Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Compare betwen MBX6 and Xray 808

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 07:45 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Neither of the cars will wear out on you, they are both excellent quality. If you were to break a part, which car's parts are easier for you to get? Like others have said, it's hard to go wrong with either car. The Xray does have more delicate pinion bearings (smaller balls, larger diameter races=faster ball speed) but the failures are most often caused by neglect. I have had the same bearings fail on an MBX5 (standard 8x16's) because I forgot to re-lube them for 5 gallons. In that time I had been in those gearboxes a few times to change diff oil, should've checked them, my fault.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

i own an xray 808 preferably i like mugen better then xray but they are basically even some like xrays desighn a bit better then mugen and other way around i love xray and mugen but mugen to me just last longer with easier maitenence
Old 06-15-2010, 04:32 AM
BSC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

I owned 2 x 808's , 08 , 09 , and it is the best quality car on the market .
When building the 808 you can feel and see the quality.
The 808 is the most reliable car i have owned .
The Mugen is a great car and good quality.
It is also reliable and a great build but comes second to the 808 build , quality and reliability.
I went to the MBX6 because it is faster !
My lap times were quicker from the first race.
It might suit my driving style better but the times didn't lie.
I was hoping that XRAY would make a major change to take another step forward so i could run them again but the longer chassis didn't do it for me.
I'm sure XRAY & MUGEN will come out with something different in the future .
Old 06-15-2010, 10:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Hmm

I see so many racers go with the Mugen because it's a little cheaper, drives easily, and is durable, however, the Xray just has something extra, The one area people complain about is my favorite part of the car, the captured pinion is super reliable, never had one fail, while mugen have weird noises coming from their ring and pinion area, mostly the setscrew backing off or the little play in the pinion bearing area, which I fixed, I work on my friends cars and they all have mugens, great cars, and probably a bit faster, but I like working on the xray cars a lot more, and another thing, the mugen steel like on the diff gears rusts really easily, everytime I rebuild one the center diff gear is really rusty and I have to buff all the rust off, not a big deal, but kinda strange, and the diffs leak, not cool at all, nothing leaks on my xray. To be fair, the Mugen chassis is a bit less flexable and lasts a little longer, and the suspension travel of the Mugen is a plus for sure. tough call, your choice right...