Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Courtney Marine Corps Base Off-Road Track Okinawa Japan

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 04:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Someone still running Nitro? man that's old school, but I'm looking for steam powered buggy!

Biggest problem with bigger batteries is harder to get 4s or more....and more $$
Old 12-17-2009, 04:15 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Mr. Bojangles
Thanks Matt. Preciate the heads-up. I dunno what I'm gonna do. I like the idea of lower kv/ bigger battery. We shall see though. And whatever you do, do NOT get rid of your Nitro...
Yes, please don't get rid of your Nitro. I'm really looking forward to tearing it up with you guys as I've just made some changes to the D8 and I want to have some folks to run with.

Swaped out the EB Mods Go 5 port to a Massive Mods Go Tech 3 port, as well as changed my front shock oil to .5wt less than the rear (reccomended setting for a D8), and bolted up a set of ProLine Calibers in M2 compound.

I'm itching to see how she does...

As far as the battery discussion going on, as I mentioned, a lot of folks are using lower KV motors with 5S or 6S batteries. Keeps everything much cooler and supposed to add reliability.

With that said though, 5S and 6S batteries (or two 3S battieries in parallel) get sorta expensive, and to my knowledge a 5S or 6S in hardcases are sorta limited, so I still plan to use the Mamba 2200kv set up on 4S.

I think it'll be plenty fast.

As for the track, any takers on which weekend you guys would willing to help? I've heard all this talk about how we don't have the equipment to finish the track, etc, and now we have an opportunity to get it, so we should take advantage of it while it's up for the taking.

Anyone with me?

- Paulie
Old 12-17-2009, 04:34 PM
Tech Regular

I will be out this Sunday to do what I can w/o power tools. I can be available for either long w/e for the tamper..... I think the new years w/e may be better than Christmas.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:31 PM
Tech Initiate

Nah never Josh. Tried and true is where nitro is at. Ill say this though, the lipo had the power on tap and you have to totally change your driving style. If you are not used to rolling the throttle versus blipping the throttle you will wear out the drive train really fast. These motors have tons of power. Also, just remember the bigger batteries that you put in makes for a heavier ride, different handling, and murder on the suspension. But tons of power, it will make you smile every time.

Oh I am with you Paulie. Just got done building this Mugen and the V-Spec still needs to be broken in. Happy christmas to me!!! I'd break it in here but I wnat to break it in with fuel I will be running there. I also picked up a set of the calibers and they do look most impressive. I cant wait to see how they hook up. Have heard good things about them. The only thing I am kind of peaved about them is that they were premounts and the were glued in a way that I have no choice in running them with either triangle forward or reverse. Too bad because I was looking forward to seeing the difference in the directional treads.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:22 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by wolfeml

I also picked up a set of the calibers and they do look most impressive. I cant wait to see how they hook up. Have heard good things about them. The only thing I am kind of peaved about them is that they were premounts and the were glued in a way that I have no choice in running them with either triangle forward or reverse. Too bad because I was looking forward to seeing the difference in the directional treads.
Hmm, what do yo mean "were glued in a way that I have no choice in running them with either triangle forward or reverse".

If you can have them all going in the same direction (forward lets say), than just switch the left/right, and they'll be going in the oppisite direction.

I bought the premounts also, and the package of 2 came with one going in one direction, and the other in the opposite direction.

- Paulie
Old 12-17-2009, 09:08 PM
Tech Adept

All,

I will be available Sat or Sun to work the site, please let me know who and when you will be there so we can meet up.

As for the upcoming holiday weekends, I am available both weekends, and do not have a prefference on which one to use the equipment. either way, I will be there.

Now on to more pressing issues.

I suggest we hold the official opening on 9 Jan, this will allow the CG, Camp Commander, Seabee's, PAO and all others to participate in the opening, it also allows for coordination with the cub/boy scouts and other interested parties.

I will be working with PAO over the holiday break to write an article regarding the track, etc. I do need a good time for them to come out when everyone will be working, running for photos and intervies, etc.

The article will run in the Jan 8th paper, we can use this to announce the Opening event.

I am well aware that this day may not work with everyone's schedule, however, I will be going TAD for a while shortly after this, it is the start of the exercise/deployment season again and it will loosely meet the intent of having this done by the end of the month.

