Wiki Posts
Search

Comment about the hpi E10 Touring

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 08:31 PM
von
Tech Rookie

Questions?? Comment about the hpi E10 Touring

hey guys what do you think about the hpi E10 Touring?
Old 07-07-2009, 08:50 PM
Tech Rookie

It seems to be a very standard but good entry level car. I know from a side by side comparison the TT-01 from Tamiya ranks slightly higher, but some people may disagree. There isn't many hopups compared to what you can get for the TT-01 either. There is literally hundreds of different parts for the TT-01. It is also a very basic entry level car, but I think it has a little more potential.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:58 AM
von
Tech Rookie

Exclamation Comment about the hpi E10 Touring

ya..your right but the E10 has now hoop up parts all are alluminum,i have my E10 and i put some tamiya parts on it,some of my friends say that i should try to change my chasi and get the HPI electric part from E10,but for now ill try my E10 to the extend.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The E10 sucks. I started racing with it, and the motor mount came undone every time you turned too tightly, the shaft rubbed against the servo and battery, and every time I crashed (and sometimes when I didn't!) it went into the spur gear, giving me RWD. Then the little drive shaft to the back went into the spur gear too, giving me no drive at all. That happened most heats on the track. Also, if you bumped the front the wishbones popped out, the suspension isn't adjustable at all, the shock towers flex, the shock mountings are non standard and it just plain sucks!

Then I put a 19t motor in. Bye bye diff pinion gears!

Don't get one. Get a TT01 or TA05 instead.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

A "stock" E10 can be fun for bashing or drifting. If you are planning on racing the E10, I would suggest slower classes like VTA or 6-cell/stock speeds. The limitations of the car shouldn't be as big of an issue.

HPI is slowly releasing hop-up parts. They recently released an aluminum motor mount. They also have an aluminum drive shaft and universals to address some of the issues with the drive train using faster motors. I also recently saw on HPI Japan that they may be releasing adjustable upper a-arms. However, some individuals have found ways to modify the upper a-arm to adjust camber.

There are a few other companies that make aftermarket parts for the E10, like better shock towers that allow the use of regular oil filled shocks. If you do a search on eBay you can find a few of these companies.

The E10 was designed as an entry level car, but with some effort (and money) it can be raced. I would suggest comparing the cost of the E10 with upgrades to other entry level cars that already have parts that are adjustable.

Last edited by IndyRC_Racer; 07-08-2009 at 10:14 AM.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:19 AM
Tech Elite

If you want something cheap, and yet, reliable. Look into the TC4 or the TA05. Both are race worthy cars, for their price.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:09 PM
Tech Initiate

Default E10 Hop Up Options

As a comparison of the E10 and the TT01.

The e10 actually has a little more potential for race level upgrades than the TT01 however It is not known as to how many of those will actually get made.

The E10 lacks the inherent ability to have easy camber links added as well as some initial concerns with the Shocks being nonstandard and the overuse of plastic in some of the drive areas. also the steering links really should be changed to a turnbuckle set-up. That being said most of these things are correctable and have been in some cases such as the Aluminum Drive shaft, Universals and Motor mount that HPI has released.

We are actually developing a Graphite Chassis Kit for this car which will include new Shock towers that will allow the use of normal style shocks with adjustability on the E10 along with the ability to use Lipo Packs. (don't know the price yet as it is in early development)

The only issues that I see with the E10 after these adjustments would be the Plastic Pinion gears in the gear cases and then the camber issues. However the camber issues can be fixed with a little modification and good machining in that you can cut a 10mm section out of the upper arms and then install a turnbuckle allowing for Adjustability.

The Car already has a limited amount of caster adjustment in it through the use of shims..

Given the cost differential in a TT01 (around $150.00) and an E10 (around $90.00) they would probably even out after a few good hop-ups many of which are common to both cars Ie turnbuckles and better shocks.

Anyway those are my thoughts on the cars after examining both for upgrade potential. we chose to work with the E10 and skipped the TT-01, however even more upscale we are looking at the TB03 and have the TA05.

Brion Sohn
President
Penguin r/c
Old 07-08-2009, 04:19 PM
Tech Elite

hmm, a carbon E10...

