Community
Wiki Posts
Search

front one way or solid or diff?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 02:10 AM
Tech Initiate

Default front one way or solid or diff?

What you guys prefer for front one way solid or diff? people keep saying the diff is better but i dunno ... what is the difference anyways?? sorry I'm new to RC so plz forgive me posting noob thread
Old 06-22-2009, 02:18 AM
Tech Master

A newbie in fuel sedan myself, too, just compared them both, diff and oneway, running on track - there's more resistance in front with the diff (I think it depends on the size of the tires front & rear), car felt like it rolled much better with the oneway, on a clean track with good bite I preferred the oneway although braking is harder and the car spins easily if braking too hard. Use the EPA and/or EXP for the brake to keep the car in control. I would say diff is easier but not necessarily faster when improving in driving. Solid is a locked diff so it is closer to the the diff.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:24 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skyshen
What you guys prefer for front one way solid or diff? people keep saying the diff is better but i dunno ... what is the difference anyways?? sorry I'm new to RC so plz forgive me posting noob thread
hi skyshen,as my experiance using 1way, solid spool, diff all the same for me but solid spool or diff i will be using for less traction track n tight track but 1way i will use for big track with better traction,
Old 06-22-2009, 07:04 AM
Tech Regular

I think its what ever works for your driveing style and the way the chassis is set up. Try them all. I like the spool or diff. Usually the spool. The oneway is hard to get used to (no front brakes).
Old 06-22-2009, 08:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I like the one way lockable its 2 in 1.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

check with local racers, and find out what they normally use. my case, i like spool on race day which is recommended in my track situation. but guess what? im faster with 1-way by 0.4+ sec down but its not tolerable to mistakes. on my review, its not always by the book
Old 06-23-2009, 07:16 PM
Tech Adept

try them both see how it feels, but ill tell you from my experiance with both, w/ the diff it was a little easier to drive and brake. w/the one way i was flying from corner to corner but dont slam on the brakes. play around with them both and depending on the track your racing on they will both be good setups
    Old 06-24-2009, 12:57 AM
    Tech Master

Now with the EPA set correctly I don't consider braking is any harder with the oneway
    Old 06-24-2009, 01:57 AM
    Tech Initiate

how to set the EPA?? by increasing or decreasing the curve??
    Old 06-24-2009, 02:09 AM
    Tech Master

I kept the curve linear (EXP) and set the EPA (end-point) to 60% instead of 100%
    Old 06-24-2009, 05:14 AM
    Tech Addict

Default tire wear

which one will have a better tire wear and which will wear the tires fastest?

Old 06-24-2009, 06:30 AM
    Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by keavze
    which one will have a better tire wear and which will wear the tires fastest?

spool is the worst for tire wear, the front tires always have to scrub while cornering because they are locked together where a oneway would allow the outside tire to spin faster in a sweeper. a spool also locks your fronts to your rears which can cause the rears to overspin depending on the split you are running

a oneway can have brakes as mentioned above, but a spool car will always have stronger brakes since 4 tires are doing the work so they can brake later than a oneway car and have the benefits of both fronts pulling on the corner exit.

people swear that 300k in a front diff is good, I think 80k-100k is about the most to still get a real diff action. the diff allows you to be harder on the throttle exiting a corner because the car will not drift out as much as with a oneway or spool (they act the same under power)

people swear that a oneway is the best because it forces you to use momentum since you have little braking power, if you have a medium traction track it will probably be a great learning aide but look at all the pictures of the race winning cars or cars to be released. they all have diffs or spools.
    Old 06-24-2009, 06:57 AM
    Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Brian Bosley
    spool is the worst for tire wear, the front tires always have to scrub while cornering because they are locked together where a oneway would allow the outside tire to spin faster in a sweeper. a spool also locks your fronts to your rears which can cause the rears to overspin depending on the split you are running

a oneway can have brakes as mentioned above, but a spool car will always have stronger brakes since 4 tires are doing the work so they can brake later than a oneway car and have the benefits of both fronts pulling on the corner exit.

people swear that 300k in a front diff is good, I think 80k-100k is about the most to still get a real diff action. the diff allows you to be harder on the throttle exiting a corner because the car will not drift out as much as with a oneway or spool (they act the same under power)

people swear that a oneway is the best because it forces you to use momentum since you have little braking power, if you have a medium traction track it will probably be a great learning aide but look at all the pictures of the race winning cars or cars to be released. they all have diffs or spools.
    I like that answer
    Old 06-24-2009, 09:38 AM
    Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Brian Bosley

very clear explanation sharing my experience.

the adaptability of a diff is somewhat tune able. but it sacrifice time for messy settings and track lap time. well suited for a driver with inconsistent line or even "playing it safe" kind of driver. tire wear is depending on setting and driving style. mostly, racers tune to almost spool. consider using this for a track with lost of hair pins, high speed chicanes braking or even to handle wild motors

1-way tends to wear down rear tire faster. the rate is almost 2 pairs rear to 1 pair front because of rear braking. without a good racing line, this setting kills setting wise its easier but different from diff settings. if u happen to be good on flowing section, 1-way might help. the key point using 1-way, brake early(or none at all lol), no drastic act, and glide(maybe a bit of throttle) at hair pins.

its very easy to drive a car equipped with spool.normally we only have understeer. when u dont have front traction, let go of the throttle a bit until the car finds its grip then u blast it all the way. sacrifice cornering speed but makes it up with late braking. the downside,but it increase more drag, premature front out drive and uj/cva failure.

try all and see what suits u. know yr ability on track and try to focus more on yr strong section(s). use the appropriate things and hopefully it may help u improve lap time.
    Old 06-24-2009, 11:23 AM
    Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nazwenhome
    very clear explanation sharing my experience.

the adaptability of a diff is somewhat tune able. but it sacrifice time for messy settings and track lap time. well suited for a driver with inconsistent line or even "playing it safe" kind of driver. tire wear is depending on setting and driving style. mostly, racers tune to almost spool. consider using this for a track with lost of hair pins, high speed chicanes braking or even to handle wild motors

1-way tends to wear down rear tire faster. the rate is almost 2 pairs rear to 1 pair front because of rear braking. without a good racing line, this setting kills setting wise its easier but different from diff settings. if u happen to be good on flowing section, 1-way might help. the key point using 1-way, brake early(or none at all lol), no drastic act, and glide(maybe a bit of throttle) at hair pins.

its very easy to drive a car equipped with spool.normally we only have understeer. when u dont have front traction, let go of the throttle a bit until the car finds its grip then u blast it all the way. sacrifice cornering speed but makes it up with late braking. the downside,but it increase more drag, premature front out drive and uj/cva failure.

try all and see what suits u. know yr ability on track and try to focus more on yr strong section(s). use the appropriate things and hopefully it may help u improve lap time.
    diffs are great if you carry a few different ones with different geases.
    i LOVE the soild front, more on power steering and 4 wheel braking. great for aggressive driving or if you hammering it out of turns. (easy to drive once your use to it) i just started to use one and love it, i have a hard time with the diff back in and only use it for very small track set ups.