Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree65Likes

TC3 Forum

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2002, 12:22 PM
Tech Regular

Modena AL > Please let us know of the result, once you get the part.
I thought about buying one but others say they are heavier and won't last that long.
Old 02-06-2002, 12:37 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by rcruv
Modena AL > Please let us know of the result, once you get the part.
I thought about buying one but others say they are heavier and won't last that long.
Are you talking about the outdrives?

I have already used them before and I was very pleased with the results. They are much lighter than the steel ones decreasing rotation mass in the drive train which makes my car accelerate very very VERY quickly. They do wear out fast, but I used mine for about 10 full races days (6+ packs) with no problems, but you could see definite slot wear on them. If you don't mind paying the extra money for them, I think that they are well worth it.
Old 02-06-2002, 12:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally posted by diesel31
if you don't know what do w/ your $$$, go ahead and splurge on the irs. me, i'd opt for a factory team graphite chassis - save the loot and call it a day. unless you are building a collector's item, it's really not worth it. i don't know about you guys, but i race quite a bit, and i feel that cars are disposable. i have raced indoor electric on-road on a regular basis for the past 2 years, and i've gone through 2 FTTC3 and atleast 3 new chassis's. i have been so satisfied w/ this car, that i've become a repeat customer. after a few months of solid racing, nothing can bring your handling back like a new chassis. here's a question for you - when was the last time you saw billy easton, tony phalen, bad-ass baker, or any other team driver use all that hoochie-coochie stuff? you haven't. bottomline - they are team drivers because of their skills, not all that other fluff.
you sounded very upset. calm down. I'm just asking how does the IRS chassis perform.... coz it looks interesting. that's all.
Old 02-06-2002, 12:59 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by diesel31
if you don't know what do w/ your $$$, go ahead and splurge on the irs. me, i'd opt for a factory team graphite chassis - save the loot and call it a day. unless you are building a collector's item, it's really not worth it. i don't know about you guys, but i race quite a bit, and i feel that cars are disposable. i have raced indoor electric on-road on a regular basis for the past 2 years, and i've gone through 2 FTTC3 and atleast 3 new chassis's. i have been so satisfied w/ this car, that i've become a repeat customer. after a few months of solid racing, nothing can bring your handling back like a new chassis. here's a question for you - when was the last time you saw billy easton, tony phalen, bad-ass baker, or any other team driver use all that hoochie-coochie stuff? you haven't. bottomline - they are team drivers because of their skills, not all that other fluff.
GEE..........I'M SORRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe I like to be unique and not do what eveyone else does. I am the only one at the track with the IRS stuff...and guess what....I HAVE THE FASTEST CAR!!! I'm satisfied with the IRS stuff and I'm a repeat customer with them. Dave Irrgang is a very nice person and his customer service is excellent. Your right...the factory drivers don't use all this "hoochie-coochie" stuff...I dont really care what they use! If this stuff helps me drive better and run faster....why is it so bad. Sorry diesel31....next time I do something like this I'll give you a call so you can slap some sense into me...

"Hello Dave Irrgang, I would like to order yet another IRS complete grahite chassis conversion...because I like to go fast!"
Old 02-06-2002, 01:03 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by over gear

you sounded very upset. calm down. I'm just asking how does the IRS chassis perform.... coz it looks interesting. that's all.
over gear - The IRS stuff works great and you won't be disappointed. It made my FTTC3 handle alot better when I installed all the stuff than it did with the "regular" graphite chassis. If you have any more questions about their stuff you can ask me, or you can email Dave Irrgang, he is very nice and can answer all your question. Might want to keep it to Private Messaging though...or you might be killed for going against the crowd.
Old 02-06-2002, 01:21 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Modena AL
I am the only one at the track with the IRS stuff...and guess what....I HAVE THE FASTEST CAR!!!
I've been reading your posts and I want to say only what I think about those all aftermarket parts.