FYI penguin, revo diff pinion gears mesh with E10 diffs, they just need a different sized bearing.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:37 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by joe of loath
hmm, a carbon E10...

FYI penguin, revo diff pinion gears mesh with E10 diffs, they just need a different sized bearing.
Good to know, apart from that I cant really see too much that would keep the car from being a track machine.. Granted it does have to be upgraded to get there but starting at $80.00 it is definitely a good car that can at minimum go from beginner to race car. Not sure if it would get to the level of full fledged race as there are some issues with the level of plastics used n the arms but it could get pretty good.

I will have to keep the revo pinions in mind and see what can be done on our test car.

Brion Sohn
President
Penguin r/c
Old 07-08-2009, 04:44 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Penguin r/c
Good to know, apart from that I cant really see too much that would keep the car from being a track machine.. Granted it does have to be upgraded to get there but starting at $80.00 it is definitely a good car that can at minimum go from beginner to race car. Not sure if it would get to the level of full fledged race as there are some issues with the level of plastics used n the arms but it could get pretty good.

I will have to keep the revo pinions in mind and see what can be done on our test car.

Brion Sohn
President
Penguin r/c
Careful with them stock arms, I popped the moulding apart on one. Caused me no end of problem. An upgraded spur gear might be nice too The stock one is made of cheese, I'd love a nice fastrax one in there instead.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:45 PM
Tech Addict

Given the cost differential in a TT01 (around $150.00) and an E10 (around $90.00) they would probably even out after a few good hop-ups many of which are common to both cars Ie turnbuckles and better shocks.
wow.

After reading that I wouldn't touch the HPI with a 60 foot barge pole, The TT01 sounds like a bargain in comparison, even at a higher price point.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

This is my TT-01
Old 07-08-2009, 05:06 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Metla
wow.

After reading that I wouldn't touch the HPI with a 60 foot barge pole, The TT01 sounds like a bargain in comparison, even at a higher price point.
I think that you may have misunderstood that statement. Both cars need to be upgraded to be good cars that would work more than as a basher and common upgrades that the cars share would be turnbuckles and shocks. The TT01 doesn't come with turnbuckles or the greatest of shocks but they are marginally better than the E10's. So basically if you upgrade those parts it is a wash in the cost and it would take that $60.00 difference in the price to make them comparable.. though you do have to watch Tamiya as the TT01 can range in price considerably just because of the body included with the car.

Originally Posted by joe of loath
Careful with them stock arms, I popped the moulding apart on one. Caused me no end of problem. An upgraded spur gear might be nice too The stock one is made of cheese, I'd love a nice fastrax one in there instead.
Yea I can see that with the arms as they are pivot ball arms similar to a gas car, however, the plastics are not as durable as a full fledged gas car. I am hoping that someone does come out with a center spur adaptor for the E10. That is not currently in our budget or resources to create that part for the car.

Brion Sohn
President
Penguin r/c
Old 07-08-2009, 06:09 PM
Tech Addict

I think that you may have misunderstood that statement. Both cars need to be upgraded to be good cars that would work more than as a basher and common upgrades that the cars share would be turnbuckles and shocks.
No, I understood, Just don't agree with your conclusion, I have owned a TT01 and I certainly wouldn't want anything worse no matter how cheap. A quick look at tower show TT01's from $110.

And the way HPI have incorporated the shocks is just plain nasty.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by von
hey guys what do you think about the hpi E10 Touring?

i bought the hpi e10 gt40 without thinking and dint think i would get serious with it but i did and i tell you i have spent about $300.00 dollars in upgrades and i got the car for $200. and i tell you i have everything on it but the new aluminum motor mount. the car is now about 10 times as better in overall performance as before when i got it out the box and i have been in the track several times and at the end the e10 is still an entry level car and for the time and money that i have spent i could have had a pro version xray or hb cyclone tc or a tamiya trf. the e10 however is perfect parking lot basher or infront of your house street or whatever and occationally in the track for fun. but if you want to compete seriously it is not the car to get. the car is just not very durable and has problems going straight to be precise. because there is alot of play in the suspension . control arms, steering linkage and stuff. and suspension adjustment is almost limited to none.

BUT STILL I LOVE MY E10 NO MATTER WHAT.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.