Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Why is traxxas so much better than OFNA? >

Why is traxxas so much better than OFNA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why is traxxas so much better than OFNA?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 07:36 PM
Tech Adept

Angry Why is traxxas so much better than OFNA?

I finally bought my first OFNA car, the Hyper 8. After breaking it in, I drive out to a local field with my friend (who owns a Jato 3.3). We haven't been able to drive together for years, because every time we'd go out to the field my T Maxx would break. After deciding enough is enough, I buy what I thought was a quality car, the OFNA Hyper 8. Apparently not.

We arrive at the field, and I get a good 5 minutes of driving time before I notice that the cord for the pull start has torn apart, leaving the handle on the grown and the string far inside the pull start casing. Again, I don't get a day's worth of driving because my car breaks. Words cannot describe my frustration. The last time I drove with my friend without my car falling apart within the first ten minutes was about a year ago. His car, on the other hand, has had absolutely no problems to date. Hes smashed it, crashed it, and bashed it, and he has yet to buy a single part for it. So I ask this. Why is this traxxas car so much better than the OFNA? The Traxxas car has lasted over two years with almost zero issue, but the OFNA can't last for over a few minutes? Why is this?

And to top it all off, the car itself is designed very poorly. I literally spent over 45 minutes trying to screw the engine in. It turns out the OFNA engine mount is designed extremely poorly, much more poorly than my old T Maxx or my friend's Jato. I almost regret spending $365 on a frail and poorly designed OFNA when I could've easily purchased the indestructible Traxxas Jato. The people at OFNA could really learn something from the people at Traxxas.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

periodical maintnance of a buggy would answere poor performance. every single time i run my car i clean,replace,repair all parts that are questionable. all my buggys are clean as new everytime i go out to run them. replace bearings, oils, and grease are very important aspects to be added to a cars performance and durability
Old 06-29-2009, 07:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

In all fairness, the Hyper 8 or any buggy in general wouldn't make a great basher. With that being said, I'd have gone for a truggy but that's just me.

Traxxas have a time and a place, but I had super bad luck with mine. The hyper 8 will be much better, much more durable and a better overall vehicle. Just put a new pullstarter on it, find out why it died and move on.

45 minutes to screw in 8 screws? That sounds like inexperience to me. Find out what was wrong, why screws were going in crooked or whatever was causing your issue.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:53 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by 8&stuff
periodical maintnance of a buggy would answere poor performance. every single time i run my car i clean,replace,repair all parts that are questionable. all my buggys are clean as new everytime i go out to run them. replace bearings, oils, and grease are very important aspects to be added to a cars performance and durability
My jato friend does none of the above, and his car runs fine. I take very good care of my cares, and mine are far from fine.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

it is true that a clean and maintained car is a happy car
if it don't run it's not fast
Old 06-29-2009, 07:55 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by aradaiel
In all fairness, the Hyper 8 or any buggy in general wouldn't make a great basher. With that being said, I'd have gone for a truggy but that's just me.

Traxxas have a time and a place, but I had super bad luck with mine. The hyper 8 will be much better, much more durable and a better overall vehicle. Just put a new pullstarter on it, find out why it died and move on.

45 minutes to screw in 8 screws? That sounds like inexperience to me. Find out what was wrong, why screws were going in crooked or whatever was causing your issue.
Four screws. Theres a very specific way in which these four nuts fit into small passageways in the engine mount. You then must sandwich these nuts in a metal plate, which usually pushes them out and causes you to start over again. The traxxas engine mount doesn't have any of this rubbish, its just four holes and four screws. Fairly simple.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sokar
Four screws. Theres a very specific way in which these four nuts fit into small passageways in the engine mount. You then must sandwich these nuts in a metal plate, which usually pushes them out and causes you to start over again. The traxxas engine mount doesn't have any of this rubbish, its just four holes and four screws. Fairly simple.
It's called an adjustable engine mount, and I agree not the best design, but I still come back to inexperience. I agree with aradaiel. Experience will come with just that, experience. Now that you have done it once, i'm sure it will be easier from now on. Really, Traxxas cars are good first cars, and even decent bashers, but not anywhere near the best. If you want something 1/8 that will take a beating/bashing go with a truggy. Buggies are really meant for the track(so are truggies but they can handle bashing). IMO ofna cars are far superior to traxxas cars. So to answer your origional question, they aren't.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:13 PM
Tech Adept

Anyone know where I can go about finding a Macstar .28 pull start? Should I just tell my LHS to order one for me?
Old 06-29-2009, 08:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I would hardly say that a failed pull start is the cars fault. RTR'S and pull starts are junk to begin with. The car is a pretty good deal for the price ou paid. In the right hands and with the proper help, it should beat the jato on an offroad track anyday!
Old 06-29-2009, 09:00 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Just buy a Bump Box off of e--bay i got one last week for 30.00 buck shipped and it all most looked new.I wired it so i can use the battery on my truck as the bump box battery.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Some of us told you to get the Thunder Tiger ST-1 or Caster buggy for $275, but you went ahead and bought the ofna Hyper 8. I would invest in a starter box also Pull starts are a PITA.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:42 PM
Tech Master

Didnt you start off your first post with every time I take my tmaxx to the field it breaks? You do know the tmaxx is a traxxas right?

A buggy is not a basher to begin with

Adjustable engine mounts used to be the norm & most of the old timers here have expeience with one of the OFNA brand adjustable mounts.Their not that difficult to use.Try taking the mounts off the chassis before you put them on the motor & assemble every thing loosely,then adjust gear mesh then tighten.I dont run ofna any more but I do remember they take good care of their customers.Why dont you call call their customer care & talk to them before you go on line & talk bad about them? (949)586-2910.

Just so you know your problem is why nobody uses pull starts,their nothing but trouble & that includes the traxxas auto starts.Dont take my word for it do a search on this or any other forum & see how many pull start & roto starts problems you come up with from every MFG.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:55 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Dude. Lightly thread the nuts onto the ends of the screws, then slip the nuts attached to the screws into the engine mount. While everything is still lose line it all up good and get it centered on the bell, then tighten down the screws, once you get more time into it, it will be a 10 minute job
Old 06-30-2009, 07:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sokar
Anyone know where I can go about finding a Macstar .28 pull start? Should I just tell my LHS to order one for me?
Here's an idea. Go find where they fly the model plains and talk to them about a hand held start rig. For bashing I've know a few guys that got'em for FIVE bucks. Then go to a building mant. guy(school, work, hotel,ect.)And talk him out of a emg. back up lite.( for the batt.& chager) Less than Ten bucks and works! Oh and make sure you spin it the right way. but true.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:28 PM
Tech Master

The biggest killer of a pull start is pulling it out to far...just use short sharp pulls and you will find you wont break it near as often...but a cheap starter box is the ticket
I like my traxxas vehicles to..had Revo, erevo and now have a summit but Ofna make some great ones to and have had a Hyper 8,8.5 and it was very strong...pullstarts are just a pain regardless of manufacturer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.