Search

BRCA National (UK) Round 1

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 01:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MattW
Loving the snorkel Ed, top idea

Neither of you have got close to one example i saw yesterday though. The guy had used a box that was long enough to encase the whole motor. Then had the hole the diameter of the motor so eht front end could poke out and be mounted in car. Now that was top work!!!
I know Mr Thorpe was attempting that.... used business card box. I don't know exactly how well it worked at keeping the water out, but I don't believe he popped anything.

I can't take credit for the snorkel idea, that was all Glenn and CJ Actually thoose guys had an even more cunning plan, as they mounted the GM speedo's with heat transfer tape to an alloy plate to keep it cool, then sealed a smaller plastic box of the top... very clever

The snorkel seems to work great for letting the inside breathe a bit, stopping condensation getting to the electronics.

Rich, my box was from Maplins, Maplins Box, it was the MB1.

Cheers
Ed

Last edited by TryHard; 05-18-2009 at 03:52 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:43 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by nnick
Can you please post pictures from the wet prepared cars. I'm curious what you did with the brushless
The main problem with sensored motors in the wet is the sensor cable itself.

Mine also had a snorkel, but this pic is a few months old, it's a business card box but I have a few other idea's to try;

Last edited by Skiddins; 05-18-2009 at 03:26 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:50 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Skiddins
The main problem with sensored motors in the wet is the sensor cable itself.

Mine also had a snorkel, but this pic is a few months old, it's a business card box but I have a few other idea's to try;
Yup the sensor cable is the biggest issue, along with the sensors themselves. That's why there is a load of silicone sealent around the sensor on the motor, and I also took the motor apart and sealed the front and back plates too, then filled in the hole round the solder tabs... no moisture is getting in there, believe me!
Old 05-18-2009, 04:24 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TryHard
Yup the sensor cable is the biggest issue, along with the sensors themselves. That's why there is a load of silicone sealent around the sensor on the motor, and I also took the motor apart and sealed the front and back plates too, then filled in the hole round the solder tabs... no moisture is getting in there, believe me!
I'm mainly worried about the cable, I've sealed the circuit board with a coating ;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEbMuUKZA5U
Old 05-18-2009, 04:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Actually Chris still holds the track record... he posted a 20 304.04 in the warm-up weekend, Andy managed a 20 304.16 in the third round.
You guys are running in the rain and only for 5 minutes? Ouch.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:01 AM
Tech Regular

Not too disimilar, but I can go one better with a Snorkel!

Two connectors are on the side for PT and Servo, and what you can't see is that on the motor front plate, 4 grub screws are silconed into the redundent holes. With all the connectors, that can be in the car in less than 5mins, as proved before round 4 yesterday!

Ed
Ed, how are you attaching it to the chassis? I like the idea of building a permanent box and then putting the lid on when it rains. That way I can take some of the lead of my car as well!
Old 05-19-2009, 12:41 PM
Tech Elite

Old 05-19-2009, 03:11 PM
Tech Adept

The puddle before the hairpin after the sweeper was an awesome brake!

Old 05-19-2009, 03:28 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by scoyle
Ed, how are you attaching it to the chassis? I like the idea of building a permanent box and then putting the lid on when it rains. That way I can take some of the lead of my car as well!
I just secured it down with servo tape.

Ed
Old 05-19-2009, 04:30 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ian S
The puddle before the hairpin after the sweeper was an awesome brake!

Thats me standing under the green tent between the two marshals on the right.

yeah.. the puddle was a fantastic brake, also very good at destorying receivers lol.. whoops
Old 05-20-2009, 10:41 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Nick Priest
Well my first ever national sucked balls

Car was awesome in practise... infact got my fastest lap of 16.45 in practise (about the only time I got a dry run!)

1st Qual - New tyres and learning how to drive the track on the limit, few mistakes
2nd Qual - Good for the first 3 mins then in the last 2 the rain really came down and didn't help the fact I was on slicks.
3rd Qual - Best run of the day, damp/greasy track on slicks didn't help
4th Qual - Torrential rain before and during the race, reciever stopped working 4 laps in
5th Qual - Missed due to reciever

Made G final LOL

Swapped to using my friends car as he couldn't be bothered to run as he qualified poor

1st Final - Good run, damp track on slicks, finished 2nd
2nd Final - Good run, again damp track slicks finished 1st
3rd Final - Rain previous but rapidly drying track and went for slicks which was the best choice and finished 2nd..

