Community
Wiki Posts
Search

KO PROPO EX-10 Helios q's

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 01:06 PM
Tech Addict

Hey everyone,

For the time being I've been forced to put down my Helios due to problems. I've thought they were spektrum related, but then again I didn't think of asking anyone here. The problem is I don't have an old crystal module other than the Mini Z module that came with my radio since I was planning on running the spektrum system from day one of purchasing the Helios. Needless to say, I've sent off my spektrum for repairs, but I thought I'd pose my problem here to see if anyone else has had similar issues.

The first two months of having my Helios/spektrum, everything was fine. lately, I've started to notice this slight glitch while running. Usually, only in certain places on the track and only when I'm a good 50 ft. or more away from the vehicle (btw, this happens to all vehicles of mine). While turning my wheels sometimes I sort of 'lose' signal and the wheels will stay put for roughly 2-4 seconds, then I will regain control of the car. It isn't going into failsafe mode because my wheels should go straight if that were the case. The wheels stay turned, then all of a sudden I regain control. Since all of my cars, nitro or electric, do it, I would have to assume it is the spektrum or possibly the transmitter. I may have to go out and buy a module, receiver, and crystal set to see if I still get the problem, but I'd like to know if anyone else has had this problem so I can save a few bucks. I put my old crystal radio system into my cars and the problem went away, but that doesn't tell me if I have a transmitter problem. Did any of the spektrums released for the Helios need upgrading like the M8s? Hopefully Horizon sends back mine here shortly so I can keep working away at this problem....
Old 08-24-2005, 01:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i had that same problem with the spektrum... then i tried putting the little switch in the modulespot to the down position, then it worked flawlessly...
Old 08-24-2005, 01:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Laterilus,

For starters-one thing to check-try walking 50% over to that part of the track where this is happening and drive past there . Then move all the way over there-right at your feet. Then move somewhere else besides the drivers stand. See if it still happens. This is just one of many things to try. But it eliminates some possible problems.

Ray
Old 08-24-2005, 01:25 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by KO PROPO Staff
Replacement antennas are available so that you can do it yourself.

where can i get it???
Old 08-24-2005, 01:31 PM
Tech Addict

Ray and dado, thank you for the suggestions. I probably should have included a bit more info though in my explanation.

dado, I've been running the radio in the 'normal' position since the start. The radio was intended to be used with a mini Z so it could only be in normal mode and that is the way it came. Also the spektrum system suggested to only run it in normal mode. I tried high response mode as well just to see, and it reacts the same exact way in both modes.

Ray, good suggestion as well, but in a way, I've already done that. Since each track seems to have these little hot spots where the problem occurs, I tried to see if other areas, non-track related, would cause the same problem. This is the case. At my home I could put the car in various areas and the problem would occur frequently, or not-so frequently (or in a way that was only slightly noticable). However, the big kicker is distance. Regardless if the problem occured frequently or not, it would not occur if I was close to the car... roughly 40-45 away or closer. Since some spots are worse than others and I only run off-road racing right now, I'm assuming this is why I haven't noticed at all parts of the track. Like I said, it will happen just about everywhere, but much less noticable in most areas. Only certain spots is it really bad. In the not-so bad spots my loss of control is only a small fraction of a second, so it won't affect me nearly as much.

Either way, I always appreciate the help. keep the comments/ideas/help comin'!
Old 08-24-2005, 07:09 PM
Tech Master

well its too late now, but a capacitor should fix it... it takes more juice than a normal reciever.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Check so that the "module pins" in the radio sits secure, the solderings for these pins on my EX10 became loose and severe glitching started, i just screwed the radio apart and resoldered the pins.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:44 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ntc3freak
where can i get it???
http://www.shopatron.com/index/166.0.557.496.0.0.0
Old 08-25-2005, 12:30 PM
Tech Master

... not that this has anything to do with the helios, but i have an electronics question. i am using a d6 9x1 in my fk05 and i am having a slight problem. whenever i give it full throttle it takes a second or two to spool up to full speed(with the car off of the ground and a full battery). i am going to assume that it is a power issue and i am wondering if adding a capacitor into the battery wires will help me get the power i need. i am currently using a lrp v7.1, wish i had a vfs-1 . any ideas??

thanks a ton,
marshal v.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:16 PM
Tech Rookie

Default My Helios with AM module does not work with my Kyosho Mini-Z boat.

