Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Issue with YOKOMO D-1 drift suspension

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 02:23 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Issue with YOKOMO D-1 drift suspension

I obtained a Yokomo D-1 Drift car from a friend that wasn't fully assembled. I finished putting the thing together but have run into a problem. After assembling the suspension, if you press on the car, the car bottoms out and never rebounds??!?! All four shocks are properly lubed, the swing arms move freely without the shocks, but they stick once installed. I've tried mounting the shocks in different locations and even stiffer springs but the shocks still don't rebound and the car stayed bottomed out. If I pick up the car, the wheels will then rebound, but not always immediately.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Old 06-04-2009, 06:46 AM
Tech Rookie

I am using the longer pushrod ends as well. This many people and no ideas?
Old 06-04-2009, 07:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

have u fill in the silicon oil?? do u install piston ? upload a picture will be better
Old 06-04-2009, 09:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

no preload on the springs-you do have springs right-
Old 06-04-2009, 02:52 PM
Tech Rookie

I will upload a picture in the morning to show you, but the springs are installed. Again, this is not the first time I've put a kit together, just the first time I had this type of problem. The pistons shafts are fully lubed and rebound smoothly when they are not installed. The swing arm moves freely when the shock is not installed. However, once the shock is installed, it just doesn't rebound until you lift the car off of the ground/table. I tried stiffer springs but the same problem still exists. I'm not sure if I need to upgrade the shocks completely from the stock plastics that come with the D-1 Drift kit to an aluminum or graphite shock assembly or there is something I'm just not seeing.

Thanks for the help. Any random ideas are always appreciated.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:22 AM
Tech Rookie

Ok, I'm not allowed to upload or direct link the photos as I'm too much of a "noob" at this time.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by dbramaged
I will upload a picture in the morning to show you, but the springs are installed. Again, this is not the first time I've put a kit together, just the first time I had this type of problem. The pistons shafts are fully lubed and rebound smoothly when they are not installed. The swing arm moves freely when the shock is not installed. However, once the shock is installed, it just doesn't rebound until you lift the car off of the ground/table. I tried stiffer springs but the same problem still exists. I'm not sure if I need to upgrade the shocks completely from the stock plastics that come with the D-1 Drift kit to an aluminum or graphite shock assembly or there is something I'm just not seeing.

Thanks for the help. Any random ideas are always appreciated.
Sounds like the shocks are binding when you tighten them down. Try loosening the screws on the shocks after they are installed, it could be the nut on the top is pinching the plastic ball and expanding it to bind. The shocks should swing easily on both top and bottom mountings.

It sure would be nice to see a pic. Try just linking to the pic instead of trying to upload it.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:34 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Da Wizard
Sounds like the shocks are binding when you tighten them down. Try loosening the screws on the shocks after they are installed, it could be the nut on the top is pinching the plastic ball and expanding it to bind. The shocks should swing easily on both top and bottom mountings.

It sure would be nice to see a pic. Try just linking to the pic instead of trying to upload it.
They bind with the screw loose or tight, the shock can swing freely. This is the new issue - I took the shocks off my 4-tec and the same thing happens!!! I posted pictures on RCUniverse in their Electric On-Road section as well. The YOKOMO shocks work fine on my 4-tec as well!!!! There HAS to be something wrong with the arms I'm thinking even though with NOTHING installed, the arms move freely without any binding as well!

This just doesn't make any sense. I'm just going to sell the damn thing and stick with my Traxxas vehicles. The Brushless Revo is eating too much money and it's not even finished yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The 4-Tec and Rustler are the only reliable cars I've ever had! haha