Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need roar legal .12 suggestions for nitro r40 newb

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2004, 09:13 PM
Tech Adept

Default Need roar legal .12 suggestions for nitro r40 newb

Ok, i'm in the process of compiling parts for a nitro car for this spring, my track uses roar rules. I used to run electric, so forgive my lack of knowledge.
I'm not totally sure of what all the rules are, but i'm thinking you guys know.
We only run the .12 class.

The motor will most likely be on an r40, possibly a g4.

I really don't want to break the bank, i need something reliable for a first time nitro tuner, but yet competitive.

Also what's the deal with the carbs? Is slide carb the best?
Side exhaust or rear exhaust?
Pipe and header?
And i don't want a pull start.

I realize i could check the r40 thread, but seems to me like the little guys and the rookies posts fall through the cracks.

Thanks,
Joe
Old 01-11-2004, 09:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

Since its going to be you forst nitro engine i woudl suggest an east and reliable engine for you..... the OS 12TR is a very reliable engine and doesnt cost an arm or a leg.

Rear exhaust is the best way to go with a nitro tourer and having the slide carb is smoother action in the acceleration of the car. Now if you are lookikng for power and expense doesnt matter... i would suggest the Novarossi NS12S3...... my opinion is this the best engine on the market.

hope this helps......
Old 01-11-2004, 09:47 PM
Tech Adept

So far locally most people say OS is the best for a rookie, and novarossi is the best, but i've seen those novarossi prices and i'm not ready for that yet.

Will side and rear exhaust both work on the r40?
Old 01-11-2004, 09:50 PM
Tech Regular

Engine: 3 port Novarossi NS.12
Pipe: Novarossi P/N 52606

If money is an issue:
Get the Sirio Roar legal .12 or the OS, a good alternative to the Novarossi pipe is the RD logics pipe too, very durable and strong performance.

Carb: Slide carb for sure
Exhaust: Rear exhaust for sure (as all NS12 base engines are)
As of 2004, both turbo and std glowplugs are all Roar legal, so I would go for turbo plugs, just because you don't need to hassle with the copper gasket.

Get this and live happily ever after.

Good luck racing !
Old 01-11-2004, 09:52 PM
Tech Regular

OS is good bang for the buck, very reliable... But for all out power it falls a little short of the NS12S3. On a short parking lot type track you would not be left behind in an O.S. engine, but on a large permanent track there would be a noticable difference.
Old 01-11-2004, 10:03 PM
Tech Adept

Ok, then here's a pic of the track it will be used on

fmozler, could you explain the plugs thing to me? Can any motor take both or are the motors different?

I really wanted to spend around $150 for my first motor, but if 175 or 200 will get me a much noticeable difference, i might be willing to shell out the extra few bucks.

thanks,
Joe
Old 01-11-2004, 10:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hey Joe.. The O.S. .12 tr is a great motor but only on the smaller track's.. I had the same Question when i got my Mugen MTX 3. I run at a medium track not quite as big as the one you will be running at, and the other motors were all pulling from me.. True the infield was good for the o.s. because it has great mid-range, but still, the lack of power compared to the other motor's was very noticeable.. I ended up going with a sirio .12 3- port and it's been a night and day diffrence.. The novarossi's are wonderfull also but they are very expensive..But if you are wanting a motor without having to upgrade for a while they would be the one..Do it right the first time if you can.. You'll end up saving money on the long run.. hope this help's.. Robyn..

p.s. I did end up with a nova rossi ns .12 3-port. It's worth it if you are going to race..hard core.. good luck.. and let me know what you endded up chosing..
Old 01-11-2004, 10:23 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks girl, I do agree with the do it once and right theory, i was just afraid i might ruin my first motor. If well maintained will a motor last a 10 week season?
What model numbers should i look at for the novarossi? I don't know too much about them, so i'd appreciate everyone being specific.
Thanks
Old 01-11-2004, 10:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

