http://www.myrcbox.com/?p=1514
Old 06-02-2009, 03:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

awesome! thanks.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Good article, but there are some vehicles (like my 8ight) where you can end up with the carb stud turned down towards the chassis, depending on your engine. This makes it hard to run an actual spring, esp. if you're running a composite carb. This is because the spring will pull on the carb at an angle and can bind the carb and cause burrs on the slide and/or idle screw. What works best for me in this setup is a small hair "ponytailer" or similar. I can put it at the base of the carb, and it's both level with the ballstud and in line with the carb center, and it pulls the carb straight back.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:05 PM
Tech Prophet

yea i like to know how do u install one on a losi eight with the carb rotated at a angle .
Old 06-02-2009, 06:03 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Good point cjtamu
Old 06-03-2009, 10:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 266 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cjtamu
Good article, but there are some vehicles (like my 8ight) where you can end up with the carb stud turned down towards the chassis, depending on your engine. This makes it hard to run an actual spring, esp. if you're running a composite carb. This is because the spring will pull on the carb at an angle and can bind the carb and cause burrs on the slide and/or idle screw. What works best for me in this setup is a small hair "ponytailer" or similar. I can put it at the base of the carb, and it's both level with the ballstud and in line with the carb center, and it pulls the carb straight back.
A pic would be nice.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:51 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

use goodys ouchless clear bands .
available in the hair care aisle

they are the best throttle return spring i have ever used , i include them on most of my engines .

would you like a pic ?

yes it works with losi too

Last edited by houston; 06-03-2009 at 11:04 AM.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

You should try a rubber band. I have noticed and so have many other at my local track, that the barrels wears out fast. The spring try's to twist the barrel as it goes in and out. Some have had the carb lock open and having a run away to deal with. Also the springs looses tension over time, so the barrel wont close every time.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:03 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JoeyTheRocket
You should try a rubber band. I have noticed and so have many other at my local track, that the barrels wears out fast. The spring try's to twist the barrel as it goes in and out. Some have had the carb lock open and having a run away to deal with. Also the springs looses tension over time, so the barrel wont close every time.
Agreed! I use GMK bands myself. They are the perfect size, and seem to last quite a long time. I would think a silicone type band would be even better.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:06 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
Agreed! I use GMK bands myself. They are the perfect size, and seem to last quite a long time. I would think a silicone type band would be even better.
that is what the goody bands are silicone
Old 06-03-2009, 11:07 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
GMK rubber band type are the best. The springs are sometimes very strong and put un needed stress on the throttle servo. Here is what I use.

GMK RETURN BAND
Old 06-03-2009, 11:17 AM
Tech Prophet

pics of installation of return band
Attached Thumbnails install a throttle return spring-throttle-return-band-002.jpg   install a throttle return spring-throttle-return-band-003.jpg   install a throttle return spring-throttle-return-band-005.jpg  
Old 06-03-2009, 11:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Dynamite makes a throttle return spring bent specifically for carbs - the big hook side goes around the high end needle, and the small hook goes around the carb's ball link. I have them on both my 8 and 8T 2.0's, they work great: Click here for part number DYN6640
Old 06-03-2009, 11:48 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 123 (100%+)

One thing I started doing - I saw it mentioned in another thread somewhere so I am not taking credit for the idea - was to replace the set screw that holds the carb ball on the end of the barrel, with a short allen bolt. That way, you have something to wrap the pony tail band around without having to risk taking up space that the throttle linkage needs to "pop" onto the carb ball. It works great and is way too easy to do. I have done this to all my engines.

Just use enought bands, or double them up, or whatever it takes to get the servo/carb to close all the way when the power is off, without being too tight to cause unneccessary stress on the servo or bind on the carb barrel.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:48 AM
Tech Master

I do the same as Houston only different, Around the HS needle housing across front of carb & around ball end pull.

Sharp corners on carb dont seem to cut those things & it takes nitro a month or more to turn them yellow & loose tention,brake cleaner dont melt them either.

I use 1 band but have seen people use up to 3,not sure why but what ever makes you feel good.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.