Wiki Posts
Search

werks clutch HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 05:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (97%+)
Default werks clutch HELP!!!!

OK Im pretty new to nitro and i have a works clutch wondering if any body can help me with how to set it up??
i have black shoes white shoes and silver spring and a brass spring
i run on a track with 2 100 foot straightaway and a couple little tite spots and the dirt i sticky when its wet but dusty when its dry

oh and Ill be running a p5x .21 novarossi thanks to 'jr3gone8
i would be very greatful if some people could help me out!
dont know if the pipe metters but it will be a jp-1
Old 04-25-2009, 06:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mamba4life
OK Im pretty new to nitro and i have a works clutch wondering if any body can help me with how to set it up??
i have black shoes white shoes and silver spring and a brass spring
i run on a track with 2 100 foot straightaway and a couple little tite spots and the dirt i sticky when its wet but dusty when its dry

oh and Ill be running a p5x .21 novarossi thanks to 'jr3gone8
i would be very greatful if some people could help me out!
dont know if the pipe metters but it will be a jp-1

I ran a couple werks clutches in my losis last spring. some work ok and some dont, they can be difficult. I got one to work in my truggy, but not so good in buggy. I would assemble as manual reads(unless you dont have manual?)

I would just go outside with all tools necessary to dis&re assemble and try any variation possible. im not sure on exact stock mugen clutch set up but would say you might be better off to go for one of those. you never know, you might get lucky and the werks clutch will work fine for you.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:25 PM
Tech Master

black shoes are composite&white are rulon. I was told to use brass springs and thats what i tried in both bug&truggy
Old 04-25-2009, 06:34 PM
Tech Master

you got it dude no book
Old 04-25-2009, 08:12 PM
Tech Master

Id go 4 composites and the brass spring and see what happens. just tighten the inner werks nut as much as possible(its supposed to have different levels of tightness to create different clutch performance, I found all the way tight to be the only possible way). and on the outer mugen clutch nut be sure to use threadlock. using all this properly while testing different clutch settings was the pain but can be done. let me know how it goes. if you get it the way you like it you should be ok for a couple gallons. werks clutches are either you hate them or like them.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:19 PM
Tech Master

so your saying tite'n the spring nut down tite?\
think someone would trade me a new werks set up for a new
mugen?
Old 04-25-2009, 08:19 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 8&stuff
black shoes are composite&white are rulon. I was told to use brass springs and thats what i tried in both bug&truggy

White shoes are Teflon, Red are Rulon.

When I used the werks clutch I ran two black, two red, silver spring and tightened it until 2 threads show. Since you don't have Red shoes i'd run all black. I was pretty happy with the werks setup.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:21 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by teabag

When I used the werks clutch I ran two black, two red, silver spring and tightened it until 2 threads show. Since you don't have Red shoes i'd run all black. I was pretty happy with the werks setup.
wow so mixin it up is ok i was wondering about that cool dude thanks
Old 04-25-2009, 08:22 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mamba4life
so your saying tite'n the spring nut down tite?
yes. when i tightened the inner spring nut i always tightened until it would turn no more. it always came off easier than going on
Old 04-25-2009, 08:23 PM
Tech Master

s0 teflon is suposed to slip more??&on a sticky track i want less slip ? and the opasit on a dusty?>
sorry i cant spell
Old 04-25-2009, 08:32 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by teabag

yes you are correct. its been a while lol.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:51 PM
Tech Master

Cool dude's! thanks
Old 04-25-2009, 10:32 PM
Tech Master

Werks clutch is simple if you run on US out door tracks. if you run a good top end pipe on a P-5 motor use 2 carbon(black) & 2 teflon(white)shoes & gold spring with 3 threads showing.If you run a P5 motor with a good low-mid(JP-1) pipe use 4 carbon(black)shoes & gold spring with 3 threads showing.I usually grind off 2-3 threads off clutch nut to start with for clutch bell spacing & setup as above. Used red locktite on clutch nut & on spring adjust nut wether you have o-ringed nut or not,I usually remove o-ring as its not up to it's intended design. Red locktite will stay goey & not be hard to remove due to heat involved.I clean & oil clutch bearings about every 1/2 gallon & bearings($1 bearings) last a min of 3 gal.If you choose to not maint clutch bearings then expect about 1 gal max before odd problems arise. If your getting less than 5 gal from shoes then your're doing something wrong.I also use Ofna 3 hole vented CB exclusivly. Never start a Werks clutch with a C.B. that was used on a alum clutch before,always start with a new C.B. & they will effectively last forever. With my setup On jump style tracks I will see as much as 5 gal on bearings & 10 gal on shoes & C.B's last 20+ gal.I have 5 + Werks clutches & been using them for 3+ years total to the best of my recolection.They are the best RC investment you can make.Look for the Werks fuel thread also.! I have experimented with rulon(red)shoes & dont use them any more,too much bite too early,like right now bite locked solid as soon as they touch C.B.,Their said to have more wear but not realy cuz they dont slip at all.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:11 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by butch man
Werks clutch is simple if you run on US out door tracks. if you run a good top end pipe on a P-5 motor use 2 carbon(black) & 2 teflon(white)shoes & gold spring with 3 threads showing.If you run a P5 motor with a good low-mid(JP-1) pipe use 4 carbon(black)shoes & gold spring with 3 threads showing.I usually grind off 2-3 threads off clutch nut to start with for clutch bell spacing & setup as above. Used red locktite on clutch nut & on spring adjust nut wether you have o-ringed nut or not,I usually remove o-ring as its not up to it's intended design. Red locktite will stay goey & not be hard to remove due to heat involved.I clean & oil clutch bearings about every 1/2 gallon & bearings($1 bearings) last a min of 3 gal.If you choose to not maint clutch bearings then expect about 1 gal max before odd problems arise. If your getting less than 5 gal from shoes then your're doing something wrong.I also use Ofna 3 hole vented CB exclusivly. Never start a Werks clutch with a C.B. that was used on a alum clutch before,always start with a new C.B. & they will effectively last forever. With my setup On jump style tracks I will see as much as 5 gal on bearings & 10 gal on shoes & C.B's last 20+ gal.I have 5 + Werks clutches & been using them for 3+ years total to the best of my recolection.They are the best RC investment you can make.Look for the Werks fuel thread also.! I have experimented with rulon(red)shoes & dont use them any more,too much bite too early,like right now bite locked solid as soon as they touch C.B.,Their said to have more wear but not realy cuz they dont slip at all.
awsome dude thanks!!
Old 04-26-2009, 07:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Butch Man pretty much nailed it. I run the Werks clutches and have for some time. I find 2 threads showing with the brass spring works better for me on the tracks I run on. Gives a little earlier engagement. I also like the Rulon shoes. They do grab very well. You have to set them up loose, atleast 3 threads or go with the black spring and 1-2 threads. They will slip alot when cold, but they heat up fast and are very consistent once up to temp. A lot of people I've talked to say they didn't like the Werks clutch because they couldn't get it to work right. Start with settings close to these and as Butch Man mentioned and you'll have it figured out in no time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.