Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who makes the highest quality engine?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 07:38 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by dreaux
that would be similar the mugen making a ninja?? Yea, i don't know how i missed that.

I have a .26 picco that was RETARDED on the bottom. I think the jammin will even be better. THey have good longevity? are parts really expensive? Well i will go look at that myself. Hold on.

oh well the only part i found really was the rear bearing for 50$
Nitrohouse.com should have parts for the Jammin. The parts are about the same price as O.S. or any of the major companies.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

so i am down to a nova toro nerro, speed, jammin.

this will be difficult. But i don't think there is a wrong choice here. but i do want to make the right one.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:40 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

that would be similar the mugen making a ninja?? Yea, i don't know how i missed that.

I have a .26 picco that was RETARDED on the bottom. I think the jammin will even be better. THey have good longevity? are parts really expensive? Well i will go look at that myself. Hold on.

oh well the only part i found really was the rear bearing for 50$
I love Piccos. The only reason I wouldn't put them on my list of highest quality engines is that they do have carb issues from time to time. So far, the .12's I've been working on for my buddies have been flawless though.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:41 PM
Tech Lord

this will be difficult. But i don't think there is a wrong choice here. but i do want to make the right one.
None of those three is a wrong choice.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:42 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

for run times its The Nova or speed..for price and power its the Picco/Jammin
Old 07-15-2009, 07:42 PM
Tech Master

Did you get my PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:43 PM
Tech Elite

see you all tomorrow.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:50 PM
Tech Elite

nevermind. Replied your pm. And jazz, are you saying the jammin has more punch then the speed?
Old 07-15-2009, 07:55 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

No vspec running strong. Over the 5 gallon mark. Learned alot on this engine. Besides i want something new/ different. I know i could win with a vspec. And when it's all said and done might just get another vspec or speed. I think i want to stay away from a modded motor for the time being. But who knows when i might change my mind he he he
In the beginning of this year I was on the hunt for the ultimate engine with top, mid and bottom. I tried modded and they were great I even went up to a .28 in the truggy and it had tons of power but poor mileage. The guys I run with are usually only separated by a few seconds from the top 5 spots and sometimes its 1/10ths of a second, so over a 30 min main every pit counts and extra pits hurt you. I have finally ended my search with the OS speed engine. This engine has tons of bottom and endless top end. I always get a WTF kinda engine do you have in that thing. My search ended prematurely prob because I dropped the 500 bucks and stopped messing around. The ultimate performance comes at a price. Sure there are guys who will run circles around the big engines with Nova BF's and other budget engines, It all depends on the driver. Just because you have all the power in the world if you cant put it to good use then its useless. Personally I am hooked on the OS speed engines and the bling factor suites me well
Old 07-15-2009, 07:57 PM
Tech Elite

the toro nerro looks very good. I don't really like the purple head, but that is nitpicking. It doesn't have a coated crank like the ninja or speed. but that is really not a big deal either as long as i can get 7 or 8 gallons out of it. Another thing, it says it has a single adjustable carb. It only has one needle? or it just doesn't have a mid range?

It doesn't have a ceramic bearing either. Should that matter?
Old 07-15-2009, 08:00 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

the toro nerro looks very good. I don't really like the purple head, but that is nitpicking. It doesn't have a coated crank like the ninja or speed. but that is really not a big deal either as long as i can get 7 or 8 gallons out of it. Another thing, it says it has a single adjustable carb. It only has one needle? or it just doesn't have a mid range?

It doesn't have a ceramic bearing either. Should that matter?
They have 2 needle carbs, just no mid range but who touches the mid range needle anyway. Ceramic bearings are great for engines. Nova has kept their price down by not putting one in. Personally I would pay an extra 20-30 bucks for the ceramic rear bearing.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:02 PM
Tech Elite

i will have to continue this tomorrow. Bedtime. 4:30 comes early
Old 07-15-2009, 08:13 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Frank L
Ceramic bearings are great for engines. Nova has kept their price down by not putting one in. Personally I would pay an extra 20-30 bucks for the ceramic rear bearing.
I agree, the only problem is that Nova's ceramic bearings cost a fortune. Easy solution, break it in with the stock bearings and once it's ready to race, drop in a set of TKO bearings and you're good to go.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I really like the modified Picco/JPX engines....they tune easy,start easy,idle well they make wicked power and they last very well.. Picco uses great steel for the cranks so the crank pins rarely wear, as well the piston/sleeve seems to last an exceptionally long time, in many cases the engines will hold mechanical pinch for several gallons.... Picco plugs are also great quality and seem to last longer then any other brand I use... All in all for the money these are rock solid exciting to engines to run.... The performance is stellar, they sound nasty and have proven to be very reliable..... I do engines for many racers, tho you may not see me in the big events yet, there are dozens of average Joe racers doing wicked with my engines..My engines are tuned to have a strong punchy low end and a rippin top end, every time you clamp the trigger you will have a smile on your face ! . I am just a small company in Canada, but I am growing day by day one step at a time.......

Anyways here is a picture from the Canadian Winter nationals of the guys running my engines and their results...No big name racers yet, just average club guys out to have a weekend of fun..

Old 07-15-2009, 09:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

All are good choices, but honestly if you can afford it go with the speed all the way. The novas are great engines, but IMO don't make the power of the OS's. Also like you mentioned the cranks aren't coated, which is fine, but they WON'T last as long as a coated crank(not saying the engine itself, but the crank). Another downside is that they don't include a ceramic bearing, but that is simple to take care of with a set of TKO's. To me though, the biggest downside of the nova's is the high price tag on parts. Con rods can be up to $60. OS rods, even speed rods are no more than $45(not $75). You can also use a ninja rod in the speed(same rod) which will set you back less than $40. The jammin's are awesome engines, but simply don't get the fuel milage of the others. The OS is your best bet if you can afford it. It has an awesome powerband and great fuel milage. Can't go wrong with the speed...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.