Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
8t 2.0 vs MBX6t >

8t 2.0 vs MBX6t

8t 2.0 vs MBX6t

Old 06-25-2009, 04:29 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by bushyar15
Its really hard to taken someone serious thats only owned one of the two vehicles or makes no objective statements about either one or both...

You can't make a "comparison" based on only one of the two.

Secondly, driving your buddies or even the local sponsored guy's "X" isn't the same as owning it and "tuning" it to YOUR driving style.....
Just drive one dude.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pete 26
You guys are nuts. Mugen turns better, accelerates harder , is lighter and jumps better.Way better than tha Losi.Quality like a Swiss watch. Mugen makes race cars not RTR's.
LOL, its obvious you haven't driven a 2.0.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:52 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

You guys are nuts. Mugen turns better, accelerates harder , is lighter and jumps better.Way better than tha Losi.Quality like a Swiss watch. Mugen makes race cars not RTR's.
Hey that almost rhymes, like a Dr. Sues book haha
Mugen does make race cars and so does losi. The mugen is a copy of the losi in many aspects. I am surprised no one is raising copyright issues. I would if I was losi.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:12 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)

hell no i still have the 6t i dumped the losi. i can make informed descisons. ive owned everything but a caster and a cen.

pete is right quality like a swiss watch, but no where near the turn of losi.
if u like quality and speed by mugen. if u like speed and wrenching on pinion gears and your ok with slop buy a losi

both are great
Old 06-25-2009, 05:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Frank L
Hey that almost rhymes, like a Dr. Sues book haha
Mugen does make race cars and so does losi. The mugen is a copy of the losi in many aspects. I am surprised no one is raising copyright issues. I would if I was losi.
How did mugen copy losi????? I have owned losi and mugen the quality of mugen is a lot better than losi. Different trucks fit different people buy the cheapest one and try it if it doesn't fit you're driving style sell it and try the other one.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I'm not sure how you guys judge quality. In the Speed Shop we build a lot of kits, rollers, etc. I get to see more than I want to lately of kits..lol.

To me quality is rated in how complete a kit is out of the box, how it builds/parts fit, how it holds up with time, etc.

Losi in my opinion is high quality. You have to do nothing to make parts fit, everything needed is included, no parts missing, etc.

Regardless of what I read of "slop" years of racing have taught me this "play" is much needed in a offroad vehicle. I have cars right now that are "pre ran" with slop and these are my best cars. One is headed for a $250 to win cash race this weekend, one is going to a $1000 to win race on July 11th, and finally on to the roar nationals. I could without a doubt have a brand new car with no play. But I know these are much better than a car without the slop so to say.

So how can these cars be so good for me, compete at a high level, yet some of you talk about poor quality because of this "slop"? I even see people who for some reason get rid of them because of it.

Every losi, mugen, etc that comes through my shop gets the arms drilled out because in most cases they are to tight. If left as is with no play then you get a bound up car once dirt gets to it.

I am sure losi could have came up with a much harder arm. I am sure it;s possible that this arm would be more resistent to "play", but also remember it will break easier.

I personally think losi has done a great job at giving the racer plastics that hold up well, yet can take a good hit.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I may be nuts Pete but please tell me how much the mugen weighs versus the losi set up the same way. I have two rollers in my shop right now I am interested to compare this to.

How did you establish that it accelerates harder(mugen)? I know of a magazine that has a performance reveiw coming out of the top end trucks and I'm gonna say that losi reached all areas faster. This was two box stock trucks, same engines, same tires, pipe, servos, etc. I'm not sure what truck was the fastest overall of all the manf.

The guy is asking for advice, not people who toss stuff for the heck of it. If you have facts then by all means.

But we all know...these threads always end up this way.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

I purchased a mugen, and I tink overall it's a good truck. It still has a problem with the leaking diffs. After about half gallon most of my oil was gone in the diffs. I also had something happen that ws weird. Take(with your wheels off) and put your thumb ob top of the pillow ball hub(front), if you twist this you will see the uper arm will fold under the bottom arm. I had this happen whil racing. I took a hard hit while landing on one wheel and it folded it. SO after inspection thats how I found it by twisitng the arms. Mine got a little worse once it started wearing.

I will say I have not seen anyone mention this but with some research I found that the old trucks did this.

I have broken two arms, and I feel like for the average sportsman racer like myself they are brittle or hard.

I also have a 2.0T, it had a few things new out of the box like some screws to short in the wing stay, and maybe a few loose screws if any. the only thing I was told I shoulf get was a aluminum upper servo save arm.

I shop alot with carolinas, they have the mugen and losi in stock right now. I think "all" things considered and that meaning performance, customer service, team support, etc... you will be a bit happier wit the losi.

I had diff issues with both truck. Mainy due because I did not shim properly. fro mwhat I understand you have to set truggy gearing correctly.