Basically almost all of yours know that I use an almost stock TC3 (well, it's a FTTC3, but almost stock). The only four (4) parts that I use that don't came from AE are:

- IRS Aluminium Input shafts. They are far lighter than the steel. Removes weight from the tranny.
- Trinity AL spur gear support. Before using I was changing spurs like a crazy, now they went without distorsions (tip: I bolt to the support with three screws rather than two). Improves spur gear longevity.
- Trinity AL center bearing brace. The plastic bearing brace don't give me much confidence, then I changed for my peace of mind.
- MIP shock shafts. basically because I change shock shafts periodically and the unobt. shafts are unavailable thru my LHS.

Those are the only parts that you should need to change from the stock TC3 incarnation. the rest is practice, practice and practice (huh! I said you that the only that is needed is practice? ) the rest of the car is excellent. If those 'top gun guys' don't need them, me too (and you should too).

The plastic outdrives are for their price the best bang for the buck you can get. If you ruin them, you only need to pay 4 or 5 bucks for another replacement, not 30 or 40 for an aftermarket part.
Old 02-06-2002, 01:38 PM
Tech Master

I've looked at the plastic outdrives, and held them...and I'm just not confident that they will hold up in a hard hit...or am I mistaken. I'd rather pay extra money to gurantee myself a finish, rather than break. Maybe I should give them a try...but I'll stick to whats working for me right now. Don't throw that practice makes perfect stuff at me... PERFECT practice makes PERFECT! and what a better way to do that than with a perfect car.

Sorry for being "different"...

FOR SALE: two (2) complete IRS tc3s....willing to trade for two bone stock tc3 because its not "cool" to be different and to spend all your earnings on "hoochie-coochie" stuff because factory team drivers don't need them because they "practice practice practie" and have insane skills....
Old 02-06-2002, 01:53 PM
Tech Elite

I've looked at the plastic outdrives, and held them...and I'm just not confident that they will hold up in a hard hit...or am I mistaken. I'd rather pay extra money to gurantee myself a finish, rather than break. Maybe I should give them a try...but I'll stick to whats working for me right now. Don't throw that practice makes perfect stuff at me... PERFECT practice makes PERFECT! and what a better way to do that than with a perfect car.
Modena:

First of all, I'm not trying to bash you. Simply I said that the plastic outdrives makes their work perfectly. I not saying that the '"hoochie-coochie" stuff' like you said don't work, much of us use them (see my car, I use few aftermarket parts).

I'm not a 'team driver'. I'm a 'proudly sponsored by my Visa/MC/AMEX card'. I don't have 'insane' skills, maybe I'm an average racer that some days are on the top positions and other are on the middle of the B main. Simply I discovered that some of those 'hoochie-coochie' stuff don't improve my lap times, only makes more 'eye-candy' cars.

I prefeer to invest on going to big races (proudly funded by myself, remember, I'm a VISA racer) and teach from the big guys rather than buying other stuff. I'm the first (like you and much of the forum colleagues) on seeing what used xxxx driver on those xxx race and got the TQ or won their main. If for those 'big guys with insane skills' is good, is good for me, no more, no less.

My apologies if seemed that I tried to bash you, but guys sometimes I feel that you're more interested on aftermarket parts than improving your lap times.
Old 02-06-2002, 02:50 PM
Regional Moderator

Sorry for being "different"...

FOR SALE: two (2) complete IRS tc3s....willing to trade for two bone stock tc3 because its not "cool" to be different and to spend all your earnings on "hoochie-coochie" stuff because factory team drivers don't need them because they "practice practice practie" and have insane skills....
Hello Everyone - just wanted to come on here and add my .02 cents. I race with Modena here in Memphis and for the most part he's right, his car is the fastest out there, quickest in acceleration and handles very well. If he's not hit by the checkered car then he'll finish in the top 3.

I also hear what all you other guys are saying about practice makes perfect, eye candy and so on and you may have a point as well but it's all a matter of choice and what works for one person may not necessarily work for someone else but then main thing is to keep the line of communication open so that your experience can be our experience. How else will we ever know if something works unless we get some sort of feed back from someone who may have gotten that particular part and actually has some usefull information to pass along before Team Visa/AMEX/MASTER CARD makes that purchase.

