Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Equinox Balancer/lipo problem..help?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 11:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)
Default Equinox Balancer/lipo problem..help?

Ok so I think the last time I ran my lipo, I ran it a little low, and forgot to put a small charge on it, while it sat on the shelf for a week. I plug it into my Equinox balancer so I can charge it, and the ERROR LED is stuck on. I can't get it to Interface Mode to charge the damn thing, no matter what I do. Anyone have any idea what to do, or am I basically screwed?
Old 04-12-2009, 12:05 PM
Tech Master

Does anyone know anything about this? Is my lipo basically a paperweight now?
Old 04-12-2009, 12:19 PM
Tech Master

Ive looked everywhere online, and I guarantee not one person knows what to do. I am about to just throw this battery and balancer straight out the window into the woods.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:27 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Just to make sure you know whats going on, take a voltmeter and measure lipo voltage. I'm guessing you've overdischarged one or both cells. Take lipo and using NiMH setting, charge lipo at .5amp or 1amp until voltage is back up over minimum. Monitor this carefully while charging. Stop charging as soon as voltage is back over minimum and switch back to your normal lipo charge/balance charging. You can try charging alone w/o balancer, but if lipo is below min voltage, lipo charge routine may give you an error as well.

Starting voltage now above minimum should make everything ok. Watch lipo for a few cycles and if cell doesn't puff you're prob good.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:35 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Duster_360
Just to make sure you know whats going on, take a voltmeter and measure lipo voltage. I'm guessing you've overdischarged one or both cells. Take lipo and using NiMH setting, charge lipo at .5amp or 1amp until voltage is back up over minimum. Monitor this carefully while charging. Stop charging as soon as voltage is back over minimum and switch back to your normal lipo charge/balance charging. You can try charging alone w/o balancer, but if lipo is below min voltage, lipo charge routine may give you an error as well.

Starting voltage now above minimum should make everything ok. Watch lipo for a few cycles and if cell doesn't puff you're prob good.
I dont have a voltmeter. Is there any way I can just do that with my ICE? If the cell doesnt puff? Im in an apartment, if anything goes wrong, this whole place will burn to the ground.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

do u have a lipo cutoff on ur speed control
Old 04-12-2009, 12:39 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by B.A. Racer
do u have a lipo cutoff on ur speed control
Yeah I did, and it was on.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:40 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Duster_360

So you are saying take the lipo, plug it straight into the ICE via the deans plug, and start charging it at .5amp? How dangerous is this?
Old 04-12-2009, 03:36 PM
Tech Master

anyone?
Old 04-12-2009, 04:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

To get the best idea of what is going on, you'd need to get a voltmeter and test the cell voltages. I suspect that you ran it too low, and now the balancer is refusing to charge it. According to the Equinox manual, the Error LED should be blinking a code. 1, 2, or 3 flashes. Is yours doing that?
Old 04-13-2009, 11:12 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdyt13
So you are saying take the lipo, plug it straight into the ICE via the deans plug, and start charging it at .5amp? How dangerous is this?
Thats exactly what I'm saying, but only if you really have oversdischarged the lipo and the voltage is below minimum (~3v/cell). If the lipo has voltage in proper range, don't try this - your prob is elsewhere. Its time to buy a cheapie dvm - I think I paid $10 for the one i've got and for what it does, it does a fine job.

This is a typical recovery trick I've seen used with success for a lot of cases.