Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice on 1/8 Scale Car Balance Needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 06:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Advice on 1/8 Scale Car Balance Needed

What is the ideal balance point of an 1/8 Scale On-road car?

The Chassis is a Mugen MRX-4X

I believe it would be centered side to side along the long axis of the chassis.
But I'm not sure centered between the front and rear axle is correct or not.

This is my first 1/8 scale On-Road Car and want to do it right.

I have some ability to move some of my drive gear around, so thats why I'm asking.
(Out of respect for the Nitro Guys I'm not sayng how I can "move my drive gear around")

Thanks in Advance
Old 07-15-2009, 07:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default 1/8th car

Originally Posted by everything_rc
What is the ideal balance point of an 1/8 Scale On-road car?

The Chassis is a Mugen MRX-4X

I believe it would be centered side to side along the long axis of the chassis.
But I'm not sure centered between the front and rear axle is correct or not.

This is my first 1/8 scale On-Road Car and want to do it right.

I have some ability to move some of my drive gear around, so thats why I'm asking.
(Out of respect for the Nitro Guys I'm not sayng how I can "move my drive gear around")

Thanks in Advance
Best way to do this is get the Hudy set-up station and set the tweak. This will balance out the chassis. They have cheaper set up stations, but you can get it right on the money with the Hudy station
Old 07-15-2009, 07:20 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

He's not talking about tweak, he's asking about front/rear weight bias.

You are correct, centered or 50/50 is not what you want. You want it shifted towards the rear. Can't tell you how much though as I have never measured it.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:47 AM
Tech Apprentice

You got it, what I'm asking is;

What is the correct front/rear weight bias of a 1/8 scale Nitro On Road Car??

Thanks

Kevin P.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:34 AM
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

You got it, what I'm asking is;

What is the correct front/rear weight bias of a 1/8 scale Nitro On Road Car??

Thanks

Kevin P.
i don't think there is 1 answer. instead you might think of this as a tuning option.

if you are underweight and need to add some lead, then consider putting it under fuel tank to rotate harder, or maybe in front on the bumper to slow down the rotation. this is more personal taste and track condition dependent.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:45 AM
Tech Lord

My old car with heavy servo's, my new car does have some lighter servo's and makes about 28 gram difference

Old 07-17-2009, 08:52 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by avs
i don't think there is 1 answer. instead you might think of this as a tuning option.

if you are underweight and need to add some lead, then consider putting it under fuel tank to rotate harder, or maybe in front on the bumper to slow down the rotation. this is more personal taste and track condition dependent.
I agree with AVS that there is no correct place to put weight and this falls under car set up theory. I like to keep wieght low and towards the rear of the car for less weight to turn and quicker repsonse.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:55 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Roelof
My old car with heavy servo's, my new car does have some lighter servo's and makes about 28 gram difference

I see you put a roller above your front pully. I did the same and can now go all year on a front belt
Old 07-17-2009, 02:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks Guys,

Here is the scoop about what I'm after.

I'm building a Brushless Lipo Mugen MRX-4X and was just looking for a target front/rear weight bias. I will have the ability to adjust some, but since I've never had a 1/8 scale nitro car, I don't know what the front/rear bias is on a race ready good handling car. Just looking for someone to balance their car and give me some suggestion on where to start.

Thanks in Advance to anyone who can offer this kind of help.

Thanks

Kevin P.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:14 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Look at the numbers on Roelof's post. that would be a good place to start.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default car balance

Thanks Guys,

Here is the scoop about what I'm after.

I'm building a Brushless Lipo Mugen MRX-4X and was just looking for a target front/rear weight bias. I will have the ability to adjust some, but since I've never had a 1/8 scale nitro car, I don't know what the front/rear bias is on a race ready good handling car. Just looking for someone to balance their car and give me some suggestion on where to start.

Thanks in Advance to anyone who can offer this kind of help.

Thanks

Kevin P.
I saw a guy drive a brushless Evolva at our local track about 2 weeks ago, and I was very impressed with the speed and power. He was still working out the handling issues, as the car pushed hard in the corners, and was so light in the front end it would lift on the backstraight. I am sure he will work out the problems, and hopefully these brushless 1/8th scale will take off.
Are you converting the car yourself, or using one of the new conversion kits that I have heard about. I have a spare Evolva that I have been thinking about converting to electric.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Are you converting the car yourself, or using one of the new conversion kits that I have heard about. I have a spare Evolva that I have been thinking about converting to electric.
Well I'm doing this myself, with the addition of a stub shaft purchsed from RC Monster that allows the use of the two speed pinions with a brushless motor with 5mm shaft.

I've converted a few Offroad cars to brushless electric, and I can confirm the power and speed, not to mention the power control offered by a electric over nitro. Don't get me wrong I'm just starting to race Nitro Offroad with a Mugen MBX6T and now I "get" nitro, but my first love is fast electric.

The reason for my post was to keep away from the same problem the guy you know who had with the push, I'm sure I can get the 50/50 front to rear weight balance.

I'll post some stuff once testing begins. I'm almost done with the car, just another couple nights, an a micro digital servo for the brakes and I'm ready to test.

Thanks
Old 07-19-2009, 07:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

Roelof,

Thanks for the time and effort getting me the great answer.

Sorry for the delay in my thanks, I just noticed the scales in your picture, guess I need to pay more attention

Thanks Again

Kevin P.