Tires Foam vs. Rubber you decide!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tires Foam vs. Rubber you decide!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2002, 07:42 PM
Tech Regular

Default Tires, Foam vs. Rubber you decide!

Ok this is the place for the rubber versus foam rubber discussion. Ring in with your comments on this subject. We were taking away from the Snowbirds thread with the discussion so we will resume it here.
IKE

Got Foam?

Last edited by FoamDonuts; 02-08-2002 at 10:38 PM.
Old 02-08-2002, 08:39 PM
Tech Elite

First off, let me say I have never run foam. I think if/when I do, I will think it is more fun to drive than rubber. However, although foam tires are cheaper, they can chunk, have to be trued, and don't last as long. You also have to keep checking rollout to make sure your gearing is the same, making sure all the tires are the same diameter etc. So to sum it up, rubber has less hassle, but foam is more fun.

Josh
Old 02-08-2002, 08:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Rubber or Foam, Rubber or Foam... hmmm....
Rubber-become an honorary member of the insert of the month club, but a tire with the right insert and right chassis setup lasts awhile.

Foam-don't need as many tires, but have to cut them down (buy a lathe) and hope they don't chunk.

I've used both, foam seem to even the field out, but I think overall I like rubber more. But, how about something even better? Maybe we should race hoovercrafts or something... lol
Old 02-08-2002, 08:48 PM
Tech Regular

My problem with RUbber is that you sometimes have to slide the car around the corners. And as already pointed out you have to deal with the voodoo of inserts. I dont have the issues with chunking because I dont hit stuff and I also run on carpet only so it isnt a big deal to me. When you look at the prices they are close to the same. Speedtech sells a set of 4 of everything for 35 dollars, a set of JACO foams is 16.99 a pair. I prefer to have the extra speed and stability of foam and that is why I choose them. Keep your opinions coming.
IKE
Old 02-08-2002, 10:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I prefer foam. Less hassle, less cost, more consistent performance.

I'll be promoting a foam class this season, calling it Pro-Spec. Touring cars, 19 turn spec motors, foam tires.

Hoping I can get enough interest for the local tracks to run it, maybe make a series of it with a race date at each of the local venues.

Trips
Old 02-08-2002, 10:07 PM
Tech Elite

I hardly ever slide on rubber. Speedtech's prices on rubber tires are absurdly cheap, buying from most LHS will cost you $50+

Josh
Old 02-08-2002, 10:08 PM
Tech Elite

And then there is the issue of cars. Some cars just don't work well with foams, namely cars that have a substantial ammount of flex. Virtually all cars can work on rubber.
Old 02-08-2002, 10:30 PM
Tech Regular

From past 1/8 experiance,I`ll probably swing toward foam mainly because once a compound is bought thats it. With rubber you have to choose a tire and then try to pick the right insert for it,if you choose wrong once its glued your S.O.L.
Old 02-08-2002, 10:34 PM
Tech Regular

Speedo,
Again, which is why I prefer to run very rigid cars with rigid setups so I can get the very utmost out of my chassis. i am a very firm believer in the opinion that the stiffer your car is setup and can still be fast the faster you will be. I just cant get enough of Foam Tires.
Saints, 1/8 is my long-time background so I understand what you mean, that is the reason that I have gone with foam for my elecs as well. I just like the feel and I trust my car more on foams so i go faster as a result.
IKE

Last edited by FoamDonuts; 02-08-2002 at 10:41 PM.
Old 02-08-2002, 10:51 PM
Tech Regular

Hi all, I'm pretty much a newbie so this question may seema bit elementary... But, are foams just for carpet indoors or can you run them outside on asphalt too?

Thanks,
Jits

EDIT: Nevermind, I just found out... Too cool! Foam is sounding good to me man!

Last edited by JitsuGuy; 02-08-2002 at 11:04 PM.
Old 02-08-2002, 10:56 PM
Tech Regular

Jits,
We run FOAM outside and inside. I use them on my 1/8, 1/10, on-road gas cars as well as on my TC3...(soon to be gone in favor of my new Mission) I really like the way they are hooked up and like I have said way too many times in this post hehehhehehehe I like the control.
IKE
Old 02-08-2002, 11:14 PM
Tech Regular

With foam you can usually goe to the track with 2 or 3 compounds and be ok for the season. With a rubber just do the math on the possible combinations that could be put together. If you know a regular driver a the track and trust him ,you could ask what to use. Here in the midwest a lot of outside tracks are in parking lots so between the two I`d still rather head to the race with a selection of foams.
Old 02-08-2002, 11:39 PM
Tech Regular

Default Speedtech

Just a question. Who is this Speedtech mentioned in this thread? Are they an online shop? Do they have a website? Thanks
Old 02-08-2002, 11:44 PM
Tech Adept

yea Speedtech
Old 02-08-2002, 11:45 PM
Tech Regular

hey Saints,
I dont know if I will get in trouble for this or not. Steve Wang is the owner of www.speedtechrc.com he sells a ton of different kit and parts for TC both gas and elec. I try and buy my kits from my LHS and everything else from Steve. He has special Tire Combos and you can get the best deals there. His sorex deal is the one I was referring to. You can get 4 wheels, 4 sorex tires and 4 yok inserts. Hope this helps
IKE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.