Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Why are people getting out of nitro and going to electric? >

Why are people getting out of nitro and going to electric?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why are people getting out of nitro and going to electric?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 08:55 AM
Tech Legend

The part that really turns off most from the E conversion`s is their noisy cruchie gear`s.

Sound`s like their making ice cream or maybe smoothie`s ?

Will never consider E1/8th just for that terrible gear chatter they make....

Hope they fix...
Old 05-17-2009, 09:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
The part that really turns off most from the E conversion`s is their noisy cruchie gear`s.

Sound`s like their making ice cream or maybe smoothie`s ?

Will never consider E1/8th just for that terrible gear chatter they make....

Hope they fix...

Nitros make the same noise... crunchy gears and chassis slapping. You just can't hear it over the engine.

Many electrics are using plastic spurs which makes the car almost totally silent. My truggy sounds like a jet engine. The mesh and metal is a little different on the Losi, so it it is nearly silent. Just the high pitch whine of the motor rpms. My Xray on the other hand does sound like a broke down sherman tank with the metal to metal spur/pinion gears.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:31 AM
Tech Legend

[QUOTE=Edumakated;5822874]Nitros make the same noise... crunchy gears and chassis slapping. You just can't hear it over the engine.

Many electrics are using plastic spurs which makes the car almost totally silent. My truggy sounds like a jet engine. The mesh and metal is a little different on the Losi, so it it is nearly silent. Just the high pitch whine of the motor rpms. My Xray on the other hand does sound like a broke down sherman tank with the metal to metal spur/pinion gears.[/QUOTE

sorry , even the losi`s

Sounds like a strawberry ice cream mixer...
Old 05-17-2009, 09:41 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FG101C
I went to electric so people at the track that can't tune an engine won't ask me to help. Electric is also easier to deal with, quieter, less expensive, smoother and an overall more fun relaxing time. When I race I don't need a pitman, nor do I get asked to pit, I love that.
That's just wrong...I guess electric is where all the selfish, lazy, mean people go..You can be a meter maid, and not have any friends either
Old 05-17-2009, 11:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

How much does climate impact the growing class of Electric? I race nitro but six months out of the year (Michigan) I wish I had an elec 1/8 to go indoors with. I think by next year I'll have an elec also so I can race both seasons, cold and butt cold.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Originally Posted by Edumakated
Nitros make the same noise... crunchy gears and chassis slapping. You just can't hear it over the engine.

Many electrics are using plastic spurs which makes the car almost totally silent. My truggy sounds like a jet engine. The mesh and metal is a little different on the Losi, so it it is nearly silent. Just the high pitch whine of the motor rpms. My Xray on the other hand does sound like a broke down sherman tank with the metal to metal spur/pinion gears.

sorry , even the losi`s

Sounds like a strawberry ice cream mixer...

Your shot dude. Losi has a plastic spur gear for the 1/8th conversions. It sounds quiet.

The erc8 i drove was pretty quiet too. It actually made me buy a 1/8th sclae. Putting a nitro engine in instead cause thats the big class.

The mamba brakes sound funny though, sounds like a spaceship under braking.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RB FIVE
Your shot dude. Losi has a plastic spur gear for the 1/8th conversions. It sounds quiet.

The erc8 i drove was pretty quiet too. It actually made me buy a 1/8th sclae. Putting a nitro engine in instead cause thats the big class.

The mamba brakes sound funny though, sounds like a spaceship under braking.
You could always keep using the mechanical brakes
Old 05-17-2009, 11:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I started out with indoor electric carpet trucks this winter, then moved up to a 1/8 buggy for summer racing. Having actually driven and raced both, I can honestly say that I like them both equally, but that they've each got their places. My T4 is loads of fun on a carpet track, and for messing around at home if I just feel like running a car around for a few minutes, but I love everything about my buggy, the wrenching, the sound and smell, and the overall feeling of running a nitro car. Both classes have ups and downs; the 2 or 3 guys who ran electric 1/8 at my local track mentioned the fact that you can't set brake bias with an electric, which definitely helps, but on the other hand, they accelerate very well.

Also, I don't think the cleaning argument really applies to this debate at all...unless large brushless motors also project some kind of magic shield, dirt still gets everywhere after a race, and still requires you to take out the engine/motor and electronics and spray the whole thing down.