Wiki Posts
Search

pbs VS c-hub

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 05:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default pbs VS c-hub

for someone who has driven both types, can anyone give the negatives and positives on each. This seams to be a big reason someone might buy one car or another. It's actually the only "real" difference between some buggies.

Ok.

ready

set

GO!!!
Old 07-16-2009, 06:08 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

PBS is a pain in the AZZ!!! Balls need maintenance, and add 20 minutes to all your front end work, plus the ball caps never go in straight and strip the Knuckles..I hate PBS and that was a major factor in me choosing the 808 over the Mugen>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>GO!!!
Old 07-16-2009, 06:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

PBS tends to enter a corner well and leave well. Mid corner steering has seemed to be an issue with all PBS cars. C hubs and the Losi version of the C hub feel more smooth through a corner to me.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaz240
Balls need maintenance
For some reason, I found this really funny.

Honestly, I've never tried a PBS car. I don't like the looks of PBS. Looks like such a pain.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:19 PM
Tech Elite

well i only know pillow balls so i don't know any better. I think the idea is great. the balls should give the greatest range of motion right?

Ok so

c-hub 3

pbs 0

is there anyone who does like the pillow ball setup besides me?

is there a conversion kit i could try out?
Old 07-16-2009, 07:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Ask someone at the track if you can try their Losi, Xray, Associated, Hot Bodies, etc.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:30 PM
Tech Elite

i don't understand what could be that differant. I have 7955 servos the wheels should be tight with that kind of torque. I mean how different could they be? I would think the pbs would have more stability, they offer the greatest range of motion. if my car is on i can't even move my tires by hand.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:37 PM
Tech Adept

I'd put my mugen against any other car when it comes to turning. I ran a c-hub car (kyosho) for a while and never had a problem.Now I run a pillow ball car and don't have anything negative to say about it.Both worked fine for me...
Old 07-16-2009, 07:44 PM
Tech Elite

glad to hear it.

I think most people just don't like the way they look. I am not crazy about it either.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:53 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I like pivot balls. The downside is unsprung weight and tricky to set up for a noob.

Upside, very wide range of adjustments and durable.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

i chose pbs over c-hub for durability and maintenance. ive had 2 of both cars and the pbs got as much maintenance in a year as the c-hub got each race day. theres too many screws in a c-hub suspension to fall out or strip. and if one does fall out you usually have to take off 2 others to get it back in. pbs you can strip out the knuckle if you don't lign it up first but that goes for any screw, but once they are set you are done, just wd-40 every cleaning and open and clean before a big race. c-hub suspension has 2 small bars of plastic that hold the lower hinge pin, for the pbs its a steel rod. hit a pipe in the middle of the straight and pbs will outlast c-hub all day. as far as turning goes, setup has more to do with how a car turns than how far the wheels go around and c-hub has the edge here, barely. with some modding you can get more turning out of c-hub or pbs. the losi suspension is different somehow, its like a reversed c-hub where the hub is outside? it is very durable and turns a lot also and has been working for them for a while now.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

It's hard to tell if the Pillow Ball shaft i crooked or bent. For me at least.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Personally I have driven all 3 setups. I really like the Losi C-hub design the best. It is easy to work on and I have never had any problem with that design. The C-hub design usually stips out at the king pin bushings unless you buy the expensive aluminum set. Used to drive me nuts. And now I drive a pb system. It is very durable, but can be a bear to work on and setup, but has been overall very good. There is not much of a turning difference between them if you ask me. So I would rate it like this:

1. Losi design
2. Pillow ball
3. C-hub
Old 07-17-2009, 12:22 AM
Tech Regular

Driven both, in regards of steering you can improve or fail just as much with diff and geometric set up - neither gives sooo much more or less steering.

Bump steer seems to be worce with PIVOTball, but nothing you cant get used to - won EC and third in WC.

PBS does take more punishment - dont even bother claim anything else (Toyota landcruiser troop-carrier uses PBS)

C-hub is easier to mantain - hands down.
C-hub gets sloppier - and stays sloppy.
PBS - you can remove play by tightening

Steel balls seem better than lightweigt - probably worth the extra grams, use the balls from X5R (use the balls... hahaha)

If tamiya support doesent get any better in my area, I'll probably change to Mugen or Xray, I'm probably going for Xray, just out of curiosity.
But deep down inside, I really feel for Mugen, with or without PBS!
Old 07-17-2009, 01:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

PBS: instant caster adjustement.

Paul

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.