Wiki Posts
Search

BRCA National (UK) Round 1

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 02:33 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by yyhayyim
THanks Luke!!!

Wow...Andy Moore started with some bad quals, and seemed like he was heading for the bottom of the B Main. But the last 2 qual rounds he really fought thru and ends up with TQ

Now he's doing even better in the Mains!!! Seems like he figured something out...what happened? How is his car suddenly so good and everyone else seems like they've stagnated? Not to take away anything from a great driver and World Champ like Andy, but it seems like everyone else hasn't found that "switch" Andy turned on before the Mains.

Any News on Grainger and the rest of the MI4 drivers?
I dunno who the marshal is in the video above of top heat qualifying but the passion and committment is amazing .

West London is a track where new tyres can be 0.5s a lap faster and you are only allowed to use a certain amount of control tyres at the UK nationals to keep the costs down. Andy was extremely quick all weekend, he used his new tyres at the perfect time (probably why he seemed lower down the order on saturday). He also set a new track record.

Chris Grainger was unlucky with his Mi4, Lee Woodhams also used his to make the A final and Colin Price unfortunately qualified 11th (or fortunately for me!).
Old 05-17-2009, 02:37 PM
Tech Elite

Here it is;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wEJc4e6vF8
Old 05-17-2009, 06:39 PM
Suspended

Well my first ever national sucked balls

Car was awesome in practise... infact got my fastest lap of 16.45 in practise (about the only time I got a dry run!)

1st Qual - New tyres and learning how to drive the track on the limit, few mistakes
2nd Qual - Good for the first 3 mins then in the last 2 the rain really came down and didn't help the fact I was on slicks.
3rd Qual - Best run of the day, damp/greasy track on slicks didn't help
4th Qual - Torrential rain before and during the race, reciever stopped working 4 laps in
5th Qual - Missed due to reciever

Made G final LOL

Swapped to using my friends car as he couldn't be bothered to run as he qualified poor

1st Final - Good run, damp track on slicks, finished 2nd
2nd Final - Good run, again damp track slicks finished 1st
3rd Final - Rain previous but rapidly drying track and went for slicks which was the best choice and finished 2nd..

So 2nd overall for me in my shitty final.. I think a new reciever, esc/motor comb are needed to be more competitive as the novak is just wank in comparison to the lrp/tekin esc's

Roll on halifax and hopefully an improved car!
Old 05-17-2009, 07:37 PM
Tech Initiate

I booked in yesterday for Halifax which will be my first national.
Looking forward to it!
Hopefully it stays dry.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:43 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Nick Priest
4th Qual - Torrential rain before and during the race, reciever stopped working 4 laps in
5th Qual - Missed due to reciever

I think a new reciever, esc/motor comb are needed to be more competitive as the novak is just wank in comparison to the lrp/tekin esc's
The receivers usually come back to life once they have been dried out properly.
It's the ESC's that go bang and smoke a lot when they get wet.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:24 AM
Suspended

I hope so, I took it apart and sat on it for 2 hours yesterday in an attmepts to dry it, the steering works but still no throttle, when I plug the esc into the servo's hole on the reciever the motor works.

So I think an hour of so under the hair dryer is needed :P
Old 05-18-2009, 06:41 AM
Shop Owner

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Can you please post pictures from the wet prepared cars. I'm curious what you did with the brushless
Old 05-18-2009, 08:21 AM
NDZ
Tech Apprentice

Hi Skiddins,

Can you tell me something on the dissisions made on the rules in mod. Especially the choice for 6.5 turns with lipo? Is this the first year with this class?
In Holland our national championschip suffers from a lack of mod drivers since we still drive another year on sub-c. Only 3 entries . . . . . . so a no go.
What are you're experiances so far with 6.5 lipo en which motors where used?

cheers Niels
Old 05-18-2009, 10:18 AM
Tech Master

Currently we have the option of either 5 cell open mod, or 6.5 turn and lipo. However, so far very few people seem to be taking the lipo option. I think there ware only a small number this weekend.

It is a valid option however, Lee Woodhams made the final with GM motor/ESC and had competitive pace. Maybe a touch less rip from the corner, but clearly enough.

I had a receiver get water in yesterday, dried out and used in next run. Waterproofing is easier if you have sensorless ESC. It is possible with sensored, but you then have to try to ensure no water in motor.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:33 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I've got some pics of wet boxes from yesterday. I was running sensored all day and had no issues with my box, but then I was also using a lot of silicone on the motor to keep the sensors dry. I was very confident in it's ability to stay dry, that I was even using the deep puddles to help slow the car down at one point, which worked very well I'll post a pic up later.

As for the 6.5/LiPo class, there wasn't much of an uptake here, mainly due to two reasons. Firstly west london isn't really a power track, and secondly the weight limit was set at 1500g for those cars, with the 5cells at 1425 still.
Now, if the section can vote a change in the limit before halifax (we tried on sat morning, but didn't have enough drivers present to make it official), then there could be a lot more takers, as the next two tracks reward power
Lee did very well with his car to get up there with the extra weight., I think there was only about 4-5 running that option yesterday.

What would be good too is if we could drop the 10.5 weight at the same time....

Regards
Ed
Old 05-18-2009, 11:02 AM
Tech Addict

here is a very successful wet box used last year.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:57 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Luke Hobson
here is a very successful wet box used last year.

Not too disimilar, but I can go one better with a Snorkel!

Two connectors are on the side for PT and Servo, and what you can't see is that on the motor front plate, 4 grub screws are silconed into the redundent holes. With all the connectors, that can be in the car in less than 5mins, as proved before round 4 yesterday!

Ed
Attached Thumbnails BRCA National (UK) Round 1-r_0426386-4b.jpg  
Old 05-18-2009, 12:34 PM
Tech Master

Loving the snorkel Ed, top idea

Neither of you have got close to one example i saw yesterday though. The guy had used a box that was long enough to encase the whole motor. Then had the hole the diameter of the motor so eht front end could poke out and be mounted in car. Now that was top work!!!
Old 05-18-2009, 12:45 PM
Tech Regular

You guys have way to much time on your hands!

P.S. where did you get the box's from, they both look like the same size?

Regards
Richard.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:02 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Jonny Aird
Andy was extremely quick all weekend, he used his new tyres at the perfect time (probably why he seemed lower down the order on saturday). He also set a new track record.
Actually Chris still holds the track record... he posted a 20 304.04 in the warm-up weekend, Andy managed a 20 304.16 in the third round.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.