Big bore shocks,
off set rear drive shaft,
centrally located motor,
super narrow chassis,
new style front end...
enough for you?
Old 06-29-2009, 01:51 PM
Tech Rookie

i just traded off a keen hawk (df03) tamiya buggy for an old school t-maxx. and yes i have always been a traxxas hater. no kits anymore and crumby exploded view instead of an actual manual which takes forever. but happy with it. it's beefy and has a wide set of mashers. just have to rebuild the front end as the thing has an inch of dirt/mud/oil on it. first impression is i wish the tamiya plastic was as nice as this thing. i tried to break the arms as someone thought i almost got the magic wheel ripoff. and i couldn't. nice though i can go get the parts in the shop. no more hong kong (rcmart). token from the first page said in colorado traxxas is big. he's right. i've lived here my whole life (25 years) and they are huge. go into a few of the shops without a traxxas and you'll get laughed out. or if i wanted to find a part that would work on my blackfoot or df03 they always try to sell me a traxxas part that i know won't work. only been to one and asked about tamiya parts and the guy said i'd be happier with a losi and didn't bring up traxxas. sadly that guy just recently closed up. honestly, in my opinion, i think all rc cars are money pits. unless it's sealed in the box you really don't get what you put into it. i see 2 and 3 thousand dollar cars on craigslist from time to time. and the ads don't dissappear til they slashed the price down to a few hundred.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:36 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by malcnz
The Losi Eight:
Big bore shocks,
off set rear drive shaft,
centrally located motor,
super narrow chassis,
new style front end...
enough for you?

Losi is at the top of their game currently and there's no 2 way's about it....EVERY other brand has knocked something off the 2.0's weather it be shock angle's or ride height setting's or a whole damn copy like the x-ray....but Traxxas being innovative and starting trends....I think Not.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:54 PM
Tech Addict

I wonder how many hobby shops would be up sh!t creek if they did not sell Traxxas?

There is no way to compare Traxxas anything to a race buggy or truggy. Two very separate markets.

Ed M.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:28 PM
Tech Rookie

traxxas is badass its funny these haters compare their 1200$ truggies to 400$ traxxas
Old 07-01-2009, 12:05 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Wow. I have never seen such extremes, as to the opinions of others regarding Traxxas. I'll say I like Traxxas products. I'm more of a basher at heart, but I've started getting a little interested in the sport comp end of things, as I just started a track in the back yard.

Never the less, I think Traxxas has a good thing going. Yes, they do tend to continually re-hash old models, or make new ones using the same parts as the old models, but it's just pratical for them to do so, in order to maximize their profits.

I started this hobby with a nitro Kyosho Inferno 10, but never had the money to get serious until I got my first job, and then an E-Maxx. I got tired of the Maxx (but never broke it), went to a Tamiya TXT-1 (still have it), then to a Clodbuster (I'm a rock crawler guy), and finally made my way back to Traxxas when the Rustler VXLs came out. I bought that and had fun with it, but decided the whole battery charging thing wasn't for me. I sold it and bought an Revo 3.3, which I have put a lot of time, money, and work into. I will never sell that truck. It was my second experience with a nitro machine, and it went off perfectly. Before I even had the Revo, I had a very good understanding of the two stroke nitro engines, but I will say Traxxas goes way above and beyond what many manufacturers do to ensure their customers get off to a great start with their new nitro machine. The Traxxas manuals are second to none. I've never had any major issues with any of my Traxxas models. The Revo has been the most enjoyable nitro RC truck I have ever owned, thus far. I've expanded to other nitro models, other then Traxxas, and look forward to the experience, but really I don't see why all the Traxxas put downs. They have excellent support, customer-wise, and after market. You can probably get the parts you need at most any well stocked hobby shop. Traxxas is definitely popular. No can deny that. Sure, some of their models need some modding, or after market parts, and yes, it would be nice to see them design something totally new, instead of re-hashing old models with brushless systems, but it seems to be working well for them. Traxxas may never be big in racing, but that is not their intention. They are for the bashers.

