Thunder Tiger Tomahawk St Thoughts?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thunder Tiger Tomahawk St Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 03:14 AM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? Thunder Tiger Tomahawk St Thoughts?

Hello all as this is my first post to the site. I've have been an avid r'c enthusiasts for many years now but have only dabbled in the world of electric 1/10 Truck/Buggy. I recently was at my local hobby store and got into a conversation with the gent about getting into the world of Nitro. He mentioned that for the price of the Thunder Tiger Tomahawk it would suffice as a great intro kit. So what I'm asking of you all is, has anyone actually own and/or used the Tomahawk Truggy? I was hoping for some pro/cons on the vehicle before I jumped ahead of myself and made the purchase. It is listed at his place for $299 out the door with tax which includes everything you need to run except the electronics if I am not mistaken. he told me that he would guide me through the break in process as well as tune the truggy for me once the break in was complete. It this offer worth investing in? This would be my first 4WD vehicle as well as my first nitro. I current have the RC10 T4 factory truck as well as the RC10 B4 buggy. I am running the Novak 5.5 Brushless in my truck currently with the GTB ESC. I have an LRP 7.1 ESC in the buggy with an 9 turn brushed in it. Cannot think of the manufacturer of the 9 turn off the top of my head. So long winded enough, any help work kick ass. Thanks all and I cannot wait for you responses.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:08 AM
Tech Initiate

i own one and personally think it is a good car although it is plastic and u will be replacing parts a fair bit. other than that it is a great truggy
Old 12-18-2009, 01:57 PM
Tech Addict

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Tomahawk a 1/10 scale? If so, it wouldn't be a good racer if that's what you're looking to do.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

it is a tenth scale. I think its aimed to compete with the losi ten-t. IMOP i would rather get the Ten-T. but it will cost more, but as a trade off you get more to.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:42 PM
Tech Initiate

yes ure correct . it is 1/10 scale and isnt a very good race truggy but if ure just looking to bash then go for it
Old 12-18-2009, 03:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

amain hobbies has the Thunder Tiger Tomahawk St for 200.00
look around for a good price tho.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:08 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The vast majority of nitro racing is 1/8 scale. And while there are cars near that $300 price point, STAY AWAY!

You already have a decent radio, correct? Do you have a spare receiver? (Or maybe plan to swap them back and forth?) If so, here is what you will need:

Truggy:

$329.99 for the Hot Bodies D8T is as cheap as it gets. You can spend $700 on a Losi... but lets stick to the low end.

Servos: Figure $120 x 2. If you go cheap on this, you'll spend more in the long run. Hitec 7955, or equivilant.

Engine: Plan on spending $150-300.

Pipe: $55 and up.

Starter Box: $70+

Batteries, chargers, etc add another $100.

That's IF you have a radio.

You can go buy the Losi 8ight-T 2.0 RTR for $799, it includes a starter box and a great radio. Still need a better steering servo though, so add $120...
Old 12-18-2009, 04:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

the HB D8T is a great truggy my buddy drives one and spanks all the higher end (PRICED) cars all the time and his is bone stock.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:26 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Domit
your post is good for thought on what to spend with out going over board.
some other ideas pop into my head.
Fishpro619 I dont think was going to race.
Kyosho has a truggy for 399.00 that would be a good starter truggy. has a pull starter. no need for the starter box.

your list of item for the Hot Bodies D8T is as cheap as it gets.
we can save some money there tho.
no stater box. -70.00
i dont think a person needs to spend 240.00 on servos. there is some good ones with 100 ozs of tourq for a lot less.
mabey a used pipe to save some money.
no need to scare a person out of the hobby before they get into it with over cost before they get a feel for the hobby.
just some thoughts here
scott
Old 12-19-2009, 03:41 AM
Tech Initiate

i got mine for 430 is dat good or did i get ripped offf