STS engines

Old 07-20-2004, 08:26 AM
Nitro Tech

Default Re: nitro content?

Originally posted by noobatron
Hey guys,

i'm currently running 16% nitro on my D5 atm. Would it rev faster if i put the copper shim back and run 30% nitro?
With correct tuning it should rev faster.
Old 07-24-2004, 12:24 AM
Tech Adept

Default STS carb

Hi dino,

I was using a RB carb before and have decided to swap back to the STS carb. I havn't used the carb ever and noticed that the mid speed needle is not flush to the carb, it looks like half a turn out(.05mm) from the carb. Is this right? Should i adjust it to be flush with the carb or is this the factory setting?

Thanx
Old 07-24-2004, 08:48 AM
Nitro Tech

Default Re: STS carb

Hi dino,

I was using a RB carb before and have decided to swap back to the STS carb. I havn't used the carb ever and noticed that the mid speed needle is not flush to the carb, it looks like half a turn out(.05mm) from the carb. Is this right? Should i adjust it to be flush with the carb or is this the factory setting?

Thanx
Yes,adjust it to be flash with the carb.
Old 07-24-2004, 11:40 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)
Default Re: STS carb

Hi dino,

Thanx
Why did you change it did you like the rb carb beter ??
Old 07-24-2004, 07:29 PM
Tech Adept

Default Re: Re: STS carb

Originally posted by dino.tw
Yes,adjust it to be flash with the carb.
THanx for the reply Dino, I've yet to try it though.
Old 07-24-2004, 07:31 PM
Tech Adept

Default Re: Re: STS carb

Originally posted by 20 SMOKE
Why did you change it did you like the rb carb beter ??
Hi smoke. Before breaking into the engine i inspected all the parts and found that the high speed needle in the D5 Carb to be abit gritty and would sometimes get stuck, or not close fully. So i used the RB carb which is still 6.5mm like the D5. However, i wanted to see any performance difference bw the 2 so i'm going to try the D5.

any tips?
Old 07-27-2004, 04:31 PM
Tech Master

Default STS D21B

Bout time dino you got this baby its own webpage ( http://www.stsrc.com.tw/engines/D21B.php )

Old 07-27-2004, 07:16 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

I need another .12 so i have two and then start with off road that way there i have a fleet of cars. Hey Dino think you could make one for a Mini T
Old 07-27-2004, 08:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Parts IN!!!!!

hey all i just recieved my D3R p/s set and installed them in the D3 case, just need to break-in the engine; once i find the time. Hey does anyone remeber the stock settings for the D3(D3R)? is it 4-HSN and LSN-flush with carb body and the mid-needle flush?

But yeah I am stoked!!!!

~Jason
Old 07-27-2004, 09:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Hope you have better luck with yours than I have with mine.

I can't get the engine to run properly without seeing temps in the 230(idle) - 270F(after running) range. If I go to a cooler setting it is way to rich to rev out and usually stalls after idling for 3 secs when the throttle is opened.

I've tried the factory settings (LSN 4 turns out, Mid fulsh and HSN 4 turns out) but these are too rich for the motor to rev and it idles at 230F. I have tried all manner of needle settings but it's not happening for me. I pulled the carb to pieces, replaced one damaged o ring, sealed every part of the carb I could and still it seems like it has an air leak at idle.

I didn't have this trouble with either my Force 15 or the Picco Omega XT I was running before, although these were both rotary carbs.

I bought a couple of second hand motors and these are going to have to do since this STS motor is very unfriendly. I want to race, not spend frustrating days dicking around with the settings that I can never get right.

I wouldn't even want to sell this motor to someone else as I couldn't handle selling someone a dud.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:18 PM
Tech Master

*opens arms wide wide open*
I wouldn't mine giving it a go, with the option you take it back if you want it... ?! <grin> (Yeah im in OZ)
Old 07-27-2004, 09:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally posted by Z00M
Hope you have better luck with yours than I have with mine.

I can't get the engine to run properly without seeing temps in the 230(idle) - 270F(after running) range. If I go to a cooler setting it is way to rich to rev out and usually stalls after idling for 3 secs when the throttle is opened.

I've tried the factory settings (LSN 4 turns out, Mid fulsh and HSN 4 turns out) but these are too rich for the motor to rev and it idles at 230F. I have tried all manner of needle settings but it's not happening for me. I pulled the carb to pieces, replaced one damaged o ring, sealed every part of the carb I could and still it seems like it has an air leak at idle.

I didn't have this trouble with either my Force 15 or the Picco Omega XT I was running before, although these were both rotary carbs.

I bought a couple of second hand motors and these are going to have to do since this STS motor is very unfriendly. I want to race, not spend frustrating days dicking around with the settings that I can never get right.

I wouldn't even want to sell this motor to someone else as I couldn't handle selling someone a dud.

Zoom

Try add extra head shims and run #7 plug for start, you should see the different.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:33 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by tl2111
Zoom

Try add extra head shims and run #7 plug for start, you should see the different.
Thanks Tommy, I'll try that, but I would have thought that increasing the combustion chamber size would have made it even richer, but it's the only thing I haven't tried. I spoke with Dino yesterday and he said using only the aluminium shim (copper shims removed) with 16% nitro and a Novarossi #5 plug should have been fine.

I'll throw the shims back in it and see what the deal is. I've got an RB #7 plug there so I'll see what happens.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:54 PM
Nitro Tech

Originally posted by Z00M
Thanks Tommy, I'll try that, but I would have thought that increasing the combustion chamber size would have made it even richer, but it's the only thing I haven't tried. I spoke with Dino yesterday and he said using only the aluminium shim (copper shims removed) with 16% nitro and a Novarossi #5 plug should have been fine.

I'll throw the shims back in it and see what the deal is. I've got an RB #7 plug there so I'll see what happens.
ZOOM,

You still use the smaller cooler head? 9 fins one?
Old 07-27-2004, 09:57 PM
Tech Master

I use whatever head came with the RS5 as standard, as this is an RS5 converted to a D3.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.