Wiki Posts
Search

Need ESC Suggestions for GTA class

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 06:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Default Need ESC Suggestions for GTA class

I have posted a similar question in the Off-Road forum as the application and class may impact the end result.

I need suggestions on ESC. I plan to run my RS4 Pro in a Vintage Trans Am (VTA)class. According to class rules if runnning Lipo I have to run a 21.5 brushless. I don't plan to run this car in any other classes. Also I do not plan on moving the esc to a different vehicle later. So I am looking for suggestions of ESCs that will be best suited for this application. Thanx in advance!!

Last edited by active_sport; 07-01-2009 at 02:40 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-30-2009, 07:15 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

there are a few brands out there that i would look in to. but if your not planning on moving the ecu out of that car. i would get a brushless/ brushed ecu that can handle up to a 10t brushless or something close to that. it will give me more play when it comes to motors as well as class changing if you ever do.

if this car is only going to run that one class until you sell it or give it away i would say look into the ez-run esc motor combos i have the 5.5t 60A esc and i run a 7.8 10000mah 20c lipo in it and i run it. 30 battery charges later have not seen a drop off in power, and its in a off road car.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:33 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Tekin RS (not RSPro) Or Teamwave RB30. To take full advantage of these Esc's, you will need their programing Hardware. Tekin will be shortly releasing their latest update, that will allow a Timing Boost to their esc, but requires the Tekin Hotwire to implement it. Check out the Tekin Forum.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by active_sport
I have posted a similar question in the Off-Road forum as the application and class may impact the end result.

I need suggestions on ESC. I plan to run my RS4 Pro in a Vintage GTA class. According to class rules if runnning Lipo I have to run a 21.5 brushless. I don't plan to run this car in any other classes. Also I do not plan on moving the esc to a different vehicle later. So I am looking for suggestions of ESCs that will be best suited for this application. Thanx in advance!!
Where are the rules? I thought you misworded it at first. Is this just a local club thing you guys are doing?
Old 06-30-2009, 09:00 PM
Tech Champion

for VTA any esc will work just fine...it all up to your pockets..I recomend the Havok cause its Novak and low cost..$150 for system
Old 06-30-2009, 09:15 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
Where are the rules? I thought you misworded it at first. Is this just a local club thing you guys are doing?
Typo, VTA Class. Just had back surger. I am on a Morphine patch, Muscle relaxer and Vicodin so I am surprised that is the only typo......

I made the chage up top.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:18 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

hey active - MSI is very competitive in VTA - the top three guys are all running timing-advancing speed controls - either the Tekin RS (may be pro?) or the LRP SPX. If you just want to have fun and drive at a reasonable clip then the Havoc combo isn't a bad choice to save some $$$ since you won't be using it in anything else in the future.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:20 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Thirtybird
hey active - MSI is very competitive in VTA - the top three guys are all running timing-advancing speed controls - either the Tekin RS (may be pro?) or the LRP SPX. If you just want to have fun and drive at a reasonable clip then the Havoc combo isn't a bad choice to save some $$$ since you won't be using it in anything else in the future.
Timing advace it is.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:29 AM
Tech Champion

Typo, VTA Class. Just had back surger. I am on a Morphine patch, Muscle relaxer and Vicodin so I am surprised that is the only typo......

I made the chage up top.
OK guy. Sorry about the surgery. As a chiropractor, I try to help people avoid that, but sometimes theres too much damage to heal with mobilization.

About the typo- Yeah I thought you had a new class or a hybrid set of rules, like the guys in Florida that are running RCGT bodies and tires with VTA powerplants.

The other thing I thought was,"You are racing Grand Theft Auto?"
Old 07-03-2009, 07:58 PM
Tech Regular

OK guy. Sorry about the surgery. As a chiropractor, I try to help people avoid that, but sometimes theres too much damage to heal with mobilization.

About the typo- Yeah I thought you had a new class or a hybrid set of rules, like the guys in Florida that are running RCGT bodies and tires with VTA powerplants.

The other thing I thought was,"You are racing Grand Theft Auto?"
L5-S1 was bone on bone and what was left of the disc was pinching nerves, badly enough that, on occasion, my right foot would go numb and I would fall down..... So fusion it was. I am already pleased, I now sleep through the night, no pains in my legs. This is only 3 weeks after surgery!!!

