Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree14Likes

Tamiya F104 Pro!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 04:20 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by FREAKAH
Good eyes. Had to pause it perfectly to see the cut in the T-plate. That should really help the 104's handling. I wonder if that T-plate is Tamiya's response to handlling complaints or if it was already in the pipeline at the 104's release. In any case I will get one when it's released.

However, i'm starting to think that the Pro's 3mm carbon chassis and 2mm upper plate is just too darn stiff. Like I said in an earlier post, a friend's F60 F104 looks fine on the track without skipping and jiggling over the bumps and he's running the stock stiff black T-plate. My cars rear traction is OK but it does hook on some turns. I just might chop the front portion of the upper plate and see how that goes.
I would just go to stiffer springs up front. Are you sure your running the same tires as Keiji and Bob?
Old 05-19-2010, 05:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Good eyes. Had to pause it perfectly to see the cut in the T-plate. That should really help the 104's handling. I wonder if that T-plate is Tamiya's response to handlling complaints or if it was already in the pipeline at the 104's release. In any case I will get one when it's released.

However, i'm starting to think that the Pro's 3mm carbon chassis and 2mm upper plate is just too darn stiff. Like I said in an earlier post, a friend's F60 F104 looks fine on the track without skipping and jiggling over the bumps and he's running the stock stiff black T-plate. My cars rear traction is OK but it does hook on some turns. I just might chop the front portion of the upper plate and see how that goes.
Here is my F104.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/6500026-post1380.html
Old 05-19-2010, 10:42 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by MaxSp97
Did you do anything else to it apart from removing that section of top plate?

Stock T-bar?,tires?

Do you run against other f104's, and if so doers yours handle better?

Being on a budget I like the idea of a mod that costs nothing, But its a pretty drastic mod.....
Old 05-19-2010, 11:33 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
I would just go to stiffer springs up front. Are you sure your running the same tires as Keiji and Bob?

I think I found the problem!

The problem I was having with my car was that the car was "hooking". It seemed like as I turned in, the car would continue turning and smack the pipe even as I tried to correct. Later at home while going through the car I found that the front suspension/kingpin would lock and bind throughout it's travel, especially with the wheels turned. It would even lock at full compression on the right side which would explain the nasty hook. I sprayed some heavy duty silicone spray into a cup and applied some drops to the kingpins and balls with small hex wrench and the problem went away. I guess that's what happens when you run the kingpins dry. I was planning on applying some heavy silicone grease to the kingpin for some dampening effect which would have prevented the problem but I was in a rush to get the car done so I forgot.
Come to think of it, it has to be the reason why the car would skip an jiggle over the small bumps. The binding suspension just wouldn't absorb the bumps.

Now i'm thinking about getting the titanium coated kingpin and low friction suspension balls just to make sure I get no problems with binding.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:39 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MaxSp97

Cool! I may have to try that.

What's holding the front of the pack in?
Old 05-20-2010, 07:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Cool! I may have to try that.

What's holding the front of the pack in?
I left the front part of the top deck intact -- the part that holds the battery retainer. The section behind that is cut out:

Old 05-20-2010, 11:45 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Ride wheel interference

The Ride wheels are almost 2mm smaller in diameter than the Tamiya wheels. This is no prob in the rear, but in the front, I just slipped a Ride wheel on and the lower part of kingpin interferes with the wheel by about 1mm.

I'm thinking of putting a spacer under the kingpin clip on top of the A-arm -- that should make enough clearance, but it will limit travel by 1mm.

Has anyone done this? Any handling problems?
Old 05-20-2010, 11:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Hey all,

Our local club is trying to get a rubber tire F1 class started (indoor carpet) and I was thinking of picking up an F60 but I had a few questions.

Does the F60 differ from the F104 Pro only in chassis material and lack of "blue bling"?

Does it have the same diff design of the F104 that allows you to take off the right rear wheel without disassembling the diff? What about the ride height adjustment?

