zip ties

Old 12-26-2003, 05:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default zip ties

is it safe to zip tie a muffler? or should i do something else to secure my new fantom pipe on my rs4 3
Old 12-26-2003, 05:08 PM
Tech Champion

what do you mean by zip tie a muffler?
Old 12-26-2003, 05:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

my tuned pipe doesnt have a mounting bracket like my stock one did so i was gunna zipe tie it someone on my chassis to keep it stable while running, not completely against anything just so it doesnt move so much it comes off....when i ran just stock mounting with out the bracket just zip tied with a rubber seal it came off and my ear started hurting from the header hehe i love loud things, but ya thas the best explanation i can come up with
Old 12-26-2003, 05:54 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by donthaveaclue
my tuned pipe doesnt have a mounting bracket like my stock one did so i was gunna zipe tie it someone on my chassis to keep it stable while running, not completely against anything just so it doesnt move so much it comes off....when i ran just stock mounting with out the bracket just zip tied with a rubber seal it came off and my ear started hurting from the header hehe i love loud things, but ya thas the best explanation i can come up with
heat from the pipe will harden nylon(zip tie) and zip tie will break easily.
Old 12-26-2003, 05:59 PM
Tech Elite

Default is it safe to zip tie a muffler

donthaveaclue;

'Associated' sells tuned pipe retainers made out of piano wire, for pipes that have no other way of supporting them on the chassis.

They come in 2 different styles and you should be able to make one of them fit.
Old 12-26-2003, 06:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I always use zip ties on my muffler (one on the header side and other on the pipe side) ... and i have to change them once every 3-4 months ... not a problem !!
Old 12-29-2003, 08:21 AM
Tech Master

Default Re: zip ties

Originally posted by donthaveaclue
is it safe to zip tie a muffler? or should i do something else to secure my new fantom pipe on my rs4 3
Don't waste time with zip ties. If you can please use the clips you find on your REAL car water hose system. There are those small round clips for the smaller pipes, the clip is enlarged when it is pinched. If anyone has a pic of what I am talking about do put it up here.

Those clips will hold really well and hardly breaks loose. Ties will not be able to hold as tight as the clips.
Old 12-29-2003, 11:52 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think he's talking about the wire retainer that connects muffler to the chassis. If so, I'd cut out a piece from a hanger and bend it to fit the muffler and chassis. Hope this helps.
Old 12-29-2003, 05:43 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by front1wayFreak
I think he's talking about the wire retainer that connects muffler to the chassis. If so, I'd cut out a piece from a hanger and bend it to fit the muffler and chassis. Hope this helps.
use fuel line to cover the contact part of the wire with the pipe with fuel like to avoid wear due to vibration.

Last edited by Manticore; 12-31-2003 at 12:41 AM.