Search

Diamond Northern RC-Stiffer is better!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 08:20 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default YOkomo Sd

Hello all,

Heres a quick pick of the high performance Warpspeed chassis and top deck for the Yokomo SD.

forty6-I am afriad no extra mounting holes.

Ray
Attached Thumbnails Diamond Northern RC-Stiffer is better!!-dscf0002.jpg  

Last edited by rayhuang; 12-30-2003 at 08:27 AM.
Old 12-30-2003, 08:22 AM
Tech Champion

Heres a pic of the built car. Again-its a solid 3mm top deck and 3mm chassis. Very stiff.
Attached Thumbnails Diamond Northern RC-Stiffer is better!!-cf0004.jpg  
Old 12-31-2003, 09:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Ray- the Yok looks great! What are your thoughts on that chassis set for non carpet use?

Thanks for your info!

Jeff
Old 12-31-2003, 10:16 AM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by rayhuang
Heres a pic of the built car. Again-its a solid 3mm top deck and 3mm chassis. Very stiff.
Hmm I saw that design somewhere else... Really looks like the Athena project, at least the Top Deck.
Old 12-31-2003, 11:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

great idea Ray
it looks like it will make the cars even more competitive, I know when I ran the YOK on carpet that was a major problem. its a good thing you got Warpspeed to make the stuff his quality is awesome.
Mo
Old 01-01-2004, 07:15 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i dont get it, why do people make their own chassis and sell it if it looks exactly the same as the original, or my opinioin a hella lot uglier than the original? im not sure about the price, but if it cost as much or just a little bit less than the original, i much rather stick with them than buying something that they CLAIM will increase your lap time and stuff. these are all gimmicks that lure people in buying stuff!!
Old 01-01-2004, 07:18 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by disaster999
i dont get it, why do people make their own chassis and sell it if it looks exactly the same as the original, or my opinioin a hella lot uglier than the original? im not sure about the price, but if it cost as much or just a little bit less than the original, i much rather stick with them than buying something that they CLAIM will increase your lap time and stuff. these are all gimmicks that lure people in buying stuff!!
If the chassis is a lot stiffer than stock, that's a good reason to try it out, isn't it?
Old 01-02-2004, 11:43 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by AWOLsoldier
If the chassis is a lot stiffer than stock, that's a good reason to try it out, isn't it?
well..thats why yokomo came out with 3 versions of the car...ssg, black special, and the tube composite chassis. the SSG is more flexable than the black special and i heard it good for asphalt. the black special is good for carpet....then the composite might be a all roung car..not really sure...

i just cant help thinking that aftermarket hopups are just rip offs. a well known RC company like yokomo makes top of the line products...cant imagin some dude with too much time on his hands and some machining tools could make something thats already superb ever better!

sorry rayhung, im not just only talking about your products..but the overall picture!
Old 01-02-2004, 12:37 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

the kits that you buy off the shelf are the best that these companies like yokomo,AE,xray ect. can offer at a reasonable price.im sure you would be very suprised if you saw the prototypes for all of these cars.they are much more expensive and much more hitec than what you buy at your LHS.they cost cut and give you the best they possibly can and at the same time make it affordable.all of the high end kits out there are excelent.what people like ray are doing is trying to offer you something better than what came with the kit.everything has room for improvement.if it didnt it would be a pretty boring world.
i think that you have a point that these cars are already worthy of winning races,they do.some of these aftermarket kit do work and do make a noticable difference in the cars overall performance.some are just junk and a big waste of time and money.unfortunately the people are the lab rats.its up to them to find the one that works best for them or if they really need one to begin with.
Old 01-02-2004, 01:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

I think alot of the problem is that most of the cars are designed for asphalt/ rubber tires. and most cars out of the box are competitive this way, but for those of us who race on carpet with foam tires it is a different ball game. I can think of one YOK driver in particular who had his own chassis made for cleveland simply because what YOK had to offer still didnt cover what it needed for carpet racing. If you run outdoors then most of this stuff probably is a waste of money but on carpet as stiff as it gets is better. also a great thing that warpspeed does is balence the car with top of the line electronics in it, this also helps the performance.
It is hard to say anything top of the line is a waste of money when you go to a nationals and are battling over a tenth of a second, also the companies that make crap dont stay in buisness long, I think that between Ray and warpspeed I can assure you they wouldnt go through the trouble and make something that isnt worth looking at.
Mo Denton
Old 01-02-2004, 06:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Thumbs up

hey guys,

i have mixed opinions on many aftermarket products intended to increase the performance of a given car. of course some do, and some don't. additionally, as mo mentioned, some items work better for carpet racing than for asphalt and vice versa.

