Serpent 721 new 1/10 touring

Old 06-04-2009, 11:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

this photo true !
Old 06-04-2009, 01:35 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Julius
Yes, detail like moving the battery to the side helps drop down the tank as low as possible which not only lowers cg, but helps keep the cg at a more constant height during fuel use.
Well thats what i was wondering, with a non-center fual tank, won't you notice the difference in belance when the tank gets more empty/full.. Your saying keeping it as low as possble will solve that issue? If so, why put the transponder under it?
Old 06-04-2009, 01:57 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

there the pics are gone? i cant see them
Old 06-04-2009, 02:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

It's a original design, but now you lost a lot of weight which is normally right in the centre of the car.
I guess you must run i lipo in the car otherwise you have too much weight which is completely of the centre line of the car.
The modern lipo battery's are small enough to fit underneath the tank, even in the 7xx configuration.

But off course it's better then the same old again like most manufactures are doing.

Hope to see a lot more serpents back to the track because currently it's just plain boring with all the xray's.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DS Motorsport
It's a original design, but now you lost a lot of weight which is normally right in the centre of the car.
I guess you must run i lipo in the car otherwise you have too much weight which is completely of the centre line of the car.
The modern lipo battery's are small enough to fit underneath the tank, even in the 7xx configuration.

But off course it's better then the same old again like most manufactures are doing.

Hope to see a lot more serpents back to the track because currently it's just plain boring with all the xray's.
You cant think like that. The weight of the gas tank is a variable. It changes when its full and when its empty. The weight of the battery will be the same, full or empty, thus the way they re-arranged the tray components with the rest of the car will make it more balanced.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

With the layout of the new car there will really be no need for a lipo. Now you don't have to deal with the aaa packs anymore. Salven wouldn't design a off balanced car to much time and effort on his baby 766 lol I hope.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

You don't get what i mean. To get a car to quickly react on steering inputs you want everything as close to the centre as possible.
The larger the distance a component is removed from the centreline, the larger the force it creates when the car roll's, which results in more chassis roll.
The instant roll is set by the distance between the rollcentre and CoG, but when the car is already rolling the various forces created by the rolling moment come in to play and the amount of force working against them (springs and ARB).

With the configuration as in the 7xx you will get a more balanced feel between left and right corners because the reaction forces in cornering will be around the same.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:48 PM
Tech Regular

here is jiles on the track. Reported he was quite happy with the performance. And they spoke about changing oils in the diff was difficult because they dont have seals made for it yet. Instead used sealant!!!?? And we await DJ to post about his experience seeing the car today!

Old 06-05-2009, 03:29 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by _cyclops_
Well thats what i was wondering, with a non-center fual tank, won't you notice the difference in belance when the tank gets more empty/full.. Your saying keeping it as low as possble will solve that issue? If so, why put the transponder under it?
Actually the tank is in the center of the car. Just the cutouts on the underside suggest it is offset. The lower part of the tank is shaped in such a way the fuel is very close to center even when the tank is almost empty. The transponder can go under the tank because there is a cutout in the chassis, and you must have the sump (where the pickup sits) lower than the main bod of the tank anyhow. The small amount of room left was just enough to put the transponder in.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:33 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DS Motorsport

No need for lipo as the left/right weight distribution is good with the standard type battery in this position.
This setup may suggest the polar moment of inertia (defined by how far each part of the car is from the cg multiplied by it's weight is higher than when the battery is under the tank.
However if you take into account that the battery only moves about 20mm and most parts like the engine drivetrain and especially wheels (they have a huge influence on polar moment which is why the lightweight wheels are an advantage) the difference is minimal. And more than compensated by the lower cg.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:00 AM
Tech Elite

Here are a few pix of the new Serpent. taken with zoom, so not too much to see (at least for an old, blind guy like me)

http://www.united-racing-team.de/bum...tag/index.html
Old 06-05-2009, 10:03 AM
Tech Elite

Very nice spy shots. The car seems just like the CAD from last month.Seems like the car will really be the #1 contender. Wow that front diff looks tiny. Cool
Old 06-05-2009, 10:54 AM
Tech Regular

great shots! Im trying to figure out what wheels are those?
Old 06-05-2009, 11:06 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by spurgear
great shots! Im trying to figure out what wheels are those?
Those are XRay rims. And the black rims are actually the serpent pro-lite rim in white which got very dirty and look black.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:08 AM
Tech Apprentice

For me look loke Orcan wheels...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.