Good luck!
Old 06-25-2009, 06:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

IMO they are both good trucks, however I still feel the losi is more nimble. Having seen the mugen run recently it seemed pretty sluggish compared to the losi. It also seemed like you really had to push it to be fast. The losi is the hardest accellerating truggy I have ever driven. It also cuts under most trucks in the turns. From what I have driven the losi is at the top in all areas. With that being said I have never driven the mugen.

I agree with ABURTON about this so called "slop". Every car needs some play to handle consistently. A free suspension is very important. Also aside from the fact that you don't like the play, has it ever hurt the handling of the car? I highly doubt it. Infact I know it doesn't. You can either have hard plastcs that don't get sloppy and have them break all of the time, or you can have slightly softer plastics that get slightly sloppy, but will NEVER break. Making it through the race with a broken part is very difficult. Making it through a race with some sloppy parts isn't. The choice is clear to me. So if you like to have a car that feels nice in your hands, go for the mugen. If you want a car that will be slightly loose, but make it through a serious beating and come out on top, go losi.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:21 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I have had both and currently have the mugen. I liked the losi but for numorous reasons I wont go into I sold it and got the mugen and couldn't be happier. I will say that the mugen is very finiky to setup change. One small change makes a big difference. But once i figured that out all was good. I really like the mugen as far as fit and finish better. I have always heard that the "slop" only made it faster but there was just something in my head that made me sick in the pit of my stomach when i seen it. I owned 2 of the original 8t's and ran them both for 5+ gallons each. I thought i could take the slop on the new truck plus at the time it was flavor of the month so i bought it. It didn't work and the mugen was coming soon so I sold it off. On the track I think the losi may have the advantage as far as acceleration but consistentcy is where the mugen REALLY stands out. I really feel confident that i can run very close laps with the mugen and my laps times prove it. Does this mean the mugen will be better for you? Absolutely not. It all comes down to driver preference and in my experience with both trucks the mugen just works for me! Hope that helps some.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

You also obviously post without reading the thread....

I have driven one and OWN one as well as a Losi 2.0.... Obviously you don't....

So, your comment has no merit...

Just drive one dude.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Both are great trucks and both have their pros and cons. I think it boils down to your driving style. The MBX6-T Is a very stable easy to drive truggy. If you are normally a smooth driver that likes your vehicle to have a more nuetral feel then the Mugen is what I would recommend. On the flip side, if you like an aggressive car with tons of steering, I would pick the losi. For me, I like an aggressive truggy (and buggy) and to get the agressiveness out of the mugen it became unstable and inconsisent. Whie I could turn a faster lap with the Mugen, I could run a faster race with the losi.

For pro's and cons, they are very similar but in different ways. The mugen arms are harder and more prone to breaking, the losi's is softer and will flex to the point that they become bowed. The losi, you need to keep an eye on the rear diff shims, in the Mugen you have to keep an eye on the diffs fluid level and make sure the outdrives are greased. The mugen is fairly sensitive to setup changes while the losi is sensitive to ride height and droop changes. Both took me about 1 1/2 gallons to break in to the point where the suspension and diffs were free. Both once you find the setup that works for you, you can run it almost anywhere with very little changes.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:22 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jammin57
How did mugen copy losi????? I have owned losi and mugen the quality of mugen is a lot better than losi. Different trucks fit different people buy the cheapest one and try it if it doesn't fit you're driving style sell it and try the other one.
Well for starters just look at the body, looks a lot like a losi 2.0 and then theres the ride height front and rear its exactly the same to the mm. I know there is more I just havent looked hard enough. Just look at what happened when the original 8 came out. All the other companies struggled to keep up with the center driveline, lightened drivetrain and razor sharp handling. The last company to surrender was Kyosho. Even Tyamia came up with a new twist on moving the engine to center by tilting it, but then again the stole that from Traxxas. I like the way the Mugen looks out on the track, I always have. I do not like the ball type front suspension I think it is dated and begs for new technology. I have also heard the buggy is on the fragile side so this has to carry over to the truggy. I am just saying there are several similarities between the 6t and the 2.0. Thats all. Besides its only my 2 cents not like it really makes that big of a difference anyway, just my 2 cents.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I own a mugen6 and am looking to buy another buggy. I am down to a losi or oddonell. I want something that does not have a pillowball setup. Don't get me wrong it drives great. Just want something different.

and the mugen does have a ton of steering.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:24 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)

no offense alan, but your a losi driver no one expects a unbiased opinion from you.

of course ther both good.

these two come to the top every race. but thats not realy saying much. look at ryan maifield... one of the best rc drivers out right now and he can wheel that dump truck rc8t like its goin outa style.

ive had all 3 and i just prefer japanese quality and mugen has got that quality hands down. also the the only thing ive ever had to to cut on mugen to make fit is the tabs the parts are held on the little plastic trees.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.