another opinion that i have, is that ray is a good guy with good intent. i have raced with ray for a while now. he is one of the few guys out here that isn't afraid to try something other than a tc3. why? because we all know that as technology moves forward, the lap times will go down. period.

regardless of who it is, i will alway give props to someone who's trying to be a leader rather than a follower. it's certainly not ray's surplus of time that allows him to do this. it's his passion for the hobby, and the satisfaction that comes with making, what you believe, is a superior product. i've seen ray run with a few different cars over the last two years, and he's not afraid to say something sucks. and we aren't afraid to tell him either. right now the finger gets pointed toward cars equipped with a weak chassis. will time prove this incorrect? maybe, but for now i can tell you that ray would not put forth any type of effort toward a project that is knowingly inferior.

while i won't say that a ton of engineering goes into a chassis design that is nothing more than increasing the mass of the chassis to gain rigidity, it is very effective in acheiving the goal. i don't know that these chassis will be a revolution to two very competent cars, but i do think the the price is fairly attractive, and that guys like ray, victor, and the bmi dude keep this hobby fresh and evolving.

a year from now, everyone will be winning with a 3mm chassis...or even 3.5 or 4. OR dan miles and alex lopez will still be tq'ing and winning indoor events with the factory chassis. we'll see. and yes, if the latter is true, then you wasted 100 bux, and THEN it becomes a gimmick.

ps - that ice blue may become more marketable if the god aweful antique finish were removed from the bulkheads.
Old 01-02-2004, 07:20 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Ray,
did you do any testing yet on the xray and yok?if so,did you get good results?i heard alot about the problems people were having with chassis flex on carpet.just curious.
Old 01-03-2004, 04:31 AM
Tech Champion

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the great opinions offered here. I am very happy that Vic and I are doing this venture. Testing was not done by me on these two cars, but were done by factory sponsored drivers who must go nameless. I spent a lot of time running three Xrays (ev02, T1 and Raycer) and I for one could easily see the benefit of a stiffer chassis. When the grip comes way-up and you cannot feel the change you just made-or you feel it-but lap times still dont improve much-it might be an overly flexible chassis!!!

Seaball-See ya Sunday!! And yes-I dont have much free time anymore.

ProTc3-I have seen two of your chassis in Cleveland so far-SWeeetttt!!!
Ray
Old 01-03-2004, 07:20 AM
Tech Regular

Default disaster999

The more I read this post the more ignorant Disaster999's comments become (i dont mean that in a bad way). I can understand the feeling that some of the aftermarket hop-ups are rip-offs but to get on someones post and to question it the way he does is not cool....especially as a moderator. If the RC companies are putting out such perfect equipment then why are the winning cars littered with altered chassis and parts that cannot be purchased by the public.

How many TC3's were left stock at the champs. My guess is that more than 50% of the cars had some chassis modification done to them. I know most or all of the factory drivers are running cars that have serious chassis modification....batteries moved over, lowered battery trays, graphite top decks added.....none of these are factory options. Alex lopez wins the stock class with an Xray that has its share of parts not available to the public....lightened diffs, lightened dogbones, bulkheads that were lightened, lowered, and had added mounting positions. My point is that many of the cars off the shelf are massed produced and are not perfect for all applications. If you have owned a yok or and Xray and you run on carpet it is pretty obvious that making the car stiffer is a definate plus. I for one will weed through what looks like a good idea and what looks like junk.....I am just glad that I have the opportunity to experiment a little.

Finally, Disaster....you have a nice little collection of custom knives there.....I dont know if you collect them or use them but I am assuming that you feel these are better than a knife you can go buy off the shelf...correct? I hope so or some may consider that a waste of money

Last edited by Joneser; 01-04-2004 at 06:59 PM.
Old 01-06-2004, 07:03 AM
Tech Champion

Hey everyone,

In the end-all I care about is performance. And as seaball stated-I wouldnt get involved unless I thought I could imrpove on the performance of the platform I am working with. Dont think this is about the bling bling or about making money. These two chassis conversions are being made for one reason and one reason only-they address poor handling issues faced by those who run Yokomo SD and the Xray on carpet/foam tires or high bite situations. And thats not to say that it wont improve your performance in low grip with the correct suspension changes.

We are working on our first run of Yok and Xray chassis and top decks right now. I should have more news in a few days.

Thanks,
Ray Huang
1-888-551-1044

JOneser-you drove GREAT Sunday. The month off didnt seem to hurt you much. Maybe even helped.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.