Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
The Speed Passion Thread >

The Speed Passion Thread

Like Tree57Likes

The Speed Passion Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 06:16 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Hi Everyone Had something funky happen at our race this weekend. I was running my Speed Passion GT2.0 with a 4.23 gear and Max timeing I didn't gain or lose on anyone but motor temps came off at about 150F so i droped a tooth and still motor temps 150F drop another tooth which now im at a 4.43 gear and still 150*. I have a friend that has a GT2.0 he is geared at a 4.33 and he comes off no hotter then 120 supposetly with timeing maxed. our cars are the same. No binding everything moves free. I have the aluminum motor clamp and heat sink with a fan mounted. Now this last race he used a GTB and was able to keep up with the speed passion so is the timeing realy even needed. is the GT more for large long tracks? or what the hell am I just doing wrong Thank you
Old 10-12-2009, 06:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Max timing on the motor or the speedo?
Old 10-12-2009, 06:32 AM
Tech Addict

Yes. DRRS Maxed Timeing Maxed and was to start geared the same as my friend running the GT2.0 and im not faster or slower then anyone. Honestly with everything maxed (motor timeing stock) I was equal to the Novak GTB in the infield and on the streight and the GTB dosn't have a timeing feature
Old 10-12-2009, 06:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wiscnitro
Yes. DRRS Maxed Timeing Maxed and was to start geared the same as my friend running the GT2.0 and im not faster or slower then anyone. Honestly with everything maxed (motor timeing stock) I was equal to the Novak GTB in the infield and on the streight and the GTB dosn't have a timeing feature
What motor are you running?
Old 10-12-2009, 06:49 AM
Tech Addict

21.5 Novak
Old 10-12-2009, 06:54 AM
Tech Elite

21.5 Novak
I think you are going the wrong way with the gearing then, I didn't realize it's a 21.5. Try adding teeth back and getting under a 4.0 final drive (maybe 3.8 or 3.9 to start) and see where your temps are then.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:55 AM
Tech Champion

21.5 Novak
Ah, try maxing out the motor timing too, the 21.5 is a tricky one. I've also found that there are minor gains over a fairly big range of gearing. How long was your straight? if it's fairly short you may not notice any gains.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:59 AM
Tech Addict

Can't go lower then 4.20 (VTA rules) I was gona try a test and set the ESC timeing to 0 deg and work on gearing then when its close start working up on the ESC timeing even though I was told to max out everything can someone from Speed Passion chime in on this. I had my heat sink pop off in the last 3 min of a 5 min race and my motor temp came off at at about 175* so is there a ESC problem or dose it need a update Kinda pisses me off when a GTB is just as good and dosn't have to wory about motor temps and I did buy my ESC new.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:03 AM
Tech Elite

Well if you are limited to that gearing I say you need to experiment with adding timing on the motor and possibly backing off the timing on the speed control if temps are too high. With limited gearing options you will have to compensate in other ways.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:04 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by MikeXray
Ah, try maxing out the motor timing too, the 21.5 is a tricky one. I've also found that there are minor gains over a fairly big range of gearing. How long was your straight? if it's fairly short you may not notice any gains.
we have a short streight (not sure how long) I can hear the motor pulling into a higher range about 3/4 down the streight but infield dosnt help and this weekend showed that the Novak GTB is just as good in performance as the GT2.0 I didn't have any metter accleration or top end then the guys using a GTB
Old 10-12-2009, 07:08 AM
Tech Elite

we have a short streight (not sure how long) I can hear the motor pulling into a higher range about 3/4 down the streight but infield dosnt help and this weekend showed that the Novak GTB is just as good in performance as the GT2.0 I didn't have any metter accleration or top end then the guys using a GTB
Don't give up on it yet. Every motor and speedo combination have their own little sweet spot. It can take some time to find it.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:09 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by M-Technic
Well if you are limited to that gearing I say you need to experiment with adding timing on the motor and possibly backing off the timing on the speed control if temps are too high. With limited gearing options you will have to compensate in other ways.
im gonna try 0 esc timeing and work on all gearing since thats what the GTB is no timeing advance on the esc. I see on the speed passion site there is a update for stock class its supposed to improve bottom end power from the speed passion site
For GT2.0 LPF and GT2.0 Pro:

New software version number "090312a" This is software had improve the bottom end power and top speed, special for stock class.

is the update worth spending the extra $30 for the pro programer?
Old 10-12-2009, 07:16 AM
Tech Champion

im gonna try 0 esc timeing and work on all gearing since thats what the GTB is no timeing advance on the esc. I see on the speed passion site there is a update for stock class its supposed to improve bottom end power from the speed passion site
For GT2.0 LPF and GT2.0 Pro:

New software version number "090312a" This is software had improve the bottom end power and top speed, special for stock class.

is the update worth spending the extra $30 for the pro programer?
Yes its good to have the ability to update the ESC, I forget that mine have the newer software. If you are only looking for acceleration and are ok on the top end spectrum, I would try gearing in the 5.0+ range with full timing and see if you get more out of the corners. The one time I ran VTA on a very tight track, we were all equal speed wise with a vast different in esc's, the car setup was much more important, you had to carry more speed into a corner because you weren't going to make it up with rip. I was running my sp2.0 at 4.3, my friend was running his at 5.2, another was running a tekin RS (not sure on gearing), another had a Sphere, all were the same. The same cars on a track with a 90' straight I could walk the car with the sphere after 1/4 of the straight by about 8ft!
Old 10-12-2009, 07:19 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Agree too. Having the Pro programmer card is a big plus if you are serious about racing. Especially if you race with guys running Tekin RS units.

Anyone running a Tekin Redline 21.5 motor and the Speed Passion GT2.0 Pro or LPF? What are some fo the settings you recommend with this combo for VTA?
Old 10-12-2009, 07:54 AM
Tech Regular

Default SP GT2 PRO

I have a few questions ref my GT2, At the moment Im not running the pack of 4 power caps that came in the kit?? should I be and what difference will it make. I currently run 13.5 using an Sp motor. The power caps that came with the esc take up a lot of room is there any thing else I could use that is smaller.
Im about to start the indoor carpet season here in the UK, Racing 13.5 with rubber tyres any advise on esc settings Timing etc.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.