Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Locking center diff

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 11:20 AM
Tech Regular

Default Locking center diff

i locked the center diff on my 8 scale buggy it gave it really fast accleration but its hard to control is it bad to do that
Old 07-15-2009, 11:31 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by davidg01234
i locked the center diff on my 8 scale buggy it gave it really fast accleration but its hard to control is it bad to do that
yes, now you have not slip, which give the ride stablity
Old 07-15-2009, 11:34 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by token
yes, now you have not slip, which give the ride stablity
what do u mean no slip
Old 07-15-2009, 11:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

LOL

Did you not think there might be a reason there is a center diff in your car.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:42 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Not advisable in my opinion. And why would you wan t to eliminate a tuning point on your car?
Old 07-15-2009, 11:43 AM
Tech Regular

You may have gotten more forward drive, but now your center diff will not distribute power to the front or rear when you start to loose traction, or in off power steering.

If you want a fully locking diff get a smart diff or an active diff that you can fit into your ride. This way it unlocks on off power like it needs to so you get an even distribution of power to your front and rear. If you don't let the diff unlock and unload power you will never be able to keep consistant times b/c you will never be able to come in and out of a turn consistant enough each time.

IMO a bad choice unless your just dragging or running on nothing but straights. Technical tight tracks would kill you.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:44 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
LOL

Did you not think there might be a reason there is a center diff in your car.
well im not that smart about this stuff. so why is it bad to lock it and is it bad to lock the front and rear to
Old 07-15-2009, 11:46 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RJNicholson
You may have gotten more forward drive, but now your center diff will not distribute power to the front or rear when you start to loose traction, or in off power steering.

If you want a fully locking diff get a smart diff or an active diff that you can fit into your ride. This way it unlocks on off power like it needs to so you get an even distribution of power to your front and rear. If you don't let the diff unlock and unload power you will never be able to keep consistant times b/c you will never be able to come in and out of a turn consistant enough each time.

IMO a bad choice unless your just dragging or running on nothing but straights. Technical tight tracks would kill you.
ya they would kill me because i cant control it at all. But before i did this the front was getting more power than the rear
Old 07-15-2009, 11:46 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Frank L
Not advisable in my opinion. And why would you wan t to eliminate a tuning point on your car?
because before i did it the front was getting more power than the back
Old 07-15-2009, 11:47 AM
Tech Regular

Locked up diffs = no off power steering a very bad thing in 1/8th scale off road.

Diffs have different thickness of oils for the affect you are looking for. I would read up on using different oils with different weights to get the locking affect you are looking for with out fully locking the diff and loosing all your off power steering.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:48 AM
Tech Regular

Put a thicker oil in the center. It will keep the diff from unloading to the front or rear so easily.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:50 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

David, didn't you lock your diff just so you can do donuts? didn't you also disconnect the front CVD so you only have rear wheel drive..You need to let everyone know why you locked your diff or you will just continue to get silly replies. For normal applications locking your center diff is useless, especially if racing..but for what you are using it for you should be fine..Just dont expect the car to handle like it used to..when you get tired of donuts and drifting, take the Putty out of your center diff..you did use some sort of putty like I recommended didn't You? I sure hope you didn't use any type of glue..then you need to buy a new diff
Old 07-15-2009, 11:50 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RJNicholson
Locked up diffs = no off power steering a very bad thing in 1/8th scale off road.

Diffs have different thickness of oils for the affect you are looking for. I would read up on using different oils with different weights to get the locking affect you are looking for with out fully locking the diff and loosing all your off power steering.
well all my difs have this screw that i can screw in to lock or screw out to unlock. my LHas said i didnt need any diff oils. I have the ofna lx one
Old 07-15-2009, 11:52 AM
Tech Elite

The puropse of center diff is more of a traction control feature - push/pull - it gives the ride a true 4 wheel drive.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:53 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Jaz240
David, didn't you lock your diff just so you can do donuts? didn't you also disconnect the front CVD so you only have rear wheel drive..You need to let everyone know why you locked your diff or you will just continue to get silly replies. For normal applications locking your center diff is useless, especially if racing..but for what you are using it for you should be fine..Just dont expect the car to handle like it used to..when you get tired of donuts and drifting, take the Putty out of your center diff..you did use some sort of putty like I recommended didn't You? I sure hope you didn't use any type of glue..then you need to buy a new diff
well i like to bash around and occasianally go to the track but i will loosen it up so i dont spin out

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.