I suggest we go into the next few weeks with the mindset of pushing to get the tracks done, marked, packed, signage, etc. if we focus on track completion, and "TEST" only when necessary we can easily meet this goal.

If we work for 3 hrs and then bash for 2-3 we are being counter productive.

By pushing to get it done now, keeping last minute changes to a minimum and getting the area open we can then persue the next task, drivers stand, etc.

There is alot of buzz right now about the tracks, parents getting the kids starter set ups or PX specials and adults getting back into a long forgotten, or new and challenging hobby, I suggest we capitalize on this and use the timing of the opening and holiday season to show a strong turnout for the opening day.

Please let me know what you think.Rob
Old 12-17-2009, 09:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Robert,

I will not be available this weekend. But the two weekends of Christmas and New years I should be good.

Paulie,

I think the New Years weekend would be best to use the equipment. Most people will be concentrating on Christmas, and New Years is just a reason to party. So I vote for the New Years weekend to get the equipment. I have an suv that i can put the equipment in (if it fits) and I live on Kadena if thats where it is. Thanks,

Josh
Old 12-17-2009, 09:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

All about NY weekend for working on the track... don't forget night slash bash on the 1st show up, 5pm the racing starts.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:14 PM
Tech Regular

NY w/e works for me as well.

Robert, I plan on being out Sunday ,all day, should be there by 0930.

Jason, I will bring the batteries and lightly tuned motor that the "beginners" use.....................hehehe

Have I mentioned how friken huge the BAJA 5T is
Old 12-17-2009, 11:41 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by chemfrk
All,

I will be available Sat or Sun to work the site, please let me know who and when you will be there so we can meet up.
I will be there Sunday around 1000am (I think Iggy and Ken will be there as well). I hope somebody left tools, rakes, shovels, etc on site cause I do not own any.

As for the upcoming holiday weekends, I am available both weekends, and do not have a prefference on which one to use the equipment. either way, I will be there.
I'm leaning towards Christmas weekend because Josh is right, most people will be with their families. If we do it over New Years when more people may make it out there, there will only be so many people "gainfully employed" working on the track, and the rest who aren't using the equipment will end up driving on the track, which as I understand it is rubbing some folks the wrong way. Plus, there is a chance I could get the equipment for both wekends if I tell them we didn't finish it during Christmas weekend.

I suggest we hold the official opening on 9 Jan, this will allow the CG, Camp Commander, Seabee's, PAO and all others to participate in the opening, it also allows for coordination with the cub/boy scouts and other interested parties.

The article will run in the Jan 8th paper, we can use this to announce the Opening event.

There is alot of buzz right now about the tracks, parents getting the kids starter set ups or PX specials and adults getting back into a long forgotten, or new and challenging hobby, I suggest we capitalize on this and use the timing of the opening and holiday season to show a strong turnout for the opening day.

It will loosely meet the intent of having this done by the end of the month.
Robert, I know said someone else told your leadership it would be done by the end of the month and was not your doing, but I do feel that it was kinda unrealistic for that person to impose a deadline on a facility being completed entirely of volunteers by people way outside of his chain of command.

With that said, I love the idea of an official grand opening. I have a contact at Public Affairs and if they are interested can join in on the festivities and give us some more exposure.

On the other hand, having a grand opening suggests the facility is finished, which without a drivers stand to actually drive from, it isn't. Showcasing a track that's finished, but with no drivers stand to safely drive from raises some concerns...

1) On a positive note, it'll showcase the fact that we in fact DO need a drivers stand and this is a good way to build support from base leadership to get us an ISO and allow us to put it on site.

2) On a negitive note, the buzz a grand opening generates will surely attract new folks to this hobby. If they think the facility is finished and start to drive on it without a proper drivers stand to drive from, it could cause a safety issue, not to mention a lot of new drivers will no doubt get frustrated if they keep mising jumps and breaking their cars because they can't see. That part of it won't keep them coming back if they are constantly having to spend money to fix their cars to drive on the track.

Just my 2 cents (which is probably worth about a half a Yen at the moment, considering the exchange rate)

- Paulie
Old 12-18-2009, 12:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Do we really need the equipment for more than two days? If we use them for 8 hours a day for two days, I imagine we can get what we need to get done with the equipment. I was thinking more of using the equipment over New Years. I would like to help over Christmas holiday but I am limited on time that weekend...(wife wants to spend time together)...

