Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Busted my soldering iron... goot irons any good? >

Busted my soldering iron... goot irons any good?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Busted my soldering iron... goot irons any good?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2004, 03:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

You can order the base setup, which is very heavy and sturdy for like $15 from them too. Even with the base, its still cheaper than any decent hakko and its a great iron. The things get so HOT that the things glow bright fire red.

Later EddieO
Old 01-01-2004, 03:41 PM
Tech Master

i own a goot and love it. with the stock tip you can solder up a battery pack no problem at all! works killer!
Old 01-01-2004, 03:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by UCHEATULOSE
i own a goot and love it. with the stock tip you can solder up a battery pack no problem at all! works killer!
After using a cheap iron for years I picked up a goot RX-711AS solding station and have been very impressed with its performance. Approx 2mins from dead cold and your ready to do your batts + udj temp means you can do other fidly little things with the same iron and not burn everything to death. Handle stays nice a cool no matter how long you leave it on.

Unfortunatly a friend did his batts and also did he-man style solding a broke it in half. it goes back otgether easy enuf but the heating elemnt broke so a new one is needed. I think its just reality that a lightweight iron is going to be less durable when you use your muscels.
Old 01-01-2004, 04:03 PM
Tech Elite

So The base and iron would be like $60.00? And i can order These from local hobby shop or Website? Prefer Local So dont have to pay Shipping
Old 01-01-2004, 04:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Pecor posted the link to bomir, the people who sell the goot. You can find the base by looking around their site. Their shipping is pretty cheap.....and no tax.

Later Eddie
Old 01-01-2004, 04:16 PM
Tech Elite

Nice, Ill Maybe be getting one Since ya Said they pretty good Was planning on hako but his is cheaper and ya say its pretty good
Old 01-01-2004, 04:26 PM
Tech Elite

Well when I get it (got two day air shipping) i'll take a few pics and give a review. I hope it fits in the stand i have already.
Old 01-01-2004, 04:27 PM
Tech Elite

good,
Old 01-01-2004, 05:12 PM
Tech Regular

You can pick up a Hako for 69.00 here.

http://www.kiesub.com/

I just got the 936 soldering station & it is excellant.
Old 01-01-2004, 05:17 PM
Tech Elite

69.99 Free Shipping not Bad At all.
Old 01-01-2004, 06:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

i use a goot 60w iron and all i did was replace the stock tip with a long life tip. no problems using it, just let it heat up for a couple of minutes and battery/motor work is a breeze.
Old 01-01-2004, 06:42 PM
Tech Addict

wow ur tips last long mine last like 1 month
Old 01-01-2004, 07:15 PM
Tech Elite

1 months, I assume you don't clean the tip on a damp sponge after use and re-tin. You can dip them in some rosin flux and then wipe with a damp sponge and it does an even better job of cleaning the tip. They should last you much longer then 1 month if your using a high end soldering unit and take good care of it.
Old 01-01-2004, 07:29 PM
Regional Moderator

Default Re: Re: Re: Busted my soldering iron... goot irons any good?

Originally posted by AWOLsoldier
Nah I did let it heat up, i just wanted to put enough pressure down and snapped it... I need an iron with more oomph than a hako can give me. The main problem is soldering bars on the negative side of a cell, those take much more heat than the positve sides. I always have bad joints on the negatives, that's why i got a 150 watt iron, i just hope it's good quality.
im using the iron you want to get, its a really good iron! just remember dont hold down on the boot button too long! or you will get your iron RED HOT! but the bad thing about that iron is that the tips on that iron is really small, even if you get the flat side tips, its still really really small for RC! its true that the 150W will work for soldering batteries, but you will have to wait for a long time to melt the solder on the negative side on the battery.

overall its a really solder...but you just have to wait a long time!
Old 01-01-2004, 07:46 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Busted my soldering iron... goot irons any good?

Originally posted by disaster999
im using the iron you want to get, its a really good iron! just remember dont hold down on the boot button too long! or you will get your iron RED HOT! but the bad thing about that iron is that the tips on that iron is really small, even if you get the flat side tips, its still really really small for RC! its true that the 150W will work for soldering batteries, but you will have to wait for a long time to melt the solder on the negative side on the battery.

overall its a really solder...but you just have to wait a long time!
I have a wider tip that might fit off the iron i broke. I don't want to damage the cells by holding too long but I guess there's no way around it when soldering the negative ends.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.