Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ's for VTA

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 07:00 AM
Tech Regular

Is there any particular reason that 27T brushed cannot run ball bearings? Both 17.5 and 21.5 brushless have ball bearings. I know of at least 1- 27T brushed that comes with ball bearings and they are very easy to install in the others that don't have them. IMHO,in the interest of fairness and motor longevity, 27T brushed should be allowed to use ball bearings. Don
Old 09-12-2009, 07:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The two most frequently asked questions that I see in the general VTA thread are:
1: When are other 21.5 options going to be allowed?
A: The only other option allowed is the Ballistic Novak motor with the 21.5 wind in it. That configuration offers the same perfomance parameters as the original Novak 21.5 Brushless motor.

2: When is the Vette going to be made legal?
A: The shell is not going to be adopted into the official list of legal shells. So you wont be able to race it at sanctioned USVTA events like the Nationals. However many clubs consider the shell to be acceptable for their weekly racing. If you want to run the Corvette, then its best to always check with the race administrator where you plan to run. It would also be a good idea to have another shell ready that you know is legal by the official rules.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:56 AM
Tech Rookie

I am glad I found this thread, I am fairly new to RC cars, I have a T2 006 that I am setting up for VTA I am currently out of a job and cant afford a brushless setup will the 27 turn brushed hold its own on only 4 cells? I was running 6 cells in it as a touring car.

Thanks

Tony V
Old 09-12-2009, 10:03 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tonyv65
I am glad I found this thread, I am fairly new to RC cars, I have a T2 006 that I am setting up for VTA I am currently out of a job and cant afford a brushless setup will the 27 turn brushed hold its own on only 4 cells? I was running 6 cells in it as a touring car.

Thanks

Tony V
I don't think the 4 cell 27T Brushed is a winning set up but we do have atleast one guy at our trach running 4 cell 27T and he came in 3rd in points last season so alot of it is in your driving and a good set up chassie and good electronics. The way you wan't to go is verry cheap compaired to Bl and Lipo but if you can aford it atleast get the 17.5 BL motor (Legal with the 4 cell). Make sure your Com's and brushes are good and good cells will help alot.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:20 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Guys, I have a few questions:

1. Do I need to take the coating off the non-chrome wheels as well?
2. I've heard that the Vintage tires are non-belted and there's way to 'belt' them using a duct tape or a battery tape; how?
3. Is it necessary to glue the insert to the insde of the tire?

Thanks!
Old 09-12-2009, 10:31 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PrimeAKF11

2. I've heard that the Vintage tires are non-belted and there's way to 'belt' them using a duct tape or a battery tape; how?

Thanks!
1. No but I would still Scuff then lightly with fine sand paper and wipe clean with motor spray
2. No they are not belted I never heard of anyone Belting them don't see a reason either.
3. No they fit into the tire tight but just for alittle insurance you can add a drop or 2 if you wanmt but not needed
Old 09-12-2009, 11:29 AM
Tech Regular

Hmmm, no takers on my question?
Old 09-12-2009, 01:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DLS II
Hmmm, no takers on my question?
I have wondered that before but its typical just to accept the stock motors as they are. I have wondered for years why stock motors didnt have bearings in them. Especially the rebuildable stock motors.

I wonder also if a 19turn might have better parity with the 21.5 than the 27t.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:13 PM
Tech Regular

At the rate 21.5 motors & timing adjustable SCs are going-17.5 & 27T brushed may be too far behind the curve. Don
Old 09-12-2009, 03:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PrimeAKF11
Thanks!
It's illegal to modify the structure of the tire, which means the insert must be run as intended (ie: not glued or otherwise retained). On a side note, when these non-belted treaded vintage tires break-in, they provide a phenominal amount of grip. They're a bit wishy washy, but the grip is stout.

Originally Posted by DLS II
At the rate 21.5 motors & timing adjustable SCs are going-17.5 & 27T brushed may be too far behind the curve. Don
I agree, but I believe 27T/17.5 have been behind since the very start. Lately though, the KERS equipped ESCs are just silly. Once the majority of speedos have that feature, this won't be a big deal. Until then, I suggest race directors shorten the straightaways IF this becomes a problem for their group of racers. On the topic of bearings, yes it would extend the life of the 27T motors, but the bigger issue is.....where will 27T racers get NiMH batteries from in the coming months and years? Most of the well known matchers are reducing their processing of them due to lack of sales.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:45 PM
Tech Regular

If the lack of NiMh cells really becomes an issue-perhaps we ought to consider 13.5 brushless,19T brushed and 1S lipo! Don
Old 09-12-2009, 05:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Our local club will be running 17.5 4-cell and 13.5 3.7v lipo together this year. We don't run the 21.5 option at our club.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:55 PM
Tech Rookie

can anyone help me with an initial setup for a xray t2 I am new to this and need a good starting point, I will be running the novak 21.5 brushless and the HPI 70 cuda body

thanks

Tony V