What model numbers should i look at for the novarossi? I don't know too much about them, so i'd appreciate everyone being specific.
See if you can find a mugen MR-12 or even a MT 12 there great and easy to tune. There also made by Novarossi. There a little less expensive than the NS 12 s3. If you decide on a motor and want the best price, give me a holler.. i'll help you locate the best deal.. R.
Old 01-11-2004, 11:40 PM
Tech Regular

If your prepared to go Overseas, for engines HK is the only place to go. Harmony models n HK have NS12 S3 for $200US or somethin liek that.
Old 01-12-2004, 12:44 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If you're on the budget, O.S 12TR is one of the good choice, owned one and very satisfied with the performance. O.S really easy to tune, really helped me build my tuning stages. I personally would like to get me MR12. It's under 200 bux and it has a great torque and pretty smooth high end. I've seen one running and really impressed. Good luck with all the choices out there and let us know what you end up with.
Old 01-12-2004, 02:09 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by front1wayFreak
If you're on the budget, O.S 12TR is one of the good choice, owned one and very satisfied with the performance. O.S really easy to tune, really helped me build my tuning stages. I personally would like to get me MR12. It's under 200 bux and it has a great torque and pretty smooth high end. I've seen one running and really impressed. Good luck with all the choices out there and let us know what you end up with.
Let me see now . . .
You run a NS12S5 and a NovaMax and then you say:
I personally would like to get me MR12

2000xp8,
If you can stretch the budget for one of freefallgirl's suggestions, I think you'd find it worthwhile. They aren't that hard to tune and if you got into some difficulties, I'd expect you could soon make some new friends at the track to get it sorted.
Old 01-12-2004, 04:49 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally posted by 2000xp8
So far locally most people say OS is the best for a rookie, and novarossi is the best, but i've seen those novarossi prices and i'm not ready for that yet.

Will side and rear exhaust both work on the r40?
rear exhaust only on the r40...

Great car....

I would also try to step up to even a milder nova based engine..

I ran my r40 with at the hpi world finals with an OS turbo...and that was a tad slower than than the other cars....(It was at the silver bowl,which a pretty decent sized track..)
Old 01-12-2004, 08:46 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by 2000xp8
Ok, then here's a pic of the track it will be used on

fmozler, could you explain the plugs thing to me? Can any motor take both or are the motors different?

I really wanted to spend around $150 for my first motor, but if 175 or 200 will get me a much noticeable difference, i might be willing to shell out the extra few bucks.

thanks,
Joe
At that track, the Novarossi will definately have an edge over the O.S. Engine. Plugs: There are two types, std and turbo, the main difference is that the turbo plug seals by a conical surface and the std has a copper gasket for sealing of the combustion chamber. For performace, the two are very, very similar, it has been argued that turbo plugs gives a better seal, thus in theory raising the compression of the engine, but in all honesty, I don't think you would ever notice the difference, the benefit of turbo is that you do not have the loose copper gasket to contend with, and therfore it is, in my opinion a better solution. Typically, the Novarossi engines come with either std plug or turbo (it is a different head button for the two types) but it is easy to get the other button and swap forth and back, so with the change of one part, the same enigne can accomodate both versions. As for engine life, In a 10 week race season, you might use up about 2-2.5 gallons of fuel if you run a lot. I have an old novarossi engine that has 9 gallons of fuel through it and still runs great. Take care of the engine and it will last at least 2-3 race seasons before having to rebuild. I also agree that it is way better to buy the real race engine now than feeling the need to upgrade later.
Old 01-12-2004, 09:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i would recomend the nova based engine with the ns12 being
my first choice. if you want to go a little cheaper you could go
with the mr12 but you might get more use out of the ns12
because of better casting process used on the piston for the
ns12. for pipes try the yokomo ze-mmpp pipe,or the latest novarossi pipe if you want to wait the new rd pipes are gonna
be available with two header lenghts wich should help with
tuning and performance from track to track

Last edited by jwf_frani; 01-12-2004 at 10:46 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.