Community
Wiki Posts
Search

understanding tire and wheel sizes..

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 08:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default understanding tire and wheel sizes..

i recently found my way offroad.

i used to be able to find 26MM wheels and tires fairly easy for my onroad nitro.. but off road has my head spining..

i bought one of these for backyard bashing, and chasing the neighbor hood cats..

the tires look bigger than normal buggie tires, but when looking on websites, i can't tell the difference. ive looked through the manual, which only gives a XTM part number, but not a actual SIZE.

i know there has to be aftermarket replacement wheels and tires, but im unsure of the size.

if i have to, i can measure the wheel and tire on the truck, but still doesn't tell me what kind of wheel, or tire to look for.

thanks for your time.
Attached Thumbnails understanding tire and wheel sizes..-picture-5.jpg  
Old 06-25-2009, 08:10 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

thats because its a truggy. the tires are taller and wider than a buggy
Old 06-25-2009, 09:52 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

heres some tires that should work http://www.amainhobbies.com/index.php/cPath/1_26_58
Old 06-25-2009, 11:34 PM
Tech Regular

ok.. you got me on the right path...

i guess after doing some looking around, my class of wheel/tire is a LPR.. i assume the monster truck's are VTR's.. (4" tire)

i have a 3.7" tire, and a 17MM hub.

i think LPR is the keyword. thanks for the link.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

There are a couple sizes. There is a "MTR" tire that's got a bigger sidewall and smaller rim. It's a factory size on t-maxxes, revos and jammin x1 CRTs. Not sure on other trucks. These are also refered as 3.2" wheels.

"LPR" is the standard truggy size tire/wheel. AKA, Panther, Jconcepts, and proline make wheels and tires for these. This is either a 32 series or 36 series, I can't remember off the top of my head.

There's a 40 series tire and wheel size that's huge.

My favorite tires and wheels for racing have been AKA, they've lasted the longest, have the most grip and gave me almost too much steering.

If you're bashing with it then I'd get a set of MTR "badlands" or "masher" truck tires with whatever rims you wish. They'll last the longest.

Keep in mind when buying rims that there are usually 14mm hexes (for t-maxx, savage and revo) and there are 17mm hexes for truggy. You'll probably need 17mm hexes for your truggy. You only run into this when buying MTR wheels, because all LPR wheels use 17mm hexes I know of.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Oh, another thing. VTR is a brand new size of truggy tire just released by Pro-line. I haven't used them yet. I don't really plan on it as I don't like pro-line all that much.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:04 AM
Tech Regular

thanks for the explanations..

the 40 series im sure would be REALLY tall, since when they reffer to regular cars.. a 40 series is really small, when full size, a 85 series.. (215/85/15) would be a really TALL tire...

but.. LPR im reading means, "low profile race" tire.. so the std. 36-38 series is normal... the 40 would be a bit taller.

and also, i know i have 17MM hex hubs, so these are the keywords im looking for.

thanks for your time, and i'll look into your suggestions. i really need a low cost, backyard basher, and the occasional short sprints on the asphalt.

the nearest course locally, is about 45 mins away.. so track time will most likley be limited.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:08 AM
Tech Elite

made the switch to VTR from AKA - VTR kick but greate tire