Search
Like Tree6Likes

Schumacher Mi4

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 04:58 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Bearings

Has anyone had trouble with the dog bone not going into the spool far enough to keep it in there.I have 4 Mi4 that has been converted to LP's.One of them is a black out version and the axle is not going into the spool far enough,it can come out. It looks like to me the out side wheel bearing needs to be 1-2 mm thiner than the bearing offerd.PLEASE CAN ANYONE HELP WITH PART NO. OR FIX.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jtsbell
Has anyone had trouble with the dog bone not going into the spool far enough to keep it in there.I have 4 Mi4 that has been converted to LP's.One of them is a black out version and the axle is not going into the spool far enough,it can come out. It looks like to me the out side wheel bearing needs to be 1-2 mm thiner than the bearing offerd.PLEASE CAN ANYONE HELP WITH PART NO. OR FIX.
How many shims do you have against the bulkheads?
Old 03-13-2011, 10:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Might be just my stupid question, but are you using LP setups with Mi4 longer wishbones?
Old 03-13-2011, 12:03 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by lochness42
Might be just my stupid question, but are you using LP setups with Mi4 longer wishbones?
That was my first thought to.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I had asked earlier if the CX was actually better then the LP, I was told yes.
Both cars are setup for 21.5 for the upcoming Roar Carpet Nats. LP has tested tried and true SP esc and motor. CX has untested Novak 1s esc (running on 2s with D3 motor) No boost both cars.

Well Yesterday was my first chance to run the car, I practiced with the LP and just let the CX sit. I wanted a good base line to go from, Fastest I could get was a 14.1 with the LP, for the first Heat I used the CX, this was the first time the car ever hit the track. Fast Lap.... 13.6, I used the same body and tires off the LP. I set it up using Martin's setup posted earlier.

I made some changes to the LP to match the CX's setup, went 14.0 both chassis still need some adjusting, back end frees up around 5 minute mark. possible to much rear toe heating the tires up.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Hi, has anyone had trouble with the spur on the CX when running 17.5 no timing? I stripped every tooth off the spur almost instantly. I was running the spur on the battery side. I have since swapped it back to the motor side. I have heard of one other person having issues.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default bearings

Originally Posted by SRW141
How many shims do you have against the bulkheads?
I'm using the set up out of the back of the manual whitch is 2mm .
Old 03-14-2011, 01:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

Originally Posted by Shev
Hi, has anyone had trouble with the spur on the CX when running 17.5 no timing? I stripped every tooth off the spur almost instantly. I was running the spur on the battery side. I have since swapped it back to the motor side. I have heard of one other person having issues.

Thanks in advance.
I run 17.5 boosted and use a HW so have the spur on the battery side and have had zero issues even when running 30 odd tooth pinions. Did you have the pinion gap to great as i have had an issue with an xray previously and having too great a gap and stripping the spur clean. At least its a quick change if you have the parts

Playing around with set up this weekend and ive had it playing around with the medium flex arms and hubs. Creates too inconsistent a handling car for my liking and persist as i may i still cannot get the car as quick as it was the first day out of the box. Im going back to kit i think with the Hofer suggested roll centers and well see how we go again.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Thanks Benzaah,

Maybe I will try the battery side again, could have been something I missed. I'll blame myself first. It's good to hear that you are running how I would like to run my car and having no issues with it. I'll swap it back after I try it the way it is now. The car was certainly awesome for handling and speed. There were no complaints there.

Thanks again for your help.

Scotty G... Did you win the Tazzie titles or what!
Old 03-14-2011, 04:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Hi Guys,

Anyone having problems with the CX stepping out on power out of corners??

Thanks in advance
Old 03-14-2011, 06:13 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks in advance.
Did you have the motor too far forwards in the holding bracket which stopped you being able to move the motor back and forth freely and stops the spur and pinion meshing correctly? I've found the meshing needs to be quite tight on my CX which is at odds with other cars I have driven.

I had the same problem tried everything needless to say when I worked out what I'd done I felt utterly utterly stupid.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:33 AM
Tech Master

Thanks in advance.
The one thing I done (which is not in the manual) is to insert the layshaft bolt from the opposite side to the motor mount.
I did this as I found the spur had too much play when set up as manual.
It also makes the car a little quieter.
This is on LP, but should be same on CX.
(use as manual, just put bolt in from other side, and locker in other side, all spacers stay as before).
Old 03-14-2011, 09:01 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks Benzaah,

Maybe I will try the battery side again, could have been something I missed. I'll blame myself first. It's good to hear that you are running how I would like to run my car and having no issues with it. I'll swap it back after I try it the way it is now. The car was certainly awesome for handling and speed. There were no complaints there.
Also check to make sure that the layshaft has not worked loose just enough to move the spur a bit - it is something I check every few runs just to make sure nothing has loosened.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:06 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Brokin Racing
Hi Guys,

Anyone having problems with the CX stepping out on power out of corners??

Thanks in advance
Too much flex on front yokes/caster blocks. The more grip the less flex you need. I'm running standard/hard blocks on carpet and i would say my setups strongest point is powering out of corners.

Stepping out on power is most commonly the diff too tight, dry and need of a rebuild. Free it up as much you can without it slipping.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NiMo
The one thing I done (which is not in the manual) is to insert the layshaft bolt from the opposite side to the motor mount.
I did this as I found the spur had too much play when set up as manual.
It also makes the car a little quieter.
This is on LP, but should be same on CX.
(use as manual, just put bolt in from other side, and locker in other side, all spacers stay as before).
The instructions for the way the layshaft is different between the lp and cx. Little space washer goes on the screw head side of the shaft on the cx. Perhaps this is the issue.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.