Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Traxxas Nitro Sport stalling out >

Traxxas Nitro Sport stalling out

Traxxas Nitro Sport stalling out

Old 05-10-2009, 10:23 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Traxxas Nitro Sport stalling out

Hello everyone,
I'm recently getting back into this hobby...it's so freaking fun. But i have myself a problem

I get my Nitro Sport started and going but every time i give it the gas like to get the thing moving fast it will stall out. I went to a local hobby center and he told me i should just buy a new engine. The car i have is one of the old nitro sports (.15) and it was only ran like 3 tanks....now why would i need a new engine?

After a whole day at being at the hobby center he had it in every possible tuning and still nothing after you give it some gas. Now should I buy a new engine or is there maybe something I could do?

He says the piston is shot fyi
Old 05-10-2009, 10:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitro1468
Hello everyone,
I'm recently getting back into this hobby...it's so freaking fun. But i have myself a problem

I get my Nitro Sport started and going but every time i give it the gas like to get the thing moving fast it will stall out. I went to a local hobby center and he told me i should just buy a new engine. The car i have is one of the old nitro sports (.15) and it was only ran like 3 tanks....now why would i need a new engine?

After a whole day at being at the hobby center he had it in every possible tuning and still nothing after you give it some gas. Now should I buy a new engine or is there maybe something I could do?

He says the piston is shot fyi
PLEASE tell me you are still breaking in the engine. You should be at about 1/2 throttle blips at this stage (3 tanks). Alot of LHSs dont have very knowledgeable people there, so I would take their opinion with much value. I would reset to factory settings and start leaning it out until it get s to 200 degrees, 1/4 and 1/2 throttle blips for a second or 2. Also, take the engine head and backplate off to see if there is any damage. The piston/sleeve should have no damage. Is your idle stable? How is your overall performance? Try easing onto the throttle and getting it up to temp before you start tuning.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:02 AM
Tech Rookie

I would suppose im still breaking it in, but this guy was just letting the thing rip when he was getting it started then after it got hot it start cutting out.

My idle is fine and the thing is like brand new. just old.

He starts up great for being not touched for a year straight.

My experience with engines is slim to none, so if im taking this out what should i be looking for? I have the engine manual here ill take it apart and see if maybe something got inside of it and its dirty or something maybe it just needs to TLC

Last edited by nitro1468; 05-10-2009 at 11:15 AM.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:45 PM
Tech Adept

I had one of those older .15's in the nitro sport, unfortunately it only uses a high speed needle which limits the tuning. 3 tanks is still break in period, meaning light on the throttle and running it really rich to lubricate the tight new engine parts. I would turn the needle back to default setting(3turns out from closed i think) and replace the glow plug. Theres many factors involved in keeping the engine running. To be honest with you, those nitro sports were junk. For the cost of a new engine you could get a complete RTR
Old 05-10-2009, 03:14 PM
Tech Rookie

Well i pulled it apart and i did not see anything damaged.

When going to start it it required the fuel rod to be 4 1/2 turns out and not just 3.

After i put it back together i went easy on it going up and down the alley for like 5-10min with little to no gas. it ran nice. but now when i try again im getting nothing, give it some gas it goes out.

I'm thinking about trading it in and just getting a crazy 3.3 for like 110$
Old 05-10-2009, 06:52 PM
Tech Rookie

Yeah, um I am not going to be embarrassed to say this but when i was tuning it a bit more i decided to check the carburetor out and when i look where the needle went in...there was a freaking rock right inside of it.

HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN???

And I did not get to run it but im pretty sure that was the problem
Old 05-10-2009, 07:19 PM
Tech Master

Yeah, um I am not going to be embarrassed to say this but when i was tuning it a bit more i decided to check the carburetor out and when i look where the needle went in...there was a freaking rock right inside of it.

HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN???

And I did not get to run it but im pretty sure that was the problem
LOL, Never seen that happen! I thought you took the engine apart (at least looking at the carb)? There are many better engines than the TRX 3.3s.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:22 PM
Tech Rookie

yeah idk what was up with that.

But i am looking to keep this Nitro sport just put some money into it...first being a new engine.

Any suggestions where i should go or look at? and be pretty cheap but worth it.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:27 PM
Tech Master

yeah idk what was up with that.

But i am looking to keep this Nitro sport just put some money into it...first being a new engine.

Any suggestions where i should go or look at? and be pretty cheap but worth it.
Look at the OS .18 CV-RX or .18 TZ.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Get a bumpbox and a OS something, or a pull-start OS, will be tons better than the stock motor.

Need to do that myself actually.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:39 PM
Tech Rookie

Right now im seeing this one here(can't post links yet =[ )OS .18 for like 150$

Now if i get that is there anything else im going to need to make this thing a beast? I'm pretty new to these cars
Old 05-10-2009, 07:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Not really, a decent motor should be plenty, maybe some new tires, but that is about it. Plus when you switch to a non-EZ start motor you lose all of the excess weight the starter adds, which makes a huge difference.