Their best achievements include the E-Maxx of old, which did revolutionize the EP monster truck world, the Revo, for it's awesome suspension and out of the box thinking, being one of the first manufacturers to do RTR brushless models for the masses, and today, their brushless 1/16 scale trucks, which I also own one of each. I think a lot of got started with a Traxxas product at some point. I have never had any bad experiences with Traxxas products, other then the darn Slash I had, which kept chewing up spur gears because Traxxas doesn't have a 100% enclosed dust cover. I will say I'd like to see Traxxas try something truely new and innovative for themselves again, but if they continue as they are, I am sure they will survive for years to come.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bentgear
I wonder how many hobby shops would be up sh!t creek if they did not sell Traxxas?

There is no way to compare Traxxas anything to a race buggy or truggy. Two very separate markets.

Ed M.
The "new to rc" buying public as a whole likes big shiny fast cars, that it why Traxxas seems to be so popular. I have logged a lot of hours working at 2 different hobby shops and the number one questin is "how fast does it go?" I could explain until I was blue in the face that there were other cars that were better in different ways, but the t-maxxes and revo's are big fast and shiny, that seems to be all that matters to most people just getting into the hobby. I personally hate most traxxas cars, 9 out of 10 cars that I had to repair were traxxas, and I NEVER had a traxxas engine that wanted to cooperate with me, they all sucked.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:52 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BIG RE
The "new to rc" buying public as a whole likes big shiny fast cars, that it why Traxxas seems to be so popular. I have logged a lot of hours working at 2 different hobby shops and the number one questin is "how fast does it go?" I could explain until I was blue in the face that there were other cars that were better in different ways, but the t-maxxes and revo's are big fast and shiny, that seems to be all that matters to most people just getting into the hobby. I personally hate most traxxas cars, 9 out of 10 cars that I had to repair were traxxas, and I NEVER had a traxxas engine that wanted to cooperate with me, they all sucked.
I concur.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Do you think all the hate for traxxas could be based on the fact the the first Nitro car you has was a traxxas. mean you didnt know what the he!! you were doing? So many people talk about how traxxas makes crap and it just breaks all the time and the motors are junks. Well i must be one of the luck ones I guess. Ya stuff breaks but my Xray buggy breaks too. traxxas make a great product to get you started in the hobby. Once you get tired of jumping piles of dirt, then you go buy something you can race.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:20 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Madbrad
Do you think all the hate for traxxas could be based on the fact the the first Nitro car you has was a traxxas. mean you didnt know what the he!! you were doing? So many people talk about how traxxas makes crap and it just breaks all the time and the motors are junks. Well i must be one of the luck ones I guess. Ya stuff breaks but my Xray buggy breaks too. traxxas make a great product to get you started in the hobby. Once you get tired of jumping piles of dirt, then you go buy something you can race.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:53 PM
Tech Adept

I have mixed feelings about traxxas. First, let me say that their little Pro .15 engine is durable as heck. When I got my first T Maxx, I knew nothing of RC. I abused the heck out of my first engine. I never cleaned or oiled the air filter in the years that I owned it. The engine never saw a drop of after run oil, I would let fuel sit in the engine for months upon months on end, heck, I would even sometimes run it in a dusty environment with NO air filter, because I knew nothing of engine maintenance. Do you wanna guess how long this engine lasted me before going kaput? 5 years. I've seen people take care of their engines well, and they've lasted for shorter amounts of time.

However, my T Maxx would not stop breaking. On the other hand, my friend has owned a Jato 3.3 for a few years now and has not had to replace one part. So I really don't know what to think of traxxas.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Thinking about switching to Traxxas.......

Rex
Old 07-01-2009, 04:41 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 22Racer
Thinking about switching to Traxxas.......

Rex
HELLO!!!!!.....
Old 07-01-2009, 07:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BIG RE
At my LHS that I never go to, there is the cars on the wall, it says price in smaller numbers, then in BIGGER numbers it says how fast it goes for EVERY vehicle.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:00 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Integra
Losi is at the top of their game currently and there's no 2 way's about it....EVERY other brand has knocked something off the 2.0's weather it be shock angle's or ride height setting's or a whole damn copy like the x-ray....but Traxxas being innovative and starting trends....I think Not.
ever heard of the slash keep drinking your hateraid.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.