My Helios with AM module does not work with my Kyosho Mini-Z boat.

I have a new Helios, it works with standard module and Spektrum, no problem. I have the AM module for it and it work with other AM receivers. My Mini-Z boat is brand new and work with the original transmitter.

But Helios + AM Module + Mini-Z boat does not work.

I have tryed both KO and Kyosho crystals, and turning of the HRS.
The electronics in the boat is made by KO. This should work. What have I missed?

Any sugestions?
Old 08-25-2005, 03:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Check the frequency of the module and the receiver, both should be the same.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:37 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rayhuang

DONT forget to reset your speed controls after installing DSM though!!!
hi rayhuang...i am new to electrics and know nothing about esc's, i bought the car with the esc already installed

i have a novak sport xrs esc....

after i installed my spectrum, the neutral position of the throttle was now in 1/2 full throttle forwards, and i have to set trim and sub trim all the way to negative...

i was wondering if its related to me having to reset my esc?

thanks
Old 08-25-2005, 03:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Go to: www.teamnovak.com for the esc manual.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:06 PM
Tech Addict

Never-ending Radio Problems!!!!!

Anyone that has been following up on this thread has seen me post that I've had this wierd glitching problem with my Helios and spektrum combo. Well, today I received back my spektrum unit from Horizon. They say in the note that my unit is now 'updated' to the most current software. Since I didn't want any surprises at the track, I decided to be thorough and test my equipment prior to any racing even though in my mind the problem was gone. Well, I was wrong. The glitching problem persists and I'm about as mad as I've ever been at this damn hobby. As you racers know and understand, nothing is worse than not having complete control of your vehicle. I simply cannot race my cars in this state. Also, while my spektrum units were away, I took the liberty of purchasing a few of those ready made caps that spektrum sells (I believe they are 4700mf if I'm not mistaken). No help. None whatsoever. But then again, why would a gas vehicle with a receiver pack pumping out 6 volts constantly need one?

Since every vehicle of mine does the EXACT same thing (50 ft. or more away, wheels/throttle locks up randomly. I just lose signal, but it doesn't go into failsafe mode) and assuming (big assumption here) Horizon Hobby is competent and fixed my 'apparent' broken Spektrum unit...... The problem can ONLY be the transmitter. Something is wrong with the transmission to my vehicles. I thought the spektrum caused the problem, but I guess not. I'll give Horizon a call tomorrow to discuss what they did, but I'm outta ideas here.

Now for the perplexing issue at hand. I bought my Helios under the sole purpose of using the spektrum system. I have the "Mini Z" version which only comes with an orange AM module and no crystals or receivers. I'd like to save myself 130$ or so and not have to buy a module, receiver, and crystal set so that I can see if the transmitter causes this problem. What would be better is if I knew what AM receiver and crystal sets I need to get to use the Mini Z module. I figure that shouldn't cost but 50$ or less to get up and running. Then, if the same problem glitch persists, i know it is the transmitter for sure. Anyone that can give me help, please write in links to the shopatron place for AM crystals and receivers that will work with the Helios.

Lastly, KO PROPO staff, I understand that I'm not using all KO equipment here, but please tell me if this sounds like a transmitter problem. It would save me a lot of time and money if you could tell me that there is something wrong with my transmitter and that way I'll just send it in to you. I'm tired of having radio problems and I would prefer to continue using this radio, but not if it doesn't work.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:17 PM
Tech Master

what car are you using it in. i was having the same problem and ripping hair out untill i finally got it fixed yesterday night... i am using it in an xray fk05 and i dot it to work flawlessly, it simply doesnt like being in contact with the chassis in anyway, that also very importantly includes the antenna. so i tried mounting it on the servo and it was fine. i figired this out im my b4 too. i layered the 2 sided tape a bit and then i didnt use the antella hole, instead i wrapped the antenna around the tube, being very careful not to touch the chassis. just try mounting the reciver somewhere like that or try keeping it totally out of the car while running a test (off of the ground). but if you cant fix it i will trade you a 75mhz FM module and reciever for your spektrum ... i need another spektrum reciever pretty bad...

lmk how that goes...
marshal v.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.