Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The MP9 is SO much better than the 808!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 08:50 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default The MP9 is SO much better than the 808!

Or is it? (Yes another one of these stupid comparisons ) I tried this in a couple other specific threads with limited success. For those who are familiar with both cars, which would you prefer in terms of pure performance/handling only. I have a brand new 808 that I have yet to drive. I happened to drive an MP9 last weekend and it was simply amazing, best buggy I’ve ever driven. Another driver who is far more experienced than myself backed this statement up.

Is the MP9 that good or perhaps this example was set up perfectly? Can the 808 match or exceed the handling of the MP9?
I appreciate your advice, thank you.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:11 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Cannondale1974
Or is it? (Yes another one of these stupid comparisons ) I tried this in a couple other specific threads with limited success. For those who are familiar with both cars, which would you prefer in terms of pure performance/handling only. I have a brand new 808 that I have yet to drive. I happened to drive an MP9 last weekend and it was simply amazing, best buggy I’ve ever driven. Another driver who is far more experienced than myself backed this statement up.

Is the MP9 that good or perhaps this example was set up perfectly? Can the 808 match or exceed the handling of the MP9?
Of course it can outshine a MP9! Every car on the market today is in my opinion a good car...
The setup and most of all skill of the driver is the most important parts.

The different cars on the market all have different feeling/handling from the start but a good driver can setup any of the cars to perform quite similar, not exactly the same but close enough.

If I were you I would go with the car that you feel for and can get the most help with regarding setups and parts and then you will be a happy driver.

Just my opinion.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:41 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

I have run both and love them both!! I currently run the MP9 and would not trade it for anything!! I was running the 808 with great results and loved it!! The 808 was stolen in Dallas at a race in December and I bought another 808 and MP9 at the same time, I run the MP9 and could not get the feel for it until the local Kyosho drivers helped me out with it. In all fairness, I also have a local XRAY guy helping me out with the 808. I have sold the 808 that I bought and now have 3 MP9's!! The Kyosho support is awesome, I owe a huge THANX to the 2 local Kyosho guys and the guys on the MP9 thread!!! I do owe a THANX to the XRAY guy also!! I have now got 4 Gallons on my MP9 and have the same(stock) bearings, and drivetrain that I started with and it is still as smooth and free rolling as the day I bought it!! I had a problem with the lower arms breaking and I solved that with King Headz upper arms and the updated new green bushings. I am not trashing the 808, I am just giving you my personal experience with both cars!!
Old 06-24-2009, 09:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

the mp9 is a helluva lot of money to drive the same as cheeper cars that are more durable.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

Originally Posted by dreaux
the mp9 is a helluva lot of money to drive the same as cheeper cars that are more durable.
This coming from a guy who asked 500 pointless questions about nothing and didn't even start in this hobby until a few months ago.

How much experience do you have with different buggies to comment on what the MP9 does or doesn't drive like?
Old 06-24-2009, 10:06 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by SQC049
This coming from a guy who is rich, damn good looking, extreamly intelligent, and is a absolute guru when it comes to RC!! and he didn't even start in this hobby until a few months ago. Damn i would never bow down to anyone, but WoW!! your the best!!!

Fixed it for ya.

And thank you for the kind words!! A true gentelmen!!!
Old 06-24-2009, 10:24 AM
Tech Elite

Shit, just realized that you drive a mp9. Sorry. I must have offended you.

I still want to thank you for those kind words. I can't seem to quit blushing!!!
Old 06-24-2009, 10:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Fixed it for ya.

And thank you for the kind words!! A true gentelmen!!!
LMAO!! Best. Comeback. Ever.

On a more serious note, while dreaux may or may not be qualified to make that statement, I think that his assessment is pretty much spot-on from what I've been able to gather.

I think the MP9 is a kick-a$$ machine, but I don't know if it's $200-ish better than an 808, which seems to be the benchmark of buggy reliability, driveability, sturdiness and set-up support/troubleshooting. Quite honestly, the only reason I parted with mine is that parts are a pain to get.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I should mention I’ve driven the MBX5R, 777, 8ight and Odonnell buggy. I feel most comfortable with the 8ight, LOVE the way it turns in off power and jumps incredibly well. The MP9 I drove was everything my 8ight is, but better. I’m thinking the lighter the better.

(side note: weighed a few bare roller chassis’s I have. No engine, radio, body, wing, wheels or air cleaner. My 808 weighed a full 10 ounces less than the 777. wow) Is the MP9 even lighter than the 808?
Old 06-24-2009, 11:07 AM
Tech Elite

Shit, just realized that you drive a mp9. Sorry. I must have offended you.

I still want to thank you for those kind words. I can't seem to quit blushing!!!
Didn't offend, I just don't think you are one to make comments about the comparison of two cars or any cars for that matter. Your past post history is indication that you should read and learn, not spout off about things you don't understand or have not experienced first hand.

