Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Busted my soldering iron... goot irons any good? >

Busted my soldering iron... goot irons any good?

Busted my soldering iron... goot irons any good?

Old 02-15-2004, 08:51 AM
Tech Adept

Yes the tip is decent. Mine is a year old. Still solders well. It has a angled flat tip (45 degrees). Trust me.. You will like it. The only negitive thing I might say about Goot TQ-95 is the cord is a little heavy duty.
Old 02-15-2004, 10:00 AM
Tech Addict

So it comes with a flat wedge style tip, like a highly angled flat head screw driver? In the picture it looks like a pencil tip and someone told me that it comes with a pencil style tip.
Old 02-15-2004, 10:57 AM
Tech Addict

Can anybod clarify if the goot comes with a pencil style tip or a flat style tip? What is the part number of the flat style tip is if it's not included?
Old 02-15-2004, 11:01 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i think most goot comes with pencil type...you gotta get replacement tips
Old 02-15-2004, 11:04 AM
Tech Addict

Default I have it

The stock tip is the one to use, Its a tapered tip from 1/4" down to a sort of point. You use the side of the tip to solder the batteries and the point for finer work. I bought a 2mm tip and don't use it, the stock one works much better. It stays clean, has a nice coating and with a dip in flux comes out ready to solder. Had mine for a year, thinking of buying another one for a spare. I never had a better solder gun or pencil.

The tip looks just like a sharpened pencil. And I changed the cord on mine to a longer MUCH more flexible. Just used an extension cord from the discount store. Gets rid of the 3rd prong too.
Old 02-15-2004, 11:59 AM
Tech Adept

Go to www.bomir.com and check out specs for yourself. They also have a gun version their too. If you like gun style soldering tool.
Old 02-15-2004, 12:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by AWOLsoldier
Just got the goot iron today and built a pack with it. This iron is probably the best iron i've ever seen! Press the little button and after a few seconds the whole iron is cherry red and it takes 2 seconds to fix a bar on a cell. The tip seems small but actually does an excellent job and at the heat it kicks out, a wider tip wouldn't really make much of a difference.

Other than slightly melting my deans jig and some of the cell shrink wrap, i give the goot 2 thumbs up. I'll post some pics later if anyone is interested.
So you are talking about the $35 iron? Please post some pics like you said, as I am interested. It just surprises me that this is such a good iron at such a low price. Correct me if I'm wrong!
Old 02-15-2004, 12:45 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by etzkev
So you are talking about the $35 iron? Please post some pics like you said, as I am interested. It just surprises me that this is such a good iron at such a low price. Correct me if I'm wrong!
It's the best iron i've used. I'll probably never get another soldering station type iron again.
Old 02-15-2004, 08:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Well.... my Goot worked alright for about a month then the heating element burnt out. I had to buy the tip I wanted, the one that comes with it is a pencil tip type. I didnt like my iron enough to buy a replacement element. I just sucked it up and sprung for a Hako. But thats just my experience with my Goot, others seem to like them.
Old 02-15-2004, 09:19 PM
Tech Champion

Anyone know where I can buy a replacment heating element for a goot rx-711as? the part number is rx-701.

I have seen tips and complete units here and there but not the heating element...

Thanx...
Old 02-15-2004, 11:37 PM
Tech Elite

Busted my crappy $6 iron on the weekend. The iron and the handle became loose, I pulled out the tip and ash fell out. Home depot has 80wt wellers for $20 with hugh tips. Looks good to me.
Old 02-16-2004, 04:47 AM
Tech Adept

Dragon try the bomir site. They have plenty of goot stuff. Email them for parts?
Old 04-07-2004, 01:05 AM
Tech Addict

Do tips from any other irons fit the goot? I didnt buy a wedge shaped bit for assembling batteries and the bomir site has a minimum order of somthing like $25 and I only need one tip.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:35 AM
Tech Addict

Has anybody gotten a tip from another iron to fit the goot?
Old 11-12-2005, 01:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AE Racer
Has anybody gotten a tip from another iron to fit the goot?
like to find that out too. looking to get one to keep at home so i can keep my other soldering pack in my race stuff.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.