Like Tree195Likes

Novarossi engines thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2004, 05:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Re: NS12S5 vs JPS5

Originally posted by Project D
Guys, gotta ask this... Which 1 is better?, the NS12S5 or JPS5... Both in 2nd hand condition but the NS12S5 is slightly better condition...
well i would recommend the NS12S5 if its better condition than the JP 5 port. but it also depends how much they would cost you each. If they will cost you both the same get NS12S5. JP is the better engine but if the NS12S5 is in better condition it will last you more longer than the JP engine. but really you shouldnt buy 2nd hand engines. Try www.rc-mushrooms.com
hope that helps.
Old 11-13-2004, 08:20 PM
Tech Champion

don know where's the Nova max thread already...so i just wanna ask here....

i have the P5 Nova Max MF and its already on its 1 year usage. i wanna replace something before any disasterous thing happen. ok...since parts hard to find...can the TOP engine p/s be used? what about the conrod? can any of the TOP parts/or NSR be used on my Max???
thanks guys. or gals
Old 11-13-2004, 10:30 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by jfc_tech
don know where's the Nova max thread already...so i just wanna ask here....
http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...threadid=29514

i have the P5 Nova Max MF and its already on its 1 year usage. i wanna replace something before any disasterous thing happen. ok...since parts hard to find...can the TOP engine p/s be used? what about the conrod? can any of the TOP parts/or NSR be used on my Max???
thanks guys. or gals
You should replace the conrod if you haven't ! The TOP one should be the same.

You could also use the TOP piston sleeve.

But before that, you should do the following below to check if your piston sleeve needs to be changed.

1. Take out the glow plug and turn the flywheel. If there is resistance, then the engine is maybe OK. If there is no resistance, don't panic. Either case, go to step 2.

2. Put the glow plug in and tighten it. Put a few drops of after run oil in the exhaust outlet of the engine when you could see the piston covering the whole exhaust port. Try to crank the piston to the top and see if there are any bubbles escaping from the side of the piston sleeve when the piston goes to the top. Should not have any bubbles. Bubbles indicate that the sealing is no good.

You should also check the conrod bushing and the engine bearings. Take out the engine backplate. Try to crank the engine upwards with the plug. There should be VERY minimal play (if at all) in the conrod to crankshaft bushing pin. The whole crankshaft should not move up and down as though the main bearing is loose when you try to crank the piston upwards. That's when the bearings are really worned out.

Another way to check the bearings is to leave the crankshaft in the engine alone with the bearings in and without the conrod connected and try to spin the crankshaft. The bearings should not feel rough or loose.
Old 11-23-2004, 01:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

i've noticed that my nsr3 performs best at the 240-260f range, running with 30 nitro, compared to my mt12 that ran at 220f. weather is about 80-90, is it common?
Old 11-23-2004, 05:46 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Seisick
i've noticed that my nsr3 performs best at the 240-260f range, running with 30 nitro, compared to my mt12 that ran at 220f. weather is about 80-90, is it common?
Yes, the NSR engines with the microcast piston tends to like and perform better at hotter temps.

But if it was me, I personally do not like to run it that hot. Sad because once the engine flames out, it's very difficult to get it to start again. Because the carb is aluminum, it gets overheated easily too and fuel never wants to go in until the carb cools down...
Old 11-23-2004, 06:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally posted by InitialD
Yes, the NSR engines with the microcast piston tends to like and perform better at hotter temps.

But if it was me, I personally do not like to run it that hot. Sad because once the engine flames out, it's very difficult to get it to start again. Because the carb is aluminum, it gets overheated easily too and fuel never wants to go in until the carb cools down...
I've had this problem in the past also- not re-starting on a flame out when hot (260+). I was using Trinity Monster 20%.

I made the switch to O'Donell and it has not happened to me since. I'll never use Trinity again. I had to fatten the needles considerably when I switched to O'Donnell.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:33 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by cdelong
I made the switch to O'Donell and it has not happened to me since. I'll never use Trinity again. I had to fatten the needles considerably when I switched to O'Donnell.
What temps are you getting now with O'Donnell after correct tuning?
Old 11-23-2004, 07:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

same temps (260 ish)- just had to open the needles a hair to maintain the same temps. more importantly- easy restarts when it's hot.

i don't care to push much above 260. i run on a small PLR track and don't need all the power i have even at 260.
Old 11-26-2004, 05:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

need new piston sleeve set for my mugen nova mt12, on ebay theres one rb set with part number 1700-030, will it fit my reliable mt 12?
Old 11-26-2004, 11:25 PM
Tech Addict

Need some information for novarossi engine. Thanx in advance .

I have a RR12L5 that i need to install in a car. Problem is I can't use the SG shaft and so therefore I need to swap out the crank for a standard crank. The RR12L5 is a long stroke compared to the traditional short or square strokes for small blocks, so I'm wondering if the standard cranks from other small block Novas would fit it?
Old 11-27-2004, 02:08 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by icon
Need some information for novarossi engine. Thanx in advance .

I have a RR12L5 that i need to install in a car. Problem is I can't use the SG shaft and so therefore I need to swap out the crank for a standard crank. The RR12L5 is a long stroke compared to the traditional short or square strokes for small blocks, so I'm wondering if the standard cranks from other small block Novas would fit it?
NO
Old 11-27-2004, 05:56 AM
afm
Tech Master

Originally posted by Seisick
need new piston sleeve set for my mugen nova mt12, on ebay theres one rb set with part number 1700-030, will it fit my reliable mt 12?
you can get all parts for your MT12 here:

http://acehardwarehobbies.com/2.2/ca...p?cPath=1_6_23

AFM
Old 11-28-2004, 07:02 PM
Tech Champion

where can i get this IDM porting style info...or whatever it is

some tuner do this, right...man im newbie ere.
Old 11-28-2004, 07:09 PM
Tech Prophet

where can i get this IDM porting style info...or whatever it is
JFC, the newer 3 port NSR Novarossi sleeves come with the IDM style type of porting with "fangs". The 5 port Novarossi ones are just normal sleeves without the "fangs".
Old 11-28-2004, 07:19 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by InitialD
JFC, the newer 3 port NSR Novarossi sleeves come with the IDM style type of porting with "fangs". The 5 port Novarossi ones are just normal sleeves without the "fangs".
any advantage over the other design...& why not in the 5 ports? or becoz its already in the 5 ports designs & doesnt required the fangs style....any picture of this fangs...& what IDM stand for...

pheww lot of Qs...soli ah.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.