If you knew what you were talking about and didn't like the MP9, that's cool. Different cars for different folks.... But you don't have a clue.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:08 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I should mention I’ve driven the MBX5R, 777, 8ight and Odonnell buggy. I feel most comfortable with the 8ight, LOVE the way it turns in off power and jumps incredibly well. The MP9 I drove was everything my 8ight is, but better. I’m thinking the lighter the better.

(side note: weighed a few bare roller chassis’s I have. No engine, radio, body, wing, wheels or air cleaner. My 808 weighed a full 10 ounces less than the 777. wow) Is the MP9 even lighter than the 808?
No...I believe at the moment with all stock items. The 808 is lightest, followed by the Hyper 9 and then the Losi 2.0. I believe the MP9 is 4th...Not 100% sure though
Old 06-24-2009, 11:22 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i have owned both cars so can give you my honest opinion the 808 is lighter and in my opinion slightly more agile and very easy to work in also really tough i ran mine for a whole season with only a broken shock shaft ,the mp9 is a very stable over bumps easy to drive car and jumps better than the 808 ,where i live parts are about the same price for either car ,i sold the mp9 and kept my 808 cause it suited my driving style better and my times were slightly better only by about half a second but still faster ,buy a second hand one try it if you dont like it sell it , if you like it sell it and buy a new one
Old 06-24-2009, 11:24 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by SQC049
Didn't offend, I just don't think you are one to make comments about the comparison of two cars or any cars for that matter. Your past post history is indication that you should read and learn, not spout off about things you don't understand or have not experienced first hand.

If you knew what you were talking about and didn't like the MP9, that's cool. Different cars for different folks.... But you don't have a clue.
your right. who am i to speak my mind on a public forrum?? What was i thinking! OOHHH wise one, you teach me the error of my ways!

actually, I by a large margin ask more questions then anybody on this board (probably for some time) What does that tell you?

How about, i am not affraid to ask, i don't know everything and don't assume to. but through this process i have learned ALOT and that happens by being humble and asking for help. I simply made a statement based on relibable and credible sources and friends. I guess they all don't have a clue either eehh? Always hear the same thing about kyosho. overpriced, and not as durable as xray or mugen. Don't feel bad i hear the same thing about the rc8. I have a friend with st rr and losi etc. maybe i can get them to talk to you. Maybe you might take it better then.

frustrating huh? I don't even own one

i really am a nice guy. so i guess i can appolgize for being a horses ass. But some people make it so easy too.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:24 AM
Tech Addict

Thumbs up

I hate doing these compairisons but here goes...

I've driven both buggies, and have to say that both are near the top of the list for "best buggy". Both have strengths and weaknesses, you cant really comment definitively on all of the handling because there are too many variables.

So here is my quick rate:

MP9:
Durability 8 out of 10
Stability 10 out of 10 (roll over vs traction)
Steering 9 out of 10
Jumping 8 out of 10
=35

808:
Durability 9 out of 10
Stability 8 out of 10
Steering 9 out of 10
Jumping 10 out of 10
=36

Yes, its that close! Although I do have to mention the price comparison isn't that close.

I race the 808 now because its a bit lighter, and jumps like a gazelle. Its actually a cheap car to race, because things wear out before they break. All I can say is... quality! I have never, and I say NEVER broken an arm on my 808, and thats in 1 year of solid racing with practice. I also have online race results that prove I finished 18 main events in a row without a DNF while running the 808. I actually finished 20 straight but cant prove a couple races. If those results don't tell how well made this buggy is NOTHING will!

Other cars I've driven or owned:
Losi 1.0 & 2.0 (I've owned and raced a Losi 8 also)
Mugen (also a good race car)
Hot Bodies D8
Hyper 9 (Tons of steering, Almost too much!)

In conclusion I prefer the 808 over the MP9.

Just my opinion...
Old 06-24-2009, 11:55 AM
Tech Elite

your right. who am i to speak my mind on a public forrum?? What was i thinking! OOHHH wise one, you teach me the error of my ways!

actually, I by a large margin ask more questions then anybody on this board (probably for some time) What does that tell you?

How about, i am not affraid to ask, i don't know everything and don't assume to. but through this process i have learned ALOT and that happens by being humble and asking for help. I simply made a statement based on relibable and credible sources and friends. I guess they all don't have a clue either eehh? Always hear the same thing about kyosho. overpriced, and not as durable as xray or mugen. Don't feel bad i hear the same thing about the rc8. I have a friend with st rr and losi etc. maybe i can get them to talk to you. Maybe you might take it better then.

frustrating huh? I don't even own one

i really am a nice guy. so i guess i can appolgize for being a horses ass. But some people make it so easy too.
I don't know what you think you have proved, but it is obvious from the sarcastic tone of your post that you feel like you have one upped me some way.

Answer me this, have you ever owned an MP9 or 808? Worked on either? Repaired either? Had to replace parts and keep them running for a season? A month? A day? A qualifier?

I think you get my point.

Edit: Look at post #14, the one above this. That is informed opinion, not, "I heard from a friend of my brothers sisters best friends cousins uncles father that the D8 is the best buggy ever."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.