Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree14Likes

Tamiya F104 Pro!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 06:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

I need some help with a starting setup on very high grip asphalt for the X1. I'm attending the TCS race in MD in a couple weeks, but can't make it up there before race day so that's why I'm looking for a good starting setup. I'm thinking a high grip carpet setup would be a good starting point as well.

Also, do most run the heavy pivot or not?
Old 03-05-2012, 09:06 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Apex
I need some help with a starting setup on very high grip asphalt for the X1. I'm attending the TCS race in MD in a couple weeks, but can't make it up there before race day so that's why I'm looking for a good starting setup. I'm thinking a high grip carpet setup would be a good starting point as well.

Also, do most run the heavy pivot or not?
I wouldn't prepare my car as though it was high grip because you will still be on Tamiya tires.
I'd be thinking that it may act like medium grip at best so I would still use option rear and medium front tires cleaned with Simple Green every run.
Never found a sauce that worked on these tires after many, many types.
I'd still keep the rear set up light and loose (like women the same way ), 20 to 30wt oil, softest spring, cut out T bar, llight fluid on side damper and center screw backed out to allow the rear pod to droop as much as you can, soft o ring, blue or clear and black springs up front, heavy diff oil or AW grease on kingpins, with 0 camber, toed out to get it to turn into the corners but push coming out, ride height as per the manual.
To me the car always pushes into the corners and is loose coming out so I use lots of brake to turn it and throttle expo to ease on the power.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by F N CUDA
I wouldn't prepare my car as though it was high grip because you will still be on Tamiya tires.
I'd be thinking that it may act like medium grip at best so I would still use option rear and medium front tires cleaned with Simple Green every run.
Never found a sauce that worked on these tires after many, many types.
I'd still keep the rear set up light and loose (like women the same way ), 20 to 30wt oil, softest spring, cut out T bar, llight fluid on side damper and center screw backed out to allow the rear pod to droop as much as you can, soft o ring, blue or clear and black springs up front, heavy diff oil or AW grease on kingpins, with 0 camber, toed out to get it to turn into the corners but push coming out, ride height as per the manual.
To me the car always pushes into the corners and is loose coming out so I use lots of brake to turn it and throttle expo to ease on the power.
Thanks!
Old 03-06-2012, 03:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Just bought a F104 and took it out for a spin, when I brake hard the front end slides towards the diff side (back doesn't actually kick out), what causes that?
Old 03-06-2012, 05:51 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Is the car trimmed to go straight? Are you sure its not the back sliding out? The front wheels are free rolling/no drive so the front does nothing when braking. Only way the front end would move is if there is some steering input.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:04 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I have a F104X1 with the RSector high capacity lipo upgrade kit and want to use a shorty lipo. Has anyone tried that combination and if so, what are you using in front of the pack to keep it from being able to move foward on the chassis?
Old 03-06-2012, 07:21 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Did you put foam tape on the top plate? This should be able to secure the battery in place and you can put the speed control in front of the battery. If you like some spacing between the battery and the speed control then you can put a foam tape across the chassis to seperate them, similar to the picture in our website.

Thanks
Old 03-06-2012, 07:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by R-Sector
Did you put foam tape on the top plate? This should be able to secure the battery in place and you can put the speed control in front of the battery. If you like some spacing between the battery and the speed control then you can put a foam tape across the chassis to seperate them, similar to the picture in our website.

Thanks
Thank you for the quick answer. I just feel using the speedo as the forward stop is a recipe for disaster. A hard de-acceleration (like running straight into a board) may push the speedo completely off the chassis and your race is over (and you might even have a melt down if wiring gets broken). I'd prefer something a little more robust to lock the pack into place. Here's an opportunity for a new part for you!!!

Last edited by qwkpony; 03-06-2012 at 12:27 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

can anyone tell me what to use to break in the tamyia tires quickly?
is there any thing I can use on them to make them softer?
Old 03-06-2012, 06:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Has anyone tried running the Medium front and rear tires without insert?
Any feedback on the grip?
Old 03-06-2012, 07:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by evirobs
Has anyone tried running the Medium front and rear tires without insert?
Any feedback on the grip?
I've run the tamiya rear's both soft and hard without inserts.....not for me. I run low grip ashpalt, and after 3 or so laps the rear was horrible. I tried in our winter in the hope of better grip, but the car for me didn't work.

I have run the tamiya soft rear with the inserts that come with the pit shimzu inserts (much like a TC insert) and I believe that is a better option, but nothing compares to running the Pit Shimzu rears with a tamiya foam insert at my track. The wear and grip is great.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vicko
can anyone tell me what to use to break in the tamyia tires quickly?
is there any thing I can use on them to make them softer?
i found that a very light sand helped settle the tires in, but found a quick belt up and down the street help just as well.

when I was using them in the past, I found the best way to get them sort was applying some simple green, give them a great soak, then some FXII for about 45mins or so, and that help a lot. As a race meet processed and time was precious, then reapplying both just kept them in reasonable condition.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by qwkpony
I have a F104X1 with the RSector high capacity lipo upgrade kit and want to use a shorty lipo. Has anyone tried that combination and if so, what are you using in front of the pack to keep it from being able to move foward on the chassis?
You can do what Tony Phalen did with his F104 Pro X1:
http://www.competitionx.com/rc-suppo...7-electronics/

idbdoug
Old 03-06-2012, 08:24 PM
Tech Adept

the lower front arm has 2 3x40mm screws,do they make the lower arm stronger than without?

thanks
Old 03-06-2012, 08:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by idbdoug
You can do what Tony Phalen did with his F104 Pro X1:
http://www.competitionx.com/rc-suppo...7-electronics/

idbdoug
that is how we run them right now, using the side pieces with tape to the battery and the rsector top deck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.