Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
The reason for the lack of mod drivers... >

The reason for the lack of mod drivers...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The reason for the lack of mod drivers...

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 09:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Reasons for lack of Mod Drivers...

- Too fast for most
- More wear and tear on cars (cost)
- Go through foam/rubber tires faster (cost)
- Not enough guys running mod at the club\local level
Old 06-17-2009, 09:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Luke Hobson
with out wanting to say the age old saying of "man up"....which btw i happen to agree with lol.

IMO if you place in top 10 of a large race in stock class you should move up, simple as (i can tell already im going to be shot down in flames for this lol)

i dont really understand the idea of being factory for running in a stock class.

6.5 lipo we run in the UK feels slow tbh, im not sure how 17.5 would be
I can tell you exactly why ...
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 06-17-2009, 09:21 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ~McSmooth~
Which reminds me, I still have your watch.
Goetz told me you still had his tighty whitey's too
Old 06-17-2009, 09:23 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by abailey21
Goetz told me you still had his tighty whitey's too
See, now I KNOW you're lying.

(Goetz doesn't wear underpants)
Old 06-17-2009, 09:40 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Apex
Reasons for lack of Mod Drivers...

- Too fast for most
- More wear and tear on cars (cost)
- Go through foam/rubber tires faster (cost)
- Not enough guys running mod at the club\local level
This seems like a very good assessment of the problem. Money is tighter than ever so anything that wears equipment out faster will cost more so most guys don't want the added cost. I know most of are indoor tracks are kinda small to run mod on as 13.5 seems plenty fast enough on these tracks. We do have one or two huge outdoor tracks that 10.5 or a little lower would work on and then the most other outdoor tracks 13.5 is plenty fast for most.

For me it would be all about the extra cost of tires I burn up. Can't afford the additional costs.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jopor
but for me the most funny part is in every motor sport we try to go faster and here on rc electric we want to be more drivable, i think this is against human natur but it´s okay.
thats not true, at least here in the states it isn't. in NASCAR they use "restricter plates" to slow the cars down, in NHRA they limit the amount of Nitro the the Top Fuel cars car run, heck they shorten the track to keep speeds down. theres more examples but that gets the point across.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:02 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by skypilot
thats not true, at least here in the states it isn't. in NASCAR they use "restricter plates" to slow the cars down, in NHRA they limit the amount of Nitro the the Top Fuel cars car run, heck they shorten the track to keep speeds down. theres more examples but that gets the point across.
Indeed. In Formula 1, they've reduced the size of the engines and the size of the wings in an effort to keep the speeds down.

Also, I would have no problem with R/C going back to a motor limit for mod (10.5, 8.5, whatever). Most real forms of racing have limits on engine size. Even in nitro R/C racing, your engines must of a certain size.

Why does modified electric HAVE to be unlimited?

(my God, I've made a relevant post!)
Old 06-17-2009, 10:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jopor
i´m sure he is not going to be there, because is going to see he is not skilled enough to be there and naturally he´s going to stock class, no doubt.
this assumes people are both, logical and honest.

ask around. most racers i know would tell you their lines are 'pretty close' to josh cyrul's. dunno what it is about r/c racers (or people in general), but they love an illusion!

eg: sponsored by - (insert ridiculous fake 'rock star' signature) ....
Old 06-17-2009, 10:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

So you don't have to tech...and people can't cheat
Old 06-17-2009, 10:19 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by stitchy
So you don't have to tech...and people can't cheat

+1

still waiting for the racers on that list to step up and set the example .....

maybe in a few more years ?
Old 06-17-2009, 10:25 AM
Tech Master

This is a great thread..And I guess I am one of those factory stock guys and was around when it all started...But I would love to run mod and given the chance I would...I think one of the big things is back in the day mod use to sell stuff but today people are looking at whats winning stock to some point, not saying mod does not but stock racing is what is happening all over..And guys want to see what and who won stock...But the support factors in if you go to mod and suck meaning bottom of the a or top of the b you may lose your sponership...Which I don't mind being in the bottom or top but loseing my sponership wouldn't be cool...I think we need some type of ranking system..Roar in kinda doing that with kicking guys out of 17.5 for 5 years at Roar races..But belive me ever since I started racing I wanted to run mod...I want to race guys like Josh, Paul, Barry, Ralph and Dumas guys that are at the top of the game..Just my 2 cents...

Drew
Old 06-17-2009, 10:29 AM
Tech Master

McSmooth is right - All forms of racing have made major changes to slow cars down, make them safer, more drivable and most importantly improve racing... Why should R/C be any different?? TC and 1/12 have had NO CHANGE to reduce speeds or improve drivability (at least here in the US). 3.7v Lipo is here for 1/12 and pan cars and I really think this will help the popularity of these classes.

Everyone forgets about technology and development in these threads - In another 1-2 years - speedo mfg's will have several more jumps in terms of the performance with timing maping, Lipo batteries will impove, BL motors will improve... 13.5 will be as fast as Mod is now and Mod will be extinct (At the Reedy, EJ Evan's 13.5 times were faster than open Mod)...

Jopor - On a 300' x 100' nitro track, your right and it's probably fine but really how many people are racing on these types of tracks?? In the US we maybe have 8-10 permanant 1/8 style tracks (all simply sectioned off parking lots, not European style). Even on a track that size, if a novice to intermediate racer crashes at those speeds their car is toast and thus the cost becomes a factor....
Old 06-17-2009, 10:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Hmmm,

It looks like so far we have:

1.)Too fast for Average Joe to participate.
2.)No incentive for the faster Stock guys to move up. Possible loss of Sponsorship...

I guess the question is; how can we fix this? Motor limits in the mod class? Eliminate ALL sponsorship for the Stock classes? Ideas anyone?
Old 06-17-2009, 10:34 AM
Tech Master

Here's a thought - Blackstock ran at Cleveland with a 3.5-4.0 (I can't remember exactly) and ran about 8 minutes in TC Mod Foam. Leave the 7.4v lipo but reduce the capacity from 5000's down to 2400-3200's for Mod? Slightly slower speeds due to dumping, better/closer racing with strategy involved. Lighten the weight limit to reduce the wear/tear on the car and tires... I would be down for that for sure!!
Old 06-17-2009, 10:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Indeed. In Formula 1, they've reduced the size of the engines and the size of the wings in an effort to keep the speeds down.

Also, I would have no problem with R/C going back to a motor limit for mod (10.5, 8.5, whatever). Most real forms of racing have limits on engine size. Even in nitro R/C racing, your engines must of a certain size.

(my God, I've made a relevant post!)
Someone call McBride and tell him someone hacked into his account......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.