Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Droop Height - Something isn't right please help! >

Droop Height - Something isn't right please help!

Droop Height - Something isn't right please help!

Old 07-15-2009, 04:00 PM
Tech Rookie

Unhappy Droop Height - Something isn't right please help!

Hello,

I'm a bit of a n00b so please forgive my ignorance! I am trying to set the droop height on my XXXS.

I don't have a droop gauge so I am using my ride height gauge by backing off the droop height screws, setting the ride height, then lifting the car to calculate the droop height.

This is where the confusing comes in... everything I have read says that the car should life a couple of mm before the tires lift from the floor. This doesn't happen with my car, the tires lift off immediately - there is no 'up travel'.

What on earth am I doing wrong? it's driving me nuts!

Thanks in advance,
Toby.

Last edited by tobydeh; 07-15-2009 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Title
Old 07-15-2009, 05:48 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tobydeh
Hello,

I'm a bit of a n00b so please forgive my ignorance! I am trying to set the droop height on my XXXS.

I don't have a droop gauge so I am using my ride height gauge by backing off the droop height screws, setting the ride height, then lifting the car to calculate the droop height.

This is where the confusing comes in... everything I have read says that the car should life a couple of mm before the tires lift from the floor. This doesn't happen with my car, the tires lift off immediately - there is no 'up travel'.

Thanks in advance,
Toby.
because you set your droop with that droop screws on that car, XXX-S have those screws on flexible bumper that change every time or also spring always pushes bumper/droop screws outta wack.

we do have a dedicated forum for XXX-S and on page 937 that I explaind why and how to set droop right.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/4-losi-xxx-s-937.html

good luck
Old 07-15-2009, 07:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Hello,

Thanks in advance,
Toby.
setting droop on these cars can be very difficult.cause the droop screws are on the bottom of the arm.when i had mine i actually drilled a whole and used ae tc3 droop screws...i have always set droop in this manner.

back the droop screw out all the way as if they were not in at all.
set your ride height...if you want 5mm set that all for corners using your ride height gage.
once you have reached your 5mm of ride height you will then set droop.

say if you want 2mm droop front/rear.
set the chassi on the 7mm on your ride height gage.
screw the screw down untill the tire lifts off the table.then turn the screw back untill the tire touches the table.do this process on all 4 corners and you have set droop on the car...yuor droop would be 2mm over ride height...hope this helps.....depending on what you race you will want different ride height and droop settings...lmk what you racing and i can try to give you a good starting point....lmk
Old 07-15-2009, 09:00 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

if your tires are lifting up immediately, your springs are probably too hard or you have your collars too far down. In either case, your suspension isn't "settling".
Old 07-15-2009, 09:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

if i remember correctly with the xxxs there was a issue with the shocks not being long enough to make ride height. this may be the issue,later they came out with a slightly longer shock, you might want to take the shocks apart and make sure theres no internal limiters on the shock shaft,
Old 07-15-2009, 09:15 PM
Tech Master

maybe your shocks are not long enough,sounds like when your setting ride height your shocks might be fully extended. try unscrewing your ball ends on your shocks a couple mm
Old 07-16-2009, 01:26 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Check the chassis isnt tweaked.

Just have a look from front along the bottom and see if it is twisted. SOunds like it is so back off the top plate screws , hold chassis flat and tighten screws.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:21 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for your help everyone.

Originally Posted by morris
say if you want 2mm droop front/rear.
set the chassi on the 7mm on your ride height gage.
screw the screw down untill the tire lifts off the table.then turn the screw back untill the tire touches the table.do
The problem is morris when I put my car on the 7mm ride height, my tires lift of the table... when I tighten the droop screws they just lift further up.

Thanks,
Toby.

Last edited by tobydeh; 07-16-2009 at 04:33 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-16-2009, 08:00 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Thirtybird
if your tires are lifting up immediately, your springs are probably too hard or you have your collars too far down. In either case, your suspension isn't "settling".
+1
Happened to me last night.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Thanks for your help everyone.

The problem is morris when I put my car on the 7mm ride height, my tires lift of the table... when I tighten the droop screws they just lift further up.

Thanks,
Toby.

Did you try loosening the droop screws? You loosen them and you still don't get any droop it's one of two things: your shocks are too short or your ride height is too high...

When we race, it 5-5.5mm rear ride height (Out door asphalt)...

FYI: To measure droop with a ride-height gauge, simply take off the tires and set the car on a flat surface. Now use your ride height gauge to measure the distance up to the bottom of the outer-most edge of the control arm. To add droop, make that number smaller (arm closer to the table). To reduce droop raise that number (arm further from the table). Good luck...

Last edited by 94eg!; 07-16-2009 at 08:56 AM.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:02 AM
Tech Rookie

I have the ride height set at 5 / 5.5 mm, the collars are in normal positions.

Could it be that I have rebuilt the shocks badly? too much or too little oil?

If I measure the droop with a ride height gauge from the table do the same measurements apply? If i read 7 mm front and 9 mm rear from a setup sheet would i measure the same figures on the ride height gauge or do i need to convert them?

Thanks for all your help.

Cheers,
Toby.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:51 AM
Tech Champion

I have the ride height set at 5 / 5.5 mm, the collars are in normal positions.

Could it be that I have rebuilt the shocks badly? too much or too little oil?

If I measure the droop with a ride height gauge from the table do the same measurements apply? If i read 7 mm front and 9 mm rear from a setup sheet would i measure the same figures on the ride height gauge or do i need to convert them?

Thanks for all your help.

Cheers,
Toby.
ok i see what you are saying...the maybe poorly built shocks with to much oil/not enoupgh would only affect rebound.
definately sounds like you might have short shock shafts...or maybe the shock bottom is screwed up to far on the shaft...
im not sure of the measurement on how long those shafts are to be.but see if ya can take the shocks apart and measure them..usually the shock bottom should screw up to the threads on the shaft....hope you get it all figured out..
Old 07-16-2009, 11:53 AM
Tech Champion

oh one more question.do the shocks have adjustable collars?or are they the ones that have to be adjusted with the plastic thing that slides up/down the shock?
Old 07-17-2009, 05:15 AM
Tech Rookie

Ok ill measure them. Is it acceptable to unscrew the ends sightly to make them longer?

They have the collars that slide up and down, I have the standards XXXS not the graphite.

Toby.