Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
thinking back in retrospect >

thinking back in retrospect

thinking back in retrospect

Old 05-10-2009, 06:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default thinking back in retrospect

the guy that was tunning my first engine (ofna .26) owner of the hobby shop that i also bought my car and radio from (the engine was on loan from a friend) Well when i let him tune it, he back all the screws out (i guess at factory settings) and lowered it down after a couple pulls on the tirger on the starter box. Puts it on the ground and starts running it at WOT, Brings it back leans it out some more and starts observing it at WOT, at which point my connecting rod snapped in half. Thinking about it now with more knowledge, shouldn't he got my engine up to temp before running it like that??? My girfriend swears that he did it on purpose so i would buy a new engine from him (which i did). At the time i really thought it was a mistake considering that the engine was used and kinda old. Still should not matter if it was done right. I had been running it for about a week with no problems. And now that i have my new engine broken in and running, when i go to the shop to have him look at my tune, he is always "to busy". And can't find time for me. You would think that someone who has spent over 2 grand in their store could get help. Not with this jerk. I am done with him.

So does it sound like he broke my engine on purpose??? looking back it sure seems that his process was a recipe for dissaster. And a couple passes before the engine actually blew i would think someone expierenced like him could hear it comming, and i think he did but he wanted it to happen.

thoughts??
Old 05-10-2009, 08:15 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I would definately find a new engine man. Some hobby shops have racers as employees - some do not. Your LHS should strive to provide excellent service. This is what they have over the internet stores. Get back to the local track and find where the guys buy their stuff and their opinions of who at the store they trust or don't.

I doubt if the guy did it intentionally. He probably avoids you now due to embarassment. Sounds as if he just doesn't know his stuff.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

i thought it seemed strange anyway.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:22 AM
Tech Master

Doubt he broke your eng on purpose people do what you described all the time to get the tune close enough to run on the track & heat it up for a propper tune & broken rods are almost never the result.Keep in mind what you said,motor was used & you cant be sure what the OG did to it & secondly Force motors arnt known for the best quality thats why they sell for $120.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:39 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

buy online and get help from your fellow racers at the track
Old 05-10-2009, 08:27 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Jaz240
buy online and get help from your fellow racers at the track
Then you can race your car in the street when the shop closes the track. Good call...
Old 05-10-2009, 08:34 PM
Tech Initiate

Im pretty positive he didnt blow it up on purpose. Short of holding it wide open on the starter box for an extended period of time, its tough to blow one up on purpose. A motor will not warm up to operating temp idling. The shop owner is very experienced with nitro motors. I doubt you have ever seen him sitting around doing nothing, so when he says he's "too busy" its because he probably has 10 other cars waiting for service or he's busy dealing with other customers. Parts break, its a fact of life. Thats the difference between $300 motors and $100 motors. The world is not out to get you, besides god protects children and idiots...
Old 05-10-2009, 09:55 PM
Tech Master

Hey I'm 40 yrs old,,,,so that must mean,...Ahh crap!!
Old 05-10-2009, 10:00 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ryan Roma
Then you can race your car in the street when the shop closes the track. Good call...

Not all tracks have shops bud

and hardly any shops have tracks!!
Old 05-10-2009, 10:11 PM
Tech Master

Thunder Alley doesn't have a store and its been open god knows how long.
Rev has a store on hand, but they exchange no money. Don't see how not buying from the store would close the track.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

well if he too busy to help his customers who spend thousands of dollars then he must be doing pretty well and does not need the money