I apologize in advance if this has been covered before but a cursory search didn't turn up much.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 05-20-2010, 03:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default rubber tire for carpet?

hi.

what tamiya rubber tire combination will work well on carpet?

thanks.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hyper_Mike
Hey all,

Our local club is trying to get a rubber tire F1 class started (indoor carpet) and I was thinking of picking up an F60 but I had a few questions.

Does the F60 differ from the F104 Pro only in chassis material and lack of "blue bling"?

Does it have the same diff design of the F104 that allows you to take off the right rear wheel without disassembling the diff? What about the ride height adjustment?

I apologize in advance if this has been covered before but a cursory search didn't turn up much.

Cheers,
Mike
The F60 axle is like 103 axle-the tire carries the thrust parts. Other than that, it's like the pro. I don't think you get the shock either.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

My recentley aquired F104 F60, from the TCS regional has the F103 style rear axle as robk mentioned.
Other differences are plastic motor/gearbox side plates, plastic diff hub and plastic bushings that go in it and monster sized pitch on the spur/pinion combo and metal bushings for the front wheels.
Also plastic pivot balls in the front end assembly.
So you'll need to replace all that stuff as well as the plastic non oil "boinger" shock.
Don't get me wrong, mine was a trophy so I can't beotch but it'll take some stuff to make it a race car.
The body is sick! Very cool.

It's built and ready to run, can't decide on paint tho.

Another red Ferrari?
It's got all the right stickers.
Old 05-22-2010, 02:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

is it worth putting the screws in the side pods to keep them secured to the main body or just use double sided tape?

thanks
Old 05-22-2010, 09:51 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Taman
is it worth putting the screws in the side pods to keep them secured to the main body or just use double sided tape?

thanks
If you fix 'em they will take a hit into the wall without comming off.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Thanks for the replies regarding the rear axle and diff design on the F60!

I was simply thinking that the FRP chassis of the F60 might be better suited for rubber-tire carpet racing as it should flex significantly more than the thick carbon chassis on the Pro and there seem to be a number of comments on here about how poor the Pro works with rubber tires on carpet.

This is what I was thinking of:

F60 + axle & diff from Pro + Shimizu or Ride rubber

I already have a TRF shock and Al or Ti steering links I can use on it.

For anybody that has gone down this road, does this sound reasonable? Am I thinking about this correctly?

Cheers,
Mike
Old 05-22-2010, 05:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Taman
thanks
I just finished mine the other day and ran it today.
I used "Shoe Goo" to secure the sidepods in a few spots (love this stuff, dries like hard rubber) and also the mirrors attatch with screws and those are the only ones I used.
It's holding up great.

Originally Posted by Hyper_Mike
Thanks for the replies regarding the rear axle and diff design on the F60!

I was simply thinking that the FRP chassis of the F60 might be better suited for rubber-tire carpet racing as it should flex significantly more than the thick carbon chassis on the Pro and there seem to be a number of comments on here about how poor the Pro works with rubber tires on carpet.

This is what I was thinking of:

F60 + axle & diff from Pro + Shimizu or Ride rubber

I already have a TRF shock and Al or Ti steering links I can use on it.

For anybody that has gone down this road, does this sound reasonable? Am I thinking about this correctly?

Cheers,
Mike
If I'm not mistaken, carpet likes the stiff chassis and asphalt likes the flex.
That is how I've always set up my car.
Carpet and asphalt are opposites.

Carpet gives mondo traction, too much, so adding flex to the chassis would add even more.
Stiffen it up so it will "slide" and rotate rather than "stick" and traction roll.
Kinda like a sway bar effect, add sway bar and lose traction on that end.
Am I right?

Asphalt is usually loose in the rear so add flex to soften up the rear and plant it more and create a push then dial steering back in a little at a time.

Gotta have the PERFECT tires tho or nothing is gonna work.

Anyone?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.