Community
Wiki Posts
Search

need help on corally rdx

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 04:56 AM
Tech Rookie

Default need help on corally rdx

i have just got into touring after coming out of 1/8 buggy...raced my first race sunday and did 3- 5 minute qual. and a 5 min main and my car was perfect.....went to drive it yesturday and it is pulling BAd to the left, after looking at it i relized that the rear left tire is not spinning, so the faster moving right tires are forcing it to pull to one side and spin out "doing donuts"...so i tightend the diff and it fixed the problem but now the diff is so tight i cant even take a turn with it because the rear end will slide right around, so i started loosing it up a little at a time and still same thing, so i swapped out my whole diff with all new balls,bearings,bolts,washers and etc and it is still ding the same thing....It is acting like the right rear will not stop spinning...the way i see it is when i take a turn the rear outside tire shouldnt spin because that is what forces it to spin out, so example is when i take a right turn the left rear tire dosnt spin and it will take the turn perfect...but when i go around a right hand turn the right rear tire is not doing the diff action and is still spinning causing it to spin around...it is just buggin the crap out of me to why it is doing this, i dont see how the left rear can be working the diff but, the right rear is stuck in like locked mode
Old 04-07-2009, 05:00 AM
Tech Elite

If it is the old style RDX diff's check that the diff screw is not broken. they had a bad habbit of breaking off in the diff half.....
Old 04-07-2009, 05:07 AM
Tech Rookie

ive checked everything, rebuilt everything twice so far..ive ran the diff so tight where it will work but spin out in a turn, and so loose where its to loose, and just slips, it just bugs be to why the right rear will not use the "diff action" when i go into the turn...i would think if it would take a right turn perfect, then it should go around a left turn just as well, sence the diff is all one piece...another example is..it takes no pressure at all to hold the left rear tire, to make the right spin...but when i go to hold the right rear tire it actually takes alot of pressure to keep it from spinning..i can set the left tire on a table and just lay the car wieght on it and the diff will work and make it not spin..but when i try that with the right tire i have to put the cars weight on it and then, push down with my hands also to keep it from spinning
Old 04-07-2009, 08:09 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

What happens when you hold the car in the air, hold the spur gear from spinning, and spin a rear tire? then spin the other rear tire? Do you get differential action on both ends? Are you sure you aren't running a one-way in the rear? are you sure it is built properly, thrust and all?
Old 04-07-2009, 08:37 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Are all of your wheel bearings good?
Old 04-07-2009, 08:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Take the diff out of the car and see if when you spin each side diff half that it actually works as a diff. If you spin the left half forward the right half should spin backwards and vice verse.

If that seems to be working, check the bearings in the diff carries and the rear hubs. The bearings in the hubs have a tendency to blow out if you hit lots of things..

IF all seems fine, the last thing to check would be the C-clip that holds the thrust bearing assembly in. That clip has a "flat" side and a rounded side. I have seen them bent slightly, and they would "catch" on the diff half and not let the diff work.

Also I see you have said a couple of times that you have ran the diff "so tight", if you over tighten the diff you can crush the thrust assembly cone washers. That can cause ALL types of problems.

When rebuilding, tighten down maybe a half turn of the screw at a time, then work the diff back and forth a few times. Then tighten half turn, work the diff some more.

ONCE you feel it just starting to tighten up, put a allen key or wrench in each diff half and try to hold them and spin the pulley. You should be able to force the pulley with just a decent amount of force..if its really easy to turn. Tighten the screw only about 1/4 turn try to spin the pulley again. Do this until you can just barley make the pulley break free..

Hope this helps.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:01 AM
Tech Elite

Also had to do some digging...but read this.

http://www.corallyusa.com/2005/diffs.htm
Old 04-07-2009, 02:36 PM
Tech Rookie

I have tried all this stuff, i have 3 complete diffs, not only did i try all three i have also rebuilt 1 of them with all new parts, ive checked bearings, and everything. i spin one tire and the other tire spins backwards, but when i set it down the left tire will not spin and the right tire does all the spinning, it just makes no sence, and for the past 2 days it is keeping me up driving me nuts..gettin a tc5 hopfully this weekend, if corally dosnt last no more than 15 minutes of racing than it sucks anyways
Old 04-07-2009, 02:58 PM
Tech Elite

how about your pin's in the CVD's, and or wheel hex's?

or a possible striped out wheel hex...
Old 04-07-2009, 03:03 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

if you have taken the diff out of the car, (holding just the diff in your hands) and it seems to work properly, which means if you hold the gear/belt piece in the middle, and rotating one outdrive spins the other out drive the oppositite direction... AND the other way... then the problem isn't in your diff, its somewhere between the outdrive and the wheel. Could be something really simple like a boung bearing, bend shaft, hub carrier issue.. etc.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MAD916
how about your pin's in the CVD's, and or wheel hex's?

or a possible striped out wheel hex...
x1
i was just about to post that
Old 04-07-2009, 04:26 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hey, before getting rid of your RDX, know that it is easily as good a car as the TC5, and since we can't physically inspect your car on here you should take out the diff and let one of the racers at your track check out the car. It sounds like the CVD pin inside the rear hub has came loose and the pin has recessed from the axle. Very very common, if that's not it a good way to narrow down your inspection is to completely remove the right rear hub, and inspect the hub/axle/bearings to ensure free movement with and without the wheel attached. You will most likely find your problem, or at least find it more easily. Next, without the rear hub still disconnected, slide a hex wrench through the right rear outdrive and spin your front wheels slowly, it should be fairly easy to do. Most importantly find the exact point of unwanted friction, if you still have problems PM me, or tell us how far you narrowed it down. Look on the bright side, you'll have a couple spare diff that are very useful , and you'll know more about the car afterwards! It is an excellent car.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:27 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ridinbikes247
I have tried all this stuff, i have 3 complete diffs, not only did i try all three i have also rebuilt 1 of them with all new parts, ive checked bearings, and everything. i spin one tire and the other tire spins backwards, but when i set it down the left tire will not spin and the right tire does all the spinning, it just makes no sence, and for the past 2 days it is keeping me up driving me nuts..gettin a tc5 hopfully this weekend, if corally dosnt last no more than 15 minutes of racing than it sucks anyways
Well as has been posted, if the Diff out side the car works....then the problem is in the hubs, cvd, hex..something in that area.

I have ran Corally's for almost 5 years now..it should last longer than 15 mins thats for sure..LOL

This is a long shot, but after re-reading your posts again...you said something about the diff keeps loosening up then you have only one tire that spins.. Double check and make sure you have the diffs in the correct way. They would spin and work correctly for a little bit until they backed themselves off..

Looking from the rear to the front of the car..the longer side of the rear diff should be on the drivers side.

Its really hard to get to a problem like this sithout having the car right in front of you...I bet it ends up being something VERY MINOR.

Also, pull the left side hex off and see if there is a pin in the axle..
Old 04-07-2009, 05:44 PM
Tech Elite

Ridin- YGPM with my cell number. give me a ring I may be able to talk you through this better than typing it out..LOL
Old 04-08-2009, 06:19 AM
Tech Rookie

Call it crazy but after last night, relizing everything works out of the car and it would do a right turn fine I tried my last resort..new tires..after looking I found that I had 2 yellow tires on the front and 1 yellow on the right rear..my left rear was a green dot...so I'm guessing the yellow dotted tire was out gripping the green dot causing it to spin out..severely..so I put 4 green tires on and it finally works

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.