Community
Wiki Posts
Search

hpi rs4 take off problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 09:47 PM
Tech Rookie

Default hpi rs4 take off problem

Hey guys im new to the forums and new to nitro cars. Two days ago i traded my ps3 for a 2 week old HPI RS4 RTR3 evo+ and it was in mint codition. I had trouble adjusting the carb a friend finnaly helped me today. I got it runing and it started raining, so i decided to go to my friends underground garadge. I started it back up and started playing around for the 1st time. I was taking it easy, i have driven my friends tamiya many times but this felt much faster. So after about 5 mins of taking it easy i lined it up on a nice big straight and let it fly. By the time i reached the other end i tryed braking but the car was not responding at all and it turned to the side and smacked real nice against the wall. When i got there the devestation was everywhere my steering control arm was broken and lower control arm had poped out. So i glued it back together with some heavy duty apoxy waited to dry only to discover that when i started it and gave it gas it didnt go anywhere and it made this grinding sound and then stoped. I took a look at it and saw that one of the gears in the trany was grinded down a bit. There is no chassis damedge that i see all screws are tight and everything looks good. So im sitting here confuzed with a broken rc that i only had fun with for 5 mins I like this hobby its preaty cool but im on a low budget right now and i really want to keep racing, anyways do you guys have any suggestions what i should do? or how i can fix this. Thanks for your time
Old 05-01-2009, 06:08 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

man that could be so many different things u should really find some time get the manual and take it completly apart u will be amazed at what u cant see with the car together it could be a blown diff gear or the spur gear you said was ground down a bit could be the problem but the only way to really find out is a total tear down witch i would recomend anyway just cause HPI doesnt really build there cars very well at the factory and no tellin what your buddy has ever done to it. sorry for the rant but if u want to keep it runnin as good as it can u need to get comfortable takin it apart all those little parts can only handle hiting a wall at 50 mph so many times
Old 05-01-2009, 10:32 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for ur quck reply and yea i just gathered some balls and took this thing apart. From what i can tell the spur gear for 1st is allmost completely grounded down and 2nd is a bit ruff. Thanks for brining my attention to the diffs if they spin freely turning the tires they should be ok? Anyway ill be on the way to the hobby shop so i cant catch some of this beautyful day once again thanks bud
Old 05-01-2009, 08:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

hey np man as far as the diffs go they should spin free if all tires r off the ground or on the ground and all moving in the same direction but if u pick the car up and hold one wheel and try to spin the other there should be some resistance im not real sure what type of diffs r in that car but there r ways to adjust them you definatly need a manual u should be able to download one from hpiracing.com