I will not be running on the track anymore until we have a drivers stand. I have already broke my buggy on that triple because of it. I do believe we should limit or suggest to people not to run on the track anymore. I had fun, but we need to go out there and finish this thing so we can start really having fun!

Just an opinion...
Old 12-18-2009, 12:38 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Mr. Bojangles
Do we really need the equipment for more than two days? If we use them for 8 hours a day for two days, I imagine we can get what we need to get done with the equipment. I was thinking more of using the equipment over New Years. I would like to help over Christmas holiday but I am limited on time that weekend...(wife wants to spend time together)...

I will not be running on the track anymore until we have a drivers stand. I have already broke my buggy on that triple because of it. I do believe we should limit or suggest to people not to run on the track anymore. I had fun, but we need to go out there and finish this thing so we can start really having fun!

Just an opinion...
I'm with ya Josh...

So it seems the general consensus is New Years weeekend. I'll contact my "contact" Monday and set it up.

So without that, and a drivers' stand, what's left?

Lets come up with a GOOD list so we have some direction...

So far:

- Build a layer of dirt where the small pipe goes into the big pipe on the outside of the main straight

- Stake the tubing down on the 1/8th scale course

- Lay out the orange tubing for the 1/10th scale course and nail it down

- Use the rope to make parking spots and nail it down

- Build an elevated pit lane

- Fill in areas of the 1/8th scale course that may have gotten rutted, etc.

- Re-rake any areas on any track that need it to remove what rocks we can to ensure good use of the heavy equipment when we get it on New Years weekend.

- Have someone facilitate with the Fire Department or anyone who can get a long hose for use on New Years weeekend so we can wet the track down before packing.

What else?

- Paulie
Old 12-18-2009, 12:41 AM
Tech Regular

My opinion, and last input. I will go with the majority. I have no problem working this w/e and the next 2 long ones. My problem is the issue with the drivers stand, and I quess I don't have the whole story. We can either have one or we can't, Robert you are the one to answer this. What I don't want is to bust our butts, spend our time and money and 3,4,5 weeks from now still no stand and find out that because of red tape we can't put anything out there that resembles a permanent stucture.

My suggestion; continue to work on all tracks with a little playing thrown in. We could look at cutting off the back section of the 1/8 track and only run the section closest to where the stand should go. There is plenty of work left to be done, but most of us have been waiting patiently since April to run our offroad stuff so I'm not sure it is right to say all work and no play.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:59 AM
Tech Adept

All,

Paulie and Josh have some valid concerns regarding the facility, drivers stand, etc.

Paulie, if you can engage the AF public affairs, that woould be great, I am already working with the OkiMar folks, and have a long history with the Chief and Media chief there.

As for the individual that told the CG the completion date, they were asked in a mtg with the CG, and stated a date, the CG then replied "I want it done by the end of the month".

I am sure that they are well aware of the volunteers and the time allocated for this project.

That being said, the Camp COmmander and Deputy Commander, stopped me in the Commissary yesterday, the entire conversation consisted of very direct questions regarding progress, percentage complete and actual use (was anybody actually using it?, etc)

The driver stand continues to be our bigest issue at this point,
Next week I will have an opportunity to visit a few folks at their offices and discuss this very issue,

I have not given up yet, and I hope you all do not give up either, In my opinion, it is an education piece at this point, they don't know what they don't know,

I plan on using the opening date as a tool to get something, anything for now, if a permanent solution can be found, all the better.

As for folks driving, no worries, a little bashing as a nice reward for the some hard work is always well deserved, after all that's what the last 9 months have been about...let's just be smart about it..

I will have my tools there, and I will be picking up a few of those big rakes we were using a few weekends back, (Foster has them)

I am all for getting the equipment the first weekend, and then if possible again the next to fine tune the tracks...etc.

Thanks for the dialogue, I look forward to seeing you all on sunday...

Rob
Old 12-18-2009, 10:30 AM
Tech Initiate

yeah I tried that Paulie, but only if I could run 3 tires on one side of the truggy could I get all the directions of the tires the same. When buying a set they are supposed to come with the ability to run the set in the front or the rear, not the right side or the left side. I guess the guy gluing this side fudged it up. Maybe Ill just drop the money to get a new set for the front to keep the consistancy. I guess this is what I get for being lazy and not glueing them myself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.