electric slayer

Old 04-10-2009, 12:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default electric slayer

I am looking into changing my slayer to electric and I have a few questions. I know I can get the ecs and motor seperatley, is there anything special that has to be done to make them work together or do they just plug in and go? Will the original reciever from the truck work with the new electric setup, if so, how does the reciever recognize not to work the throttle servo and run the motor? Will the original servo be retainned for the brakes after the throttle linkage is removed?
Old 04-10-2009, 12:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cassidy
I am looking into changing my slayer to electric and I have a few questions. I know I can get the ecs and motor seperatley, is there anything special that has to be done to make them work together or do they just plug in and go? Will the original reciever from the truck work with the new electric setup, if so, how does the reciever recognize not to work the throttle servo and run the motor? Will the original servo be retainned for the brakes after the throttle linkage is removed?
if you are doing the tekno conversion kit you use the same reciever and mechanical bake setup. You dont have to use the mechanical brakes. You can strip it all off and use the motor brake. The motor and esc you are buying need to be compatible with each other. Your esc must be able to run the motor you are putting in. If the esc can only run sensorless brushless motors and your motor is a sensored brushless it wont work. What combo do you plan on running??

Last edited by snowboard094; 04-10-2009 at 12:59 PM.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thanks for the link to techno, I am not sure what combo I would put in , I am just at the stage of looking into the conversion. Maybe a mamba system. I dont know much about the electric stuff. So, if I retain the mechanical brakes, the reciever is ok, but motor brakes require a different reciever? From what I understand from the reading I have done, keeping the mechanical brakes for this conversion is the way to go, and the esc will plug into the reciever and work the motor instead of a throttle servo? I am very mechanically inclined and am a auto technician, so I think I can do the swap, just want to make sure I understand how this electric stuff works.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Cassidy,

The kit comes with a y adapter. It plugs into the receiver, the other ends plug into the speed control and the brake servo. You will then turn the brakes to "none" and no drag brake in your esc settings. The brake servo will work the brakes and the speed control will operate the throttle.

I have the Blue Groove conversion for a slayer roller that I am waiting on. It is basically the same as the Tekno (direct drive instead of using the nitro clutch). A friend just did a conversion on his with the Mamba Monster and 2600kv combo. It is overkill with even a 11.1 lipo. Without dialing the power down in the esc, it has so much power that it'll start to wheelie and completely torque twist over in a roll. I am looking at using the Mamba Max with a lighter motor.

Originally Posted by cassidy
Thanks for the link to techno, I am not sure what combo I would put in , I am just at the stage of looking into the conversion. Maybe a mamba system. I dont know much about the electric stuff. So, if I retain the mechanical brakes, the reciever is ok, but motor brakes require a different reciever? From what I understand from the reading I have done, keeping the mechanical brakes for this conversion is the way to go, and the esc will plug into the reciever and work the motor instead of a throttle servo? I am very mechanically inclined and am a auto technician, so I think I can do the swap, just want to make sure I understand how this electric stuff works.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:26 PM
Tech Regular

I am currently converting my slayer to electric. The 2200kv mamba motor is too long to fit with the tekno conversion and the 2650kv is way out of the RPM range you need. You will also have to run mechanical brakes, the slayer like the revo has a one way bearing in the transmission that will prevent the motor from being used as a brake.

Lockhart
Old 04-10-2009, 02:29 PM
Tech Regular

Default Isn't that a slash?

Isn't a slayer an electric version of a slash ? Or is it set up different?
Old 04-10-2009, 02:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

The Slash is electric 2wd, the Slayer is nitro 4wd.

Originally Posted by elkman
Isn't a slayer an electric version of a slash ? Or is it set up different?
Old 04-10-2009, 02:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

Is the 2200 to big due to running the kit with the nitro clutch bell? Maybe you can gain the space needed by bypassing the clucth bell and doing a direct drive.

Originally Posted by Stallard
I am currently converting my slayer to electric. The 2200kv mamba motor is too long to fit with the tekno conversion and the 2650kv is way out of the RPM range you need. You will also have to run mechanical brakes, the slayer like the revo has a one way bearing in the transmission that will prevent the motor from being used as a brake.

Lockhart
Old 04-10-2009, 02:51 PM
Tech Regular

Default OK

Originally Posted by Qfactor
The Slash is electric 2wd, the Slayer is nitro 4wd.
Didn't know they were 4WD.