Yes occasional I do race Grand Theft Auto class but usually end up killing someone or in jail
Old 07-03-2009, 08:10 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i hear you on that one, had to have my shoulder done 3 months ago and im still not sleeping wroth any thing and they made it work the back part of my shoulder is num now the pain has lesson but being a welder i cant have numness. if i lay down and get a spark under that shoulder i will have a hole there.

i really need to read up on some of the classies we have stock super stock and custom, and open. i run open but there is like 5 of us in open, but stock and super stock its all kids and they cant drive worth anything and i dont wont to fill bad when i wipe the floor, then they would out to get me and that money i dont have.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:30 PM
Tech Champion

L5-S1 was bone on bone and what was left of the disc was pinching nerves, badly enough that, on occasion, my right foot would go numb and I would fall down..... So fusion it was. I am already pleased, I now sleep through the night, no pains in my legs. This is only 3 weeks after surgery!!!

Yes occasional I do race Grand Theft Auto class but usually end up killing someone or in jail
When its that bad surgery probably is the best way to go. Although I do have patients that have numbness in the foot that I take care of without the need for that. It just depends on how bad the herniation is and in what direction. Im glad that you are getting relief.

GTA- me too. I have been playing the Midnight Club LA racing game that is made by Rockstar.

So which ESC is it going to be? Tekin? Speed Passion? LRP?
Old 07-03-2009, 09:47 PM
Tech Regular

When its that bad surgery probably is the best way to go. Although I do have patients that have numbness in the foot that I take care of without the need for that. It just depends on how bad the herniation is and in what direction. Im glad that you are getting relief.

GTA- me too. I have been playing the Midnight Club LA racing game that is made by Rockstar.

So which ESC is it going to be? Tekin? Speed Passion? LRP?
I had gone through well over 6 months of therapy along with spinal decompression, you know the table that stretchs you out... Both just made things worse. I had been dealing with occasional pain and spasims for about 15 years. The past 6 I have been sleeping on a heating pad nightly. Then in December, I lifted up the tounge of my empty motorcycle trailer, and that was the final draw. Pushed what was left of the disc out, and it became bone on bone. Recover is tough, but the pain medicine makes it easier. The hardest part is staying in bed and not doing much. Plus I have to stay in a back brace for the next 2-3 months. I own an offshore boat, and up till 2 weeks ago had a custom chopper (sold it because I can't use it for at least a year). So I am a very active guy. What really hurts is the boat is only a block away at the marina and I can't use it

Still undecided. I have quite a while before I will be racing, probably fall. I am leaning toward the Tekin RS. I will be racing at the same track as Thirtybird, he stated the top runners are using an ESC w/timing advance, so that is a must. I will keep reading up. I have not see a lot of Tekin RS's up for sale USED here or on eBay, so that is a good sign. I did pick up a NIB Novak GTB for $110 from the F/S area. I will use that in my stadium truck, which is just begining construction.........

Being stuck at home and getting the RC bug again, is going to cost me a lot of money. Good thing my sales are strong during the summer season, see my signature.

Last edited by active_sport; 07-03-2009 at 09:59 PM.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:38 PM
Tech Champion

What really hurts is the boat is only a block away at the marina and I can't use it
I feel your pain. Well since its in a marina, at least you dont have to trailer it. I guess as soon as you heal up you can get back out there. Sorry about the bike too. I think I would have just stored it somewhere. Unless you think you want something new when you get back on it.

The GTB is old faithful but they say you can really tell the differrence with the timing advance.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:48 PM
Tech Regular

I feel your pain. Well since its in a marina, at least you dont have to trailer it. I guess as soon as you heal up you can get back out there. Sorry about the bike too. I think I would have just stored it somewhere. Unless you think you want something new when you get back on it.

The GTB is old faithful but they say you can really tell the differrence with the timing advance.
The boat is actually on a trailer. It is in a "store & Launch". It is a 25' Baja, Offshore style boat, so leaving it the water is a no-no, otherwise you have to put bottom paint on it....The bike, @ $350/month it kind of had to go. To pay that much plus insurance for almost 1 year without being able to ride it, just didn't make any sense. I had done about all I could to it, she was a completed project. Besides, new projet on the horizon... I have a Trailblazer, that I am going to stuff an LS1 (w/some addition HP), from a newer GTO, into. Noththing like having a 450+ HP, fire breathing, SUV

Back on the subjet:
I bought an LRP SPX (new in the sale forum) for the TC. I will see how things go with the GTB in the stadium truck. If worse comes to worse I'll have to upgrade to another lrp or go w/tekin. I also just bought a Slash to run in a Spec class. This hobby is going to cost me an arm & a leg. Very addicting. I now remember why I got out of it 10 years ago

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.