I'm a long time Tamiya man and I broke down and finally got a TC3 but i opted for the FTTC3 because of what I was hearing on similar threads as this. To be honest I'm glad that I read some of the pros and cons on these threads because it made my decision a lot easier.

Just a side note for all those who are interested: the Mid_South Racing Assoication will be holding it's 2nd annual "Beat the Heat Summer Bash" in August and everyone is invited to come. We are located in Memphis, TN and we race outdoor on asphalt outside of HobbyTown USA. If your interested email me at [email protected] and I'll put you on my mailing list.

Thank you all and good racing
Old 02-06-2002, 03:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

wow! i didn't realize i'd stir so much controversy. i'd like to apologize to anyoone that was offended. by no means was that my intention. what i was trying to say was that i have spent $$$ on the customization of my car(s), but there are some uprades that aren't totally necessary - in terms of cost to influence on performance. i, like several of you, race on a regular basis. racing has a tremendous amount of wear and tear on equipment, buy smart. use your hard earned dollars that are going to make a difference. again, sorry to p*ss y'all off.
Old 02-06-2002, 03:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think you're all crazy for spending money on anything to make the TC3 BETTER!!!! Crazy Nutty guys....

heh heh, ok, just kidding....trying to lighten things up a bit...

I think that if you think you can go faster than you currently are, try something new. In Modena's case, the Irrgang stuff helped him to become faster. Maybe it was as simple as a chassis change to something with different flex properties. Who knows. Point is, if you don't try, you won't know. That's the beauty of the aftermarket!!!
Old 02-06-2002, 03:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default web site

Just saw that you were on TP
thats right just get that damn stuff updated!! HAHA just kidding your site is really informative. BTW did you go to the ready race in Snetterton? Im stationed here and its only about 20-30 minutes or so really havent raced there dont think id enjoy racing in the wet cold etc.

As far as what I race on it is the Astro Turff which even though I havent raced on OZITE I would say it is like dusty carpet.
The only tires that reall work there 9after about 7 years of every one trying all sorts) are the schui mini pins or rally blocks but with the right set up you can see it has good traction so I will probably get the graphite chassis. My TC3 was a used one that was used for a lot of rally and has seen better days in the chassis dept. so with that and a good servo hopefully I will track better as the boards there really like to beat up your car.

what about the f/r braces would you suggest those in graphite as well
Old 02-06-2002, 05:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Does the NTC3 front bumper set fits the electric TC3?
Old 02-06-2002, 05:52 PM
Tech Regular

I want to go everywhere to see the race though TN? It's like milion light years from here.
Just kidding.

I agree with everybody here since I'm a newbie.

Currently my focus is on making my car as light as possible till I can just throw it and it flys away with the wind.

Thank god.
My graphite sets arrived.

At first they didn't look any different from composite ones.
As a rider I'm always in love with woven carbon fiber stuff.
They are just molded graphite. I think they put just a little power of carbon fiber.

They could break almost as well as composite ones.
I tried it with leftover runners.

I also tried pepsi challenge thing with my eye closed and to my surprise I could pick the graphite one every time.

They are LIGHTER!

For now I'm keeping them in the vinyl till I get aluminum screws.
My metal screws all got rust. (lust?)
I only installed battery holder in hoping to win a race.

Then I'll rebuild the car to make it as free as possible.

I want to try IRS graphite chassis so badly though.

The Price!

Maybe later.

My wish list right now is

- aluminum input shafts
- aluminum outdirves (?)
- threaded shocks with bleeder cap
- carbon fiber wheels
- teflon sealed bearings
- ti turnbuckles
- steering rack bearings
- robinson TC3 ultra spur gear
- steering rack cover
- A competitive racer with enough skill not to hit the wall on every curve.

Old 02-06-2002, 07:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by over gear
Does the NTC3 front bumper set fits the electric TC3?
i dont think so

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.