Wiki Posts
Search

Here's a hint

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 02:59 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bmxRRT
Losi 14.8v 2200mah lipo....I started charging it at 2.2amps like normal and it wouldn't accept past 0.25amps. I restarted the charge and 20min later it was at 14v and 2.2amps, so I thought sweet- maybe I overdischarged it or something.

I fall asleep in my bed which is next to my work table, and I hear POP, POP, I jump up and think to myself OH SHITT BITCH. I unplug my charger from the wall and think to myself for a second. I grab the box by the handle and run downstairs(3 flights) to my outside cement patio, meanwhile as I'm running down the stairs its popping and smoking.

I lay the box upside down on the cement, go back upstairs, sleep for a few hours, I come back down to check on it- and my box is black and so is the cement.

Thank god for the metal box!

Oh and the wires are melted all the way back to the motor, can't salvage it.
That is why you charge these batteries in fire-safe bags or other fire-safe environments. I use the same losi battery and I never leave it plugged in the box except on race day or if I am using it. I never store it plugged it. I always remove the battery from the starter box and charge it separately. These batteries are dangerous and need special attention. You not only lost a 90 buck battery you also junked a 90 buck starter box. That sucks. These batteries are sensitive and need to be treated accordingly. Its not like the old nicad days when you could charge and run until the battery was so hot you could not touch it. Not the case with lipos. It you run them in your vehicle there better be a voltage safety installed. I have seen videos and pictures of your 2k race machine melted to the ground because of a lipo incident. Bottom line is lipos are dangerous.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

the first time i bumped my lipo wires together i thought o well...then it swelled. the second one i jumped in the air while watching blue sparks fizzlenow every lipo i look at i know whether or not the owners had the blue spark sweats. now years down the road and careful soldiering it aint happening again........
Old 06-29-2009, 03:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Lipo's are only dangerous when you don't know what your doing. sounds and loks like you overcharged it. lipos charge cc/cv. when the lipo gets full the amps go down. if u put a fully charged lipo on a lipo charger the amps will start falling. Usually the charger will shut off but looks lie you kept trying to charge it.

I haven't had issue with a lipo and i have had about ten of them, I also use them all the time at the track in my 1/10th buggies.

Lipo's are the best thing to happen to rc and cell phones.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Frank L
That is why you charge these batteries in fire-safe bags or other fire-safe environments. I use the same losi battery and I never leave it plugged in the box except on race day or if I am using it. I never store it plugged it. I always remove the battery from the starter box and charge it separately. These batteries are dangerous and need special attention. You not only lost a 90 buck battery you also junked a 90 buck starter box. That sucks. These batteries are sensitive and need to be treated accordingly. Its not like the old nicad days when you could charge and run until the battery was so hot you could not touch it. Not the case with lipos. It you run them in your vehicle there better be a voltage safety installed. I have seen videos and pictures of your 2k race machine melted to the ground because of a lipo incident. Bottom line is lipos are dangerous.

Car batteries are dangerous when shorted or overcharged too.

Lipo danger is way way overplayed.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:57 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bradfox2

Old 06-29-2009, 04:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bradfox2

I saw a car battery explode in a ford f-250. It jumped 3 feet in the air (braking the tie-downs, don't know how high it would have gone without them) and exploded and threw acid everywhere. that's definitely more dangerous than a little fire.