, 02:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Is this regulator the same as using a castle bec, its also adjustable with the voltage output.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:38 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by trimble
Will do, I was so hesitant to make the switch to lipo. This really make me just want to give up and stick with NiMh.
I wouldn't give up yet. This has been a great regulator for me. I tried one of the Novak bec/regulators and smoked it. It was rated at 5amps and didn't last too long running 2 digital servos and my P/T. It is nice having the extra run time and power with the lipos. Have you tried it in another vehicle if you have one? If all else fails and you take it out, let me know. I'd be happy to open it up and look at it.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mudboger07
Is this regulator the same as using a castle bec, its also adjustable with the voltage output.
According to Castle's site, it performs the same task.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cory Kerber
According to Castle's site, it performs the same task.

Cool i have three of them i can use............
Old 07-22-2009, 11:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I emailed Castle and they said that was one of the BEC's main functions. But i'm concerned whether or not i should mount it inside my receiver box, which may cause overheating.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cory Kerber
I emailed Castle and they said that was one of the BEC's main functions. But i'm concerned whether or not i should mount it inside my receiver box, which may cause overheating.
That was my worry also, but in the times i have ran the cc bec on 3 cell lipo it has never gotten hot so im not sure if there will be a problem with it getting hot in the battery box....