Share your biggest duh or what was I thinking

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Share your biggest duh or what was I thinking

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 10:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

Last one made me really laugh… I’ve done severals written in this thread, some just to laugh on it, some quite painful…. I’ll give you my last one:

Marshalling time for me….. in the hottest sun…. right after my main. I’m near an hairpin and, as usual when I’m near hairpins, when someone crashes or flips just before the turn, I recove his car and put it beyond the apex, so that driver can accelerate straight and not going to lose extra time making the turn (not so fair for someone but I like when it’s done to me).
Anyway I watched 3 consecutives cars that I recoverd to come back and make the turn…. Remembering me in a while that Transponder was across that hairpin….
Sooooo many bad words from the stand………….
Old 07-01-2010, 10:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

A couple of my biggest woes come form the result of a missed step after doing the clutch.

1. When rebuilding the clutch I usually use a piece of a paper towel to keep debris from entering the motor. Motor will not start when you have a wad of paper in the tuned pipe.

2. Way back in the day, I left the throttle linkage disconnected after doing the clutch and had a mean runaway. Too many kids around so I had limited room to try to kill the cars. I thought my thumb on the flywheel would work. It did, but holy s***T I was hurting. Amazing what a throttle return spring will do.

Also, few years ago when the low profile air filters first came out I just had to have one. I put it one then went to practice. It was a new motor, and my buddies thought it looked pretty good. So after the racing was done, I decided to let them all drive it. When the second bud came in for fuel, that new air filter came flopping out as he pulled into pit lane. Needless to say, I got about a total of a gallon on that motor.

Other mentionables are: leaving tires or radio at home when going out of town for a race

Last edited by rfleck; 07-01-2010 at 10:58 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-01-2010, 01:34 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dreaux
i fired up my engine with none of the back plate screws on

I was like "what the hell is that funny noise"? I kept trying to start it like a big dummy cause i was in a hurry to practice before my qual. When i looked down to see what the damn rattling noise was (sounded like a REALLY bad bearing), the backplate was moving in and out really really fast.

The piston skirt has a nice indention to it now as a reminder. At least it didn't break.

You never cease to amaze us Dreaux
Old 07-01-2010, 01:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

TWO WORDS.................................................. .................................................. .............

Getting married.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:55 PM
Tech Addict

I can't count how many times I've been putting the shocks back on my buggy and having to pull them back off to put the springs on them.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)

i put a little zip lock bag over my filter once to keep the dirt off it in the truck(dont ask me why i did it). Got to the track and was trying to start my car and i finally had like 3-4 people around then we finally took off the body and they started laughing at me pointing fingers. What a great way to meet new people on your first race.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:37 PM
Tech Adept

getting into this insanely addictive hobby
Old 07-01-2010, 05:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Quad Racer 34
I raced my first "big" race a couple weekends ago. Well in the 5 min practice that we got before the mains started, start my car up on pit wall, letting it warm up, hand things over to my pit man, walk to the bottom of the drivers stand to wait for the other drivers to walk off. Once I get up there I look down at my pit man to tell him to set my car down... Well I see my starter box and pit man but no car.. He had put the car down already without me being on the drivers stand. So I was blipping the throttle and revving it like crazy to get the engine cleared out during this time.. the best part was it ended up about 10 ft away from where I was standing at the bottom of the drivers stand and didn't even realize.. I felt pretty stupid
is this Randy?
Old 07-01-2010, 06:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

No, I wouldnt give out my name to anyone that ask about this situation.. it was that embarrassing hahahaha no just kidding. But no not Randy.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Changing out a blown clutchbell bearing between heats and forgot to re-tighten the cooling head to the block. It was running sluggish for the warmup laps and I decided to just "work it out". Two minutes after the start, it limped into pit lane with gas everywhere. I told my pit guy to tighten it down and I was off. I lost two laps during the whole ordeal.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by motomatt
TWO WORDS.................................................. .................................................. .............

Getting married.
LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!:lol : Ive lost a couple friends to that same thing!