So 2nd overall for me in my shitty final.. I think a new reciever, esc/motor comb are needed to be more competitive as the novak is just wank in comparison to the lrp/tekin esc's

Roll on halifax and hopefully an improved car!
Hi Nick
It was me that was playing with you in the G final, as I to had a bad weekend, as last last year I was 4th on the grid in the A, but only had 1 quali run all weekend, the time I put in for the 3rd quali would have put me 8th in the A, and that was driving conservatively, thats why round by round don't work, wrong peeps in wrong finals, it should always be fastest man on pole, apparently F1 are gona do round by round next year NOT!
TCCFM
Old 05-20-2009, 05:24 PM
Suspended

I also think it would be better if it were done like a club night...

Not really fair if you have an A finalist driver down in the G just because they had a couple of bad quals...

My car also really disliked the Sorex 32's

in practise my car was doing 16.45's on 2 year old Rp30's.. on brand spanking new 32's I couldn't get below the 17 second mark!

New receiver should be here by friday hopefully (need it for club night league!) and depending if I get the job i'm after maybe a new tekin speedo to keep up with all the darts down the straight! novak gtb just doesn't cut it anymore!

Hopefully see you at the next round at Halifax?
Old 05-21-2009, 01:03 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Nick Priest
I also think it would be better if it were done like a club night...

Not really fair if you have an A finalist driver down in the G just because they had a couple of bad quals...

My car also really disliked the Sorex 32's

in practise my car was doing 16.45's on 2 year old Rp30's.. on brand spanking new 32's I couldn't get below the 17 second mark!

New receiver should be here by friday hopefully (need it for club night league!) and depending if I get the job i'm after maybe a new tekin speedo to keep up with all the darts down the straight! novak gtb just doesn't cut it anymore!

Hopefully see you at the next round at Halifax?
Hi Nick
What RC car do you drive?

Sorex always work well at Wet London, but you need to make the tyres work for you, and use tweak as an additive.

Electrics I use, you can't go wrong with these
Nosram SPEC on mode 7 in 10.5 and mode 8 for 13.5
Demon Power 5000s 35c lipo's

Malc TCCFM
Old 05-21-2009, 01:43 AM
Tech Master

Hi Ed
Any chance we could have a peak inside your box so to speak lol

I wana see how you have laid it all out in there plz

Im gona use a Tekin RS as you can use it sensorless, will I still need to goope up the plates etc?

Cheers Malc

Oh, and which size did you use btw

Order Code Type Internal Dimensions (mm) External Dimensions (mm)
L W H L W H
LH20W MB1 76 58 36 79 62 39
LH21X MB2 97 73 39.5 100 76 41
LH22Y MB3 115 95 43.5 118 98 45
LH23A MB4 208 122 81 216 130 85
YN40T MB5 145 95 57.5 150 100 60
YN39N MB6 214 143 61 220 150 64
KC89W MB7 172 115 79 177 120 83
KC90X MB8 145 75 46 150 80 50
Old 05-21-2009, 06:35 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by TheCoolCanFanMan
Hi Nick
What RC car do you drive?

Sorex always work well at Wet London, but you need to make the tyres work for you, and use tweak as an additive.

Electrics I use, you can't go wrong with these
Nosram SPEC on mode 7 in 10.5 and mode 8 for 13.5
Demon Power 5000s 35c lipo's

Malc TCCFM
I was using a tc5r on the same setup as Zac Smith who finished 6th in the B iirc

the big C lipos certaintly give an advantage, i'm using 2 year old orion 15c platniums.. so i'd say they're getting a little tired now as well same with the esc and motor.

If I get the job then it will be Tekin Rs and a novak.. that seems to provide a winning combination + the novak motors are nearly bomb proof!

Also a set of tyre warmers will be invested in, I suppose they're a must for outdoor racing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.