STS engines

Old 05-25-2007, 09:03 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Artificial-I
Goto racernine.com you can see they have dropped it. Im sure more are soon to follow....
R9 and the other sts guy left because its become a big hassle for them and depending on who you buy from, we'll warranty it.

There are still a few of us dealers around.

For those of you who do not know, the MKII was redesigned to Rick Brake's specs. His drivers love it, plenty of power whenever they need it.

Oh and btw, i'm one of R9's ex-drivers.

For those of you who loved the D28M... there is a new engine soon to be sold! Its a 5 port .28, race inspired

Last edited by Kemorc; 05-25-2007 at 09:17 PM.
Old 05-26-2007, 02:20 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kemorc
R9 and the other sts guy left because its become a big hassle for them and depending on who you buy from, we'll warranty it.

There are still a few of us dealers around.

For those of you who do not know, the MKII was redesigned to Rick Brake's specs. His drivers love it, plenty of power whenever they need it.

Oh and btw, i'm one of R9's ex-drivers.

For those of you who loved the D28M... there is a new engine soon to be sold! Its a 5 port .28, race inspired
Nice to know an ex driver of R9 come out here to clarify the things about sts products. I have the Dragon D12, D21, D28 and coming the D30M and of coz will get the D21 MKII too. So far been racing and bashing hard and still in its original crank. I still could not believe all this complain. Unless, dino of taiwan come up here and tell me otherwise, i sill gonna use sts to beat other expensive motor. That i will do when i have the chance. I usually dnf becoz my truggy but not becoz of the engine. Of course, you cannot expect a F1 Minardi car to be as durable as the ferrari... thats absurd. but in this case, sts can beat other expensive engine and still going. u can buy 2 to 3 sts engines and beat the hell of the other expensive engine.. thats for sure. Even when it broke, the other engine broke too. Would you rather broke your sts or your other expensive one? which one u cry more?
just my 3 cents there. after all, this is a sts thread. Peace to all sts users
Old 05-26-2007, 11:25 AM
Tech Adept

I would like these WARRANTY issues put to rest.

For support:
Ph: (479) 200-0286

M-F 9am-2pm Central

Tech support provided by our engine expert Rick Brake of RBmods.net

Rick Brake will take care of you.
Old 05-26-2007, 01:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I personaly own quite a fews STS motors.. I personaly have blown 3 STS 30 cranks .. But my motors are modded and likely modded beyond what other modders do to these motors... So failure is to be expected.

But i know quite a few people who's stock STS motors have blown.. the .21 T's are the worst for this, either the crank pin snaps or the area supporting the pin breaks off.. One customer has had 3 consecutive .21T's fail the same way... its frustrating when these guys spend 1.5 gallons breaking in to get the motor to perform, only to have the motor fail within 1/2 gallon... Another issue is the O-rings ont he carbs, all these dam motors have mis sized o-rings and the needles leak and wander like crazy.... As well every motor withthe stupid brass throttle pull, which has the wrong sized grub screw.... Also motor to moto the pinch is very inconsistant, one motor is on the loose side, the other motor is brutaly tight. Some of the motors are soo tight, the dam things barely make it thrit break in before giving up the ghost....

I am a fan of these mills, but lately the STS QC has been horendous...I wish they would maybe charge a little bit more and take more care in putting these things together.... They know these motors have improper O-rings and faulty throttle pulls, yet they keep on pumping them out...
Old 05-26-2007, 01:12 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by jfc_tech
Nice to know an ex driver of R9 come out here to clarify the things about sts products. I have the Dragon D12, D21, D28 and coming the D30M and of coz will get the D21 MKII too. So far been racing and bashing hard and still in its original crank. I still could not believe all this complain. Unless, dino of taiwan come up here and tell me otherwise, i sill gonna use sts to beat other expensive motor. That i will do when i have the chance. I usually dnf becoz my truggy but not becoz of the engine. Of course, you cannot expect a F1 Minardi car to be as durable as the ferrari... thats absurd. but in this case, sts can beat other expensive engine and still going. u can buy 2 to 3 sts engines and beat the hell of the other expensive engine.. thats for sure. Even when it broke, the other engine broke too. Would you rather broke your sts or your other expensive one? which one u cry more?
just my 3 cents there. after all, this is a sts thread. Peace to all sts users

see STS has zero consistancy, one week the crank is cut one way, the next week they got some new cutting on them... some the cranks are good, others are junk.... I am a fan of these mills, but i have to face the truth that these motors have serious flaws and very poor QC
Old 05-26-2007, 01:56 PM
Tech Adept

i just got a couple in from sts.

Clean as a whistle and no metal shavings but then again, those are .28's
Old 05-26-2007, 02:05 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Kemorc
i just got a couple in from sts.

Clean as a whistle and no metal shavings but then again, those are .28's
i love these engines, but i get frustrated when i keep seeing the same issue batch after batch.. I am also seeing a tendancy for alot of aluminum debris caught int he piston rings.. if STS can take a little more care in the final assembly they would be much better engines.... I mean how had is it to properly size O-rings ? and how hard is it to install a throttle pull with a properly sized grub screw ?
Old 05-26-2007, 02:15 PM
Tech Adept

I know exactly where you are comin from.

We've been tryin to get STS to improve flaws here and there. Heck, Rick Brake has been helping them out as much as possible. His personal opinion is that they are only 2nd in quality to novarossi.

Heck, he's the reason that the d21T was revised to the MKII. Its pretty much redesigned to his specs.

I'm aware of some of the problems being posted, but myself haven't encountered it yet.

Some of you dono that STS has a new mill coming out, I think you'll be fans of it. its a 5 port .28
Old 05-27-2007, 12:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

ok i have 1 question is the 403 a torquey pipe while the 702 isn't or is it reversed? i wanna know because i notice the 403 gives tons of low end due to it's long base but top doesn't seem to be there...i am gonna gear it up..but just wanted to know the differences in the pipes?
Old 05-27-2007, 08:44 AM
Tech Adept

what do you have the pipe on? .21 engines or the monster truck mills? The overall performance is best on the 0403.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:47 PM
Tech Elite

it's a .21 on my jammin buggy however i'll be switching it over to my truggy
Old 05-28-2007, 10:40 AM
Tech Adept

If you are switching to your truggy, you are going to want the torque to get it moving quicker.

When STS designed the exhausts, the 0403 was to be best overall pipe for the .21's and the 0702 to be the best overall pipe for the .28's and .30.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:49 AM
Tech Elite

ok just checkin...so 403 it is...thanks
Old 05-28-2007, 10:55 AM
Tech Adept

what exhaust do you currently have? or are you shopping for one?
Old 08-21-2007, 01:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

My D2R recently getting syptom of random stall in the middle of run, does it mean a ewn engine or my tuning issue, I have prety of